Ford introduces next-generation, Police Interceptor Utility Hybrid - the industry's first pursuit-rated hybrid SUV

ordering guides out today for the PI Explorer...all are AWD....although you guys most likely already knew that...REALLY excited about the Hybrid drivetrain...I wonder if it will filter over to the Consumer model....

I can't see any scenario where it wouldn't - Ford has repeatedly talked about "electrification" across most model lines, and they're including hybrids in that term.

Presumably all Explorers will have standard AWD which would be awesome.

And Ford flat-out lied about the standard hybrid drivetrain. If you get the regular 3.3L, it subtracts $3,530.

The 3.0L is an extra $790 above the Hybrid.

The Hybrid is just the standard configuration for whatever that's worth on a fleet ordered car.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1

And Ford flat-out lied about the stand hybrid drivetrain. If you get the regular 3.3L, it subtracts $3,353.

Standard doesn't mean it costs less, it means that's the 'standard' configuration unless you order it differently.

jpd80....no HP releases yet, I would think it will be close to the current 3.5, but the 10 speed will more than compensate....

Yes, that's what I was thinking too Deanh, Lincoln 3.0TT is currently 400 hp/400 lb ft

but what if the 3.0 EB is just a progression of the 2.7 EB's power and torque

from 320 hp / 400 lb ft to let's say, 355 hp and 440 lb ft........

That would make for a nice torque increase over the current FWD/AWD 3.5 EB/s numbers,

and the 10-speed Auto takes all that torque and efficiency to another level.

And Ford flat-out lied about the standard hybrid drivetrain. If you get the regular 3.3L, it subtracts $3,530.

The Hybrid is just the standard configuration for whatever that's worth on a fleet ordered car.

So it's not standard, it's just standard. Got it.

Standard doesn't mean it costs less, it means that's the 'standard' configuration unless you order it differently.

:clapping:

Edited by akirby

Does the current PIU come with all the same color choice as Explorer? I've only seen them in black and white or all white.

The 2020 order guide lists 17 different colors... I'm guessing that's all the 2020 Explorer retail colors?

Medium Brown Metallic

Arizona Beige Metallic

Vermillion Red

Blue Metallic

Smokestone Metallic

Kodiak Brown Metallic

Dark Toreador Red Metallic

Iconic Silver Metallic (new)

Norsea Blue Metallic

Dark Blue

Royal Blue

Light Blue Metallic

Silver Grey Metallic

Sterling Greg Metallic

Agate Black (new)

Medium Titanium Metallic

Oxford White

Edited by bzcat

Ford made the current PIU standard with NA V6 and AWD while the 2.0 EB FWD is a delete option...

I'm wondering if the CD6 Explorer will come with these new PIU engine options (3.3 3.3 hybrid 3.0 EB)

and the 3.5 EB for the Sports..

Edited by jpd80

The 3.0L is an extra $790 above the Hybrid.

I doubt they'll make AWD standard on civilian models. I was surprised to see it standard on the PIU....kind of defeats the purpose of making a RWD platform to make AWD standard, doesn't it?

Ford made the current PIU standard with NA V6 and AWD while the 2.0 EB FWD is a delete option...

I'm wondering if the CD6 Explorer will come with these new PIU engine options (3.3 3.3 hybrid 3.0 EB)

and the 3.5 EB for the Sports..

I take the addition of the 3.0 EB to mean the 3.5EB is going away for Explorer. The 3.5 (at least in current Sport trim) is already outpowered by the 3.0 (doesn't include the Raptor's version).

I thought it already had that....

First series Nano was just DI, with PFDI the 3.0 TT would get a big jump in torque which is probably why it wasnt used in FWD/AAWD Lincolns, the gearbox being the limiting factor.

And, will 3.0 EB also mean the 2.7 goes away in the near future......

Edited by jpd80

ice-capades should be able to post it shortly.

I've added the 2020 Police Interceptor to the Explorer Order Guide Section and sent a note to Robert recommending that a new Police Interceptor/Responder Order Guide section be added where I'll be able to upload all the Police Order Guides for reference.

ordering guides out today for the PI Explorer...all are AWD....although you guys most likely already knew that...REALLY excited about the Hybrid drivetrain...I wonder if it will filter over to the Consumer model....

No reason not to expect the Hybrid powertrain on the consumer version of the 2020MY Explorer. Why spend the money on a new Hybrid powertrain for limited production (Police) units when the additional engineering and production expenses can be spread across the whole 2020MY Explorer model lineup? Besides, it fits with Ford's electrification strategy as previously announced.