Next Gen Mustang has a 2022 Production date....

• 2 months later...

Latest news has S650/7th Gen being introduced in 2021, presumably as a '22MY

http://www.autonews.com/article/20180827/OEM04/180829810/mustang-sedan-ford?ite=88923&ito=1397&itq=baa8c86a-2967-47cb-8cea-4fad14ec875b&itx%5Bidio%5D=&itx[idio]=

Despite the Mustang's importance to the company, CEO Jim Hackett reportedly pushed back the seventh-generation program by about a year.

A redesigned Mustang now is expected in 2021. The car rides on an exclusive rear-wheel-drive platform but could move to one of the company's five new modular architectures, presumably the rwd/all-wheel-drive unibody underpinnings it would share with utilities such as the Explorer and Lincoln Aviator.

Members of the Mustang team were mum on details about the next-generation car but said the move to a modular architecture won't hurt their design creativity.

"Mustang is still going to be a strong, well proportioned vehicle," the Mustang's chief designer, Darrell Behmer, said. "The modular architectures will still give us flexibility; it's not going to bastardize Mustang."

‘A tremendous trick'

Widmann said the move won't fundamentally change the car.

"The general layout of rwd has morphed over time, but it's still the general architecture that it has been," he said. "In the architecture world of a rwd — which you're going to end up with a rwd architecture — I think these pieces of it are pieces that will always work. As you tune it and put a top hat on it, you can get different combinations and can define a lot of the emotion."

This reminds me a lot of the Ford Australia Falcon platform where they developed the Territory SUV

they shared a lot of common or similar parts but but through flexible design, completely different proportions.

I think that the key here, if you don't change as many parts, the new vehicle is just a derivative

but to be a true new vehicle type, more than 50% of the parts have to be significantly different

color me confused.....I was convinced the Model E chassis was a ground up chassis , solely for hybrids, pure electric...and someone mentioned its CDs...?I thought they were two different underpinnings...

They are two different things. Model E is the architecture name like C2 or CD6.

Ford said it will consolidate on 5 different architectures:

1. Transverse engine: C2

2. Longitude engine: CD6

3. Unibody commercial: Transit

4. Body on frame commercial: Ranger/F-150

5. Dedicated EV: Model E

All 5 will be capable of EV application but only #5 will be designed without the need (and thus unnecessary weight) to accommodate vestigial internal combustion engines.

The first Model E (I started calling it "E1" a while ago but it hasn't caught on yet) vehicle will be MACH 1.

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

If you use Chrome as a web browser, you can read a good many articles in Automotive News by using the "incognito window" option (file>new incognito window). Your browsing history, etc., isn't saved so you're not stopped from viewing articles after a few looks.

I have discovered this for use on other websites! I have also run across one (Local Paper) that detects it and wont let you read any articles. Will see how long before this becomes the norm... :drop:

Safari has a “Private” mode as does Firefox that does the same thing.

Incognito, private mode, etc, are becoming more and more common. But even these "stealth" modes will require you clear your cookies every so often. But, by alternating between several stealth web browsers, I find that I can read most Automotive News articles that interest me without being kicked out.