Will the Chrysler Brand get Dropped this Friday?

Anthony

"Will the Chrysler Brand get Dropped this Friday?"

No....

I agree.

How can you cancel a brand name when the name is part of the oorporate name?

Sounds to me as though Fiat and Alfa will be taken out of the U.S. market. Article mentions

combining Alfa/Maserati and putting the new Viper on a shared platform.

If Marchionne is consistent, he will announce a new brand called Viper to fill the void left by Alfa.

I agree.

How can you cancel a brand name when the name is part of the oorporate name?

Sounds to me as though Fiat and Alfa will be taken out of the U.S. market. Article mentions

combining Alfa/Maserati and putting the new Viper on a shared platform.

If Marchionne is consistent, he will announce a new brand called Viper to fill the void left by Alfa.

They'll have to change the name to Jeep/Alfa/Maserati and come up with the cool JAM-A.

It is funny that FCA's name comes from the two weakest brands.

• Like 1

Chrysler is shuttered. Making way for the new JEEP Eagle! You heard it here first!

280px-1987_AMC_Eagle_wagon_burgundy-wood

Actually, it would probably be better at this point to revive AMC as a lineup of crossovers to tie up with Jeep's good karma than to try to make something of Chrysler at this point. I would also brand the Ram pickup as a Jeep model, the Jeep Ram. Jeep seems to be a gold that can improve anything with which it is associated.

Instead of Jeep killing off its owners-its the reason why its owners are now killing off their other brands :)

Jeep is still killing off it's owners...except now they are doing it from a vantage point of sales success.

Maybe they should rename FCA to Jeep Global Industries...

Edited by twintornados

I don't see 300/charger/Challenger going anywhere. It'd be akin to Ford killing the mustang. On top of that, they actually move plenty of them between the three models and it's not like they're cheap cars like a Focus.

So the only thing keeping the Chrysler brand around is Pacifica and 300. They could obviously just consolidate those into Dodge. Another option would be to fold those two models into Fiat. If you ask me, Chrysler still has way more name recognizition and historical presence on this side of the pond, but we all know how irrational Sergio gets when it comes to Fiat.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

I don't see 300/charger/Challenger going anywhere. It'd be akin to Ford killing the mustang. On top of that, they actually move plenty of them between the three models and it's not like they're cheap cars like a Focus.

So the only thing keeping the Chrysler brand around is Pacifica and 300. They could obviously just consolidate those into Dodge. Another option would be to fold those two models into Fiat. If you ask me, Chrysler still has way more name recognizition and historical presence on this side of the pond, but we all know how irrational Sergio gets when it comes to Fiat.

Is that Sergio being irrational or is it the Agnelli family pulling the strings?

Lot of off-the-wall ideals that guarantees FCA demise.

FWIW, supposedly Chrysler brand with the Pacifica gets 3 new CUVs (small,midsize,large) along with a full-frame Ram based SUV (Aspen?), the 300 bring the sole car is in-the-air but may still be produced at another factory on the new platform shared with AR in the US, the decision is revealed on Friday.

Dodge too isn't going anywhere. The only surprise tomorrow is Caravan as a more sporty Pacifica based minivan may still live thanks to low-end US buyers and higher-end Canadian sales.

FWIW, supposedly Chrysler brand with the Pacifica gets 3 new CUVs (small,midsize,large) along with a full-frame Ram based SUV (Aspen?), the 300 bring the sole car is in-the-air but may still be produced at another factory on the new platform shared with AR in the US, the decision is revealed on Friday.

Dodge too isn't going anywhere. The only surprise tomorrow is Caravan as a more sporty Pacifica based minivan may still live thanks to low-end US buyers and higher-end Canadian sales.

Chrysler was supposed to get all that product this year...and so far nothing.

Chrysler was supposed to get all that product this year...and so far nothing.

For the most part neither Dodge, Jeep, Fiat or AR got the vehicles they were supposed to get by now. Chrysler will mostly be NAFTA nations only with probably Australia/NZ and IMO U.K.. My hope is if Chrysler continues on 300 based sedans while the SUV/minivan bring in the profits. We'll see in June.

That was the last 5 year plan from 2014. Chrysler was supposed to get the Journey replacement in tow different sizes (5 seat and 7 seat) plus a version of Compass. But the plan made no sense because FCA can earn more profit just selling more Jeep and not do the Chrysler (or Dodge) versions. Plus there was going to be a Chrysler 100 based on Dart to go with 200 and 300.

The Journey replacement became Jeep Commander and Grand Commander. And the Compass size Chrysler CUV got shelved with 100.

We will find out tomorrow for sure but I believe 300 and Charger are goners too like 200 and Dart in favor of more Jeep production in North America.

Edited by bzcat

That was the last 5 year plan from 2014. Chrysler was supposed to get the Journey replacement in tow different sizes (5 seat and 7 seat) plus a version of Compass. But the plan made no sense because FCA can earn more profit just selling more....

We will find out tomorrow for sure but I believe 300 and Charger are goners too like 200 and Dart in favor of more Jeep production in North America.

Not everyone wants Jeep's junk and FCA knows it, Journey replacement ends up at Chrysler as a midsize/rwd CUV takes its place at Dodge the 300 is the only car that have the questionable future. As said we'll see tomorrow.

That's interesting. In the scheme of things, there's probably no good reason to keep Chrysler as a brand.

If this happened, I'd like to see 300 stay around and be called Monaco. The name has upscale connotations, and so does the more formal design of the 300.

That's interesting. In the scheme of things, there's probably no good reason to keep Chrysler as a brand.

If this happened, I'd like to see 300 stay around and be called Monaco. The name has upscale connotations, and so does the more formal design of the 300.

Call it the New Yorker. At least old people would buy it.
  • Like 1

Marchionne never drops brands. He likes to split brands to create and differentiate branding. Based on the article below it is my guess he is leaving brand elimination to the next CEO. If FCA is merged with or acquired by another automaker, brands could be axed. Should FCA remain independent then the burden of brand reduction is on the next guy. Chrysler, Fiat, Dodge missing from schedule for FCA's 5-year briefing

Mustang has a rich history dating back over 50 years. Same with Camaro although a little less.

300/Charger/Challenger mean nothing to most and would not be missed by many people. They discontinued them all before and few noticed so why would this be different?

Chrysler corp has always been an albatross that nobody wanted. Ram and Jeep, maybe but I doubt many would miss them too. Or someone would scoop them up and introduce something they never had, quality.

Edited by itguy09

They had a Dodge Monaco.

The guys at Allpar now say the next generation Durango will move to the new Ram 1500 platform (along with the Jeep Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer), while the Grand Cherokee will have its own platform.

In that case it would be competing with Expedition rather than explorer I guess. Probably a smart move but why did it take this long? Will JGC get a 3rd row option?

I still don't understand why they don't just rebrand RAM and Chrysler products as Dodge and be done with it. Doesn't matter what's in the corporate name - General Motors doesn't have any brands named General or Motors.

And I don't think there are any stand alone RAM or Chrysler dealers so it's just a name change.

In that case it would be competing with Expedition rather than explorer I guess. Probably a smart move but why did it take this long? Will JGC get a 3rd row option?

Why would it with Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer reboot on the way? Edited by fuzzymoomoo