Custom Search

2019 Lincoln Aviator Introduced Here !

Welcome to Blue Oval Forums

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Blue Oval Forums.  You must first register to create topics and post replies. Registration is a quick and easy process and only takes a minute.  Be apart of Blue Oval Forums by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images
  • Use the Shout feature and more. . .
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

18 Explorer rated Poor in front crash test

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   blwnsmoke

blwnsmoke

Blue Oval Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • Joined 01-May 07

Posted 12 June 2018 - 06:25 AM

I hate these stupid articles but when you read something like this...

https://www.cnbc.com...ahoo&yptr=yahoo

Somebody who is considering buying a brand new SUV, I would recommend that they choose something other than the Grand Cherokee or the Explorer," said Dave Zuby, senior vice president of vehicle research at Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. "There are clearly better choices out there especially if you are concerned about the safety of your family."

We know the new Explorer is coming but why the 18 and not the 16 or 17?

Edited by blwnsmoke, 12 June 2018 - 06:26 AM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   fuzzymoomoo

fuzzymoomoo

Blue Oval Enthusiast

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • Joined 18-February 14
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2008 Focus, 2018 Fusion

Posted 12 June 2018 - 06:57 AM

I hate these stupid articles but when you read something like this...

https://www.cnbc.com...ahoo&yptr=yahoo

We know the new Explorer is coming but why the 18 and not the 16 or 17?

Its the same thing that happened to the Escape. The standard changed and the car didnt change with it.
Officially a disgruntled Ford Employee

#3 OFFLINE   ANTAUS

ANTAUS

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,021 posts
  • Joined 22-November 99

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:10 AM

http://www.iihs.org/...ome-major-flaws

Watching the video is a real eye opener though....

#4 OFFLINE   rperez817

rperez817

Blue Oval Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Joined 03-October 16
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:'17 Jaguar XF 20d; '04 Ford Ranger

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:39 AM

There are lots of reasons other than IIHS passenger side small overlap crash results to avoid Ford Explorer. It's just old and outclassed. The 20 year Volvo bones are weak.

Native Texan sent to spread the message, "God Blessed Texas"  :) 

#5 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

fordmantpw's alter ego

• 29,369 posts
  • Joined 18-April 06
  • Current Vehicle:2018 F150 Supercab XLT Magnetic Grey 3.5LEB

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:09 AM

10 years ago it would have been rated safe and probably a top safety pick.   To say it's now unsafe is utterly ridiculous.  I understand it's a relative rating but the language being used is completely misleading.

Can't really blame Ford for not spending the big bucks to fix the current platform with a new one just around the corner.

Show me real world data that says more people are injured or killed in Explorers or JGCs than other vehicles and maybe I'll pay attention.  

• Len_A, pffan1990 and probowler like this

2018 F150 Supercab XLT Sport (Magnetic) - 3.5LEB
2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve (Luxe/Cappucino)

#6 OFFLINE   jasonj80

jasonj80

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,943 posts
  • Joined 12-December 04

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:22 AM

Show me real world data that says more people are injured or killed in Explorers or JGCs than other vehicles and maybe I'll pay attention.  

It's a one of but a coworker was in a bad accident (offset head on) with his CX-9. His injuries are almost exactly what the IIHS said they would be. He was hit by a teenage girl in a Highlander when she dropped her phone between the seats while she was texting and was looking for it.

Edited by jasonj80, 12 June 2018 - 02:10 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   30 OTT 6

30 OTT 6

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Joined 04-August 02
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • Current Vehicle:2006 Ford Focus ZX5

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:45 AM

Somebody who is considering buying a brand new SUV, I would recommend that they choose something other than the Grand Cherokee or the Explorer," said Dave Zuby, senior vice president of vehicle research at Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. "There are clearly better choices out there especially if you are concerned about the safety of your family profits of your insurance provider."

Fixed it.

