Ford introduces next-generation, Police Interceptor Utility Hybrid - the industry's first pursuit-rated hybrid SUV

Normally, I would say you are correct. However, it's been plastered on every major auto site on the web and even the little ones too. Just go look at Car and Driver if you don't believe me. So anyone reading those, is getting there first glimpse or bits of info there and NOT through Ford itself.

Which means that 1% of the population of this country knows of the new PUI Explorer.

I found it interesting that the Detroit News, the Detroit Free Press, etc. made no mention of this new vehicle. Even Automotive News has nothing.

Someone complained the tail lights look the same. It's not the 50s or 60s, where buyers want goo goo, ga ga over annual style change.

Ask any new SUV driver if they care about that, and it's who cares? Now it's "does it have Apple Car Play, etc.?"

Maybe at a collector car auction, details like annual head/tail style identity will determine value, but not the new car market today.

People don't expect comprehensive changes every year. But people who are turning in a leased vehicle, or trading after 5-6 years of ownership, do expect their new vehicle to look different from their old one.

Edited by grbeck
  • Like 5

Looking back Ford atleast in the past 5 years had a toe-tag on Fusion and US Taurus because the type of vehicles was to be placed on CD6. We'll see a mainline Ford sedan but IMO think rwd/awd Subaru Outback Sedan or rwd/awd Regal Sportback as a one car Taurus/Fusion replacement.

Focus unfortunately will come from and remain in China unless a last-minute deal is done with trade talks or something.

Ford is trying to get the cops thinking about something other than the passenger offset crash test.

Key timing as agencies who have used primarily the Interceptor Sedans are in deep discussions as to what direction the fleets are going to go. Stay sedan and go Charger (which they will regret, hate mine) or jump to a utility with Ford (whom they are familiar with), Chevy (who will bankrupt the fleet budget) or Dodge (to keep the city mechanics occupied).

We have a former Dodge Exec Running our city garage and making our purchasing decisions with his expert input so weve been stuck with Chargers for many, many years.

With this news... our officer who is the designated fleet guy will be hearing my not so subtle whispers, suggestions, and pleas to get one of these to test.

Edited by zgxtreme
  • Like 1

Strange they're announcing it now before the new Explorer. I guess that's why the powertrain details are so vague.

Ram just announced a new Durango Police package. Probably wanted to get ahead of that announcement.

Edited by LSchicago

People who lease want a new car and don't care about the tail lights. Look at all the look alike vehicles in rich suburbia.

Actually, as a Leasee in "Rich Surburbia", regular updates are key to keeping people from switching to something else that's newer or different.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wonder how long the 3.5 will be around. Soon itll only be EB right?

It's already disappeared from the Edge. I don't think we'll see it in any new Transverse applications because of the water pump issues. RWD has already moved to 3.3L or EB.