Turbo 4cyl Silverado

MY93SHO

I see this engine as a response to the tightening regulations on carbon dioxide emissions. I recently read an article in an SAE publication about current (MY 2018) powertrains and how only about 6% of light duty trucks are able to comply with the 2021 regulations today. The 2021 model year is only 2 years away.

• Like 1

The thing is people that buy low end trucks have a keen eye for "reliable". At that level mpg is not king, especially with trucks, explicit reliability is king. People that buy low end trucks want a bullet proof engine, the 3.7, 3.5 and now 3.3 are all from the same line and have a following. For the standard cab trucks they are no slouch. I am one that often says "GM does not have a marketing department" and it's crap like this that makes me say it. GM didn't need that V8 like 4.3L V6 they needed an