• SoonerLS likes this

photo-thumb-15254.jpg

Gone too fast, Nick.

2001 Mustang GT Bullitt #1924 DHG
All Stock
13.89 @ 102.1 mph

2006 Ford Focus ZX5
Silver, 5 Sp MTX
'Charlie don't surf'

2017 Honda CB500XA

#8 OFFLINE   fuzzymoomoo

fuzzymoomoo

Blue Oval Enthusiast

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • Joined 18-February 14
  • Current Vehicle:2008 Focus, 2018 Fusion

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:48 AM

10 years ago it would have been rated safe and probably a top safety pick.   To say it's now unsafe is utterly ridiculous.  I understand it's a relative rating but the language being used is completely misleading. 

Like I said, the standard changed but the car didnt. The same thing happened with the Escape earlier this year. We all came to the same conclusion, new one on the way next year, not much reason to spend the money and change it.
Officially a disgruntled Ford Employee

#9 ONLINE   Sevensecondsuv

Sevensecondsuv

Blue Oval Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,349 posts
  • Joined 14-June 07

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:28 AM

Can't really blame Ford for not spending the big bucks to fix the current platform with a new one just around the corner.

I seen to remember all of us having an argument a while back about the panthers (one of many haha). The usual contingency thought it was a very safe car because it's big and heavy, is cheap to insure, and most people seem to know someone who's walked away from a crash in a panther unscathed. The other contingency was convinced it was a death trap and got cancelled because it couldn't meet the 2012 safety regs.

Your post above makes it sound like you're switching sides in that argument?

#10 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

fordmantpw's alter ego

• 29,369 posts
  • Joined 18-April 06

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:41 AM

I don't think we said it couldn't be made to meet 2012 safety regs.   We said it wasn't worth the cost and effort to do it.

#11 OFFLINE   grbeck

grbeck

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,356 posts
  • Joined 14-July 00

Posted 12 June 2018 - 10:39 AM

New vehicles are extremely safe by historical standards. This hardly makes the current Explorer a death trap. (If you want to a real eye-opener, google "1950s car accidents." Warning - it's not for the faint of heart.) 

Based on media reports of accidents around here, most fatalities occur because the occupants didn't bother buckling their safety belt. Lately, it seems as though every local fatality has been the result of an occupant being ejected from the vehicle during a rollover crash. 

Edited by grbeck, 12 June 2018 - 10:40 AM.

#12 OFFLINE   Assimilator

Assimilator

Blue Oval Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Joined 05-March 18
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Lincoln MKX, 2018 F-150 SuperCrew, 2018 Ford Escape Titanium

Posted 12 June 2018 - 11:16 AM

Ford and FCA have long struggled in these tests and part of that is the extreme age of their technologies and platforms, and part of that is just prioritization.  Ford and FCA just keep their platforms around for WAY too long and keep updating the tangibles instead of the foundations.  Hopefully this will change in a few years but even their newest products have been underperforming in these tests so I'm not sure Ford has been able to crack this code yet, but they have to be getting closer.  Ford is definitely a company that benefits from closer scrutiny because they like to cut corners, especially on safety engineering.  The 2015 F-150 actually had optional structural safety members that weren't disclosed to the consumers which the IIHS revealed and it made a massive difference in the test and it motivated Ford to make them standard.  I don't mind if Ford is not interested in meeting the IIHS tests, I just want to know about them since it's something I do care about.  It's one of the reasons I only buy Lincolns since they tend to be the only Ford products that score well but I suspect Ford will always be something of a struggler when it comes to IIHS testing since they take a very reactionary position instead of a proactive one.  I think their priority has always been NHTSA and what their customers care about, which may not be safety score related.  

Edited by Assimilator, 12 June 2018 - 11:32 AM.

• rperez817 likes this

#13 OFFLINE   grbeck

grbeck

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,356 posts
  • Joined 14-July 00

Posted 12 June 2018 - 11:42 AM

How long did Toyota keep the platform under the previous-generation Camry? How long has the Corolla platform been around? 

