2020 Ford Explorer Spied

That unit in the picture Assimilator is a component evaluation unit. Neither current unit or 2020.

All I will say is the picture Harley lover posted is, it is not a Ford. The roof line gives it away, that evaluation unit was at the plant in January.

TDM outfits all police interceptor for CAP. This is a separate facility from our MOD Center. TDM has done Fusion proto build police units in the past as a trail for the reduction of the 258 from the police market. One thing for sure if the coppers think the 258 is to small wait till they try out the police issue Fusion.

Edited by Decker

Just some drivetrain details.

The 3.3L V6 in Police and Base Trim and the same engine gets DI and the HEV 10-Speed transmission for the Police and Limited Trim.

The 3.0 Nano EcoBoost available for Police, ST, Platinum

The 3.0 Nano EcoBoost PHEV is in the Limited, ST, and Platinum overseas, no US availability indicated...hmmmm....watch this space.

The 2.3 EcoBoost in Base, XLT, and Limited

Apparently AWD is not standard.

It's actually hard to find much in the way of PHEVs scheduled for the US outside of the Escape and Lincoln, but plenty of HEVs are on the way.

Edited by Assimilator

The 3.0 Nano EcoBoost PHEV is in the Limited, ST, and Platinum overseas, no US availability indicated...hmmmm....watch this space.

Makes sense as Ford old thinking will be we have the Aviator here with that powertrain. It would be nice however to offer it here, yes there are a few customers that would just get the Explorer. But there are may other business owners that need to drive a Ford vs a Lincoln (members of my extended Family for instance) They'll just get a ST or Platinum even though they would spend more to get the PHEV. China/Middle east doesn't have the same image of Lincoln just being a Ford so they can offer both there.

The 3.3L V6 in Police and Base Trim and the same engine gets DI and the HEV 10-Speed transmission for the Police and Limited Trim.

The 3.0 Nano EcoBoost available for Police, ST, Platinum

The 2.3 EcoBoost in Base, XLT, and Limited

Apparently AWD is not standard.

It's actually hard to find much in the way of PHEVs scheduled for the US outside of the Escape and Lincoln, but plenty of HEVs are on the way.

I find it hard to believe they'd not have a plug in for Explorer.

No doubt they will, but will it be available with the 3.0L EcoBoost?

Wasn't there a 3.3 version of the hybrid somewhere? Or am I just mixing up the numbers?

No doubt they will, but will it be available with the 3.0L EcoBoost?

This is one of the things that doesn't make sense to duplicate your effort...why build a 2.7L Ecoboost PHEV when you already have the 3L outfitted to do that? I know they do it keep Ford separate from Lincoln, but it seems like its overkill for a "premium engine" in both lineups

I find it hard to believe they'd not have a plug in for Explorer.

Wasn't there a 3.3 version of the hybrid somewhere? Or am I just mixing up the numbers?

That was in the police version, I think.

This is one of the things that doesn't make sense to duplicate your effort...why build a 2.7L Ecoboost PHEV when you already have the 3L outfitted to do that? I know they do it keep Ford separate from Lincoln, but it seems like its overkill for a "premium engine" in both lineups

I don't mean a 2.7L EB would show up, I mean the 3.3L would for sure. I agree with you, and I think if we see a PHEV EcoBoost version in the Explorer (which I think we will a couple years after the initial Explorer production), it will be the same as in the Lincoln. Likely just detuned by 25 HP or something...

Yes, the 3.3L V6 HEV (Hybrid Electric Vehicle) is available to the Police and available only in the Limited Trim for retail customers. The 3.3L HEV is also modified for Direct Injection. There is no plug for this engine.

I will keep you posted if I figure out what is going on with the 3.0 Nano PHEV in the US Explorer and if indeed it's absent. I know it's a very expensive upgrade so I can certainly see it going to Aviator only in the US.

Edited by Assimilator

The 3.0 is a very expensive upgrade indeed. Thats why the plan for it initially was for it to be a Lincoln only engine. I have no idea when or why that was changed.

Maybe because Ford thinks they can sell 60-65K Explorers along with the 80K Aviators to off set the price?

Maybe because Ford thinks they can sell 60-65K Explorers along with the 80K Aviators to off set the price?

That has to be the idea. I dont think the take rate in the Continental and MKZ is anywhere near what they were hoping it would be, which is probably why they are hesitant to put that engine in the Nautilus.

There is no such thing as a Lincoln exclusive technology. There might be a period of exclusivity but Ford does all of the funding and development, Lincoln is basically a traditional coach-builder and repackages Ford technology and upscales it in tangible ways. Ford would like Lincoln to start funding and developing technologies for Ford but that's not happening yet and I think that's a long way off.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1