Custom Search

2019 Lincoln Aviator Introduced Here !

Welcome to Blue Oval Forums

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Blue Oval Forums.  You must first register to create topics and post replies. Registration is a quick and easy process and only takes a minute.  Be apart of Blue Oval Forums by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images
  • Use the Shout feature and more. . .
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

1979 T-bird?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   svastano

svastano

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Joined 12-June 18
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2015 Focus

Posted 13 June 2018 - 05:28 AM

Group,

First post here but I have a 79 t-bird that was my sister's, actually still titled in her name and she was 1st owner. About 65,000 miles on it.  Some rust but otherwise in pretty good shape. I was thinking about just fixing it up for my teenage daughters  but didn't know if it was worth more than  a couple thousand dollars, if that?  Just wondering if it is worth preserving or just run it?  To me it seems like a good starter car for them, big, safe.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

fordmantpw's alter ego

• 29,369 posts
  • Joined 18-April 06
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2018 F150 Supercab XLT Magnetic Grey 3.5LEB

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:13 AM

Has it been running and driven regularly? If so it’s probably fine but I would replace all the hoses, belts, fuel lines and all fluids including oil, tranny fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid and coolant.

2018 F150 Supercab XLT Sport (Magnetic) - 3.5LEB
2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve (Luxe/Cappucino)

#3 OFFLINE   svastano

svastano

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Joined 12-June 18
  • Current Vehicle:2015 Focus

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:05 AM

It has been sitting since the early 2000's  I plan on puling the motor, replacing seals and gaskets in it and the tranny.  New rubber brake lines and probably replace calipers. Other than that it is in excellent shape.

#4 OFFLINE   Rich B.

Rich B.

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Joined 18-October 17
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Boss 302 and '16 Buick LaCrosse

Posted 13 July 2018 - 05:22 PM

https://en.m.wikiped...ord_Thunderbird. I don't think that or those eras would be desirable at all. Were everything a T-Bird shouldn't be, except maybe the last generation. A big car by then, probably expensive to run and maintain. No longer in sports mode, Corvettes were pretty lame through those times too.

But if it's free and with a minimum of money spent would be a great hand me down for daughter. It would be a big, heavy safe car anyways I would speculate also. Kids, seem to wreck cars pretty well unless they buy them on their own.

#5 OFFLINE   twintornados

twintornados

Ford fan for a long, long time.

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,901 posts
  • Joined 16-February 10
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Lincoln MKC Reserve

Posted 14 July 2018 - 07:33 AM

Not really a good selection for a teen drivers daily ride....sell it to someone that can properly care for a car of that vintage and buy her a more modern vehicle...ten year old Accord, Altima, Fusion, Malibu, or Camry would be a better choice....

Does anyone know where the love of god goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours....Gordon Lightfoot, "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. ~ Gerald Ford - August 12, 1974

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service | DMCA ·