• ANTAUS likes this

#14 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

fordmantpw's alter ego

• 29,369 posts
  • Joined 18-April 06

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:13 PM

New vehicles are extremely safe by historical standards. This hardly makes the current Explorer a death trap. (If you want to a real eye-opener, google "1950s car accidents." Warning - it's not for the faint of heart.) 

Based on media reports of accidents around here, most fatalities occur because the occupants didn't bother buckling their safety belt. Lately, it seems as though every local fatality has been the result of an occupant being ejected from the vehicle during a rollover crash. 

Or you're going so fast that you're not going to survive period.

Change the speed or the angle slightly and you'll get a different result.

#15 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

fordmantpw's alter ego

• 29,369 posts
  • Joined 18-April 06

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:17 PM

How long did Toyota keep the platform under the previous-generation Camry? How long has the Corolla platform been around? 

Camry used the same K platform from 2001 - 2017, supposedly with 3 different versions but I doubt there was much difference.

#16 OFFLINE   grbeck

grbeck

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,356 posts
  • Joined 14-July 00

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:19 PM

Or you're going so fast that you're not going to survive period.

Change the speed or the angle slightly and you'll get a different result.

It also seems as though high-speed accidents around here are coupled with driving under the influence. 

#17 OFFLINE   bzcat

bzcat

Blue Oval Enthusiast

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts
  • Joined 13-October 09

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:26 PM

Like I said, the standard changed but the car didnt. The same thing happened with the Escape earlier this year. We all came to the same conclusion, new one on the way next year, not much reason to spend the money and change it.

Ford knew the standards for passenger side small offset was coming and had plenty of time to fix the Escape. The cost is rather minimal as well because they did it on the driver side. They just choose not to do the passenger side thinking IIHS will not re-test the Escape one year after it failed the driver side small offset test.

Not adding the reinforcement on the passenger side doesn't automatically make the car "unsafe" but it's unnecessary bad PR and Ford got no credit for fixing the driver side after previously failing and incurring the bad PR. If you are going to fix it, fix both sides, don't play stupid games.

#18 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

fordmantpw's alter ego

• 29,369 posts
  • Joined 18-April 06

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:37 PM

It's so irritating to hear reporters talk about a rollover accident where multiple folks were killed and they cite "speed as a factor" but neglect to mention that nobody was wearing seatbelts and were only killed because they were ejected.

Speed, on dry streets, is almost never a factor unless you're trying to go around a corner at 100 mph.   If you run off the road going around a corner even remotely close to the speed limit then you just lost control or weren't paying attention.

• grbeck and pffan1990 like this

#19 ONLINE   Sevensecondsuv

Sevensecondsuv

Blue Oval Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,349 posts
  • Joined 14-June 07

Posted 12 June 2018 - 01:12 PM

I know a guy who managed to roll his Honda S2000. He was attempting to take a posted 50 mph curve on a public road at about 85 when he found some loose gravel on the asphalt. Fortunately he walked away from it, but we rag him to this day about the incredible skill it takes to roll a car that is all of 26 inches tall!

Edited by Sevensecondsuv, 12 June 2018 - 01:13 PM.

#20 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

fordmantpw's alter ego

• 29,369 posts
  • Joined 18-April 06

Posted 12 June 2018 - 01:30 PM

I know a guy who managed to roll his Honda S2000. He was attempting to take a posted 50 mph curve on a public road at about 85 when he found some loose gravel on the asphalt. Fortunately he walked away from it, but we rag him to this day about the incredible skill it takes to roll a car that is all of 26 inches tall!

And how many folks would say that "speed" was a factor in that accident when clearly it was road debris?

If it was posted at 50 he probably could have taken it at 100 without the gravel.

• jasonj80 likes this

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service | DMCA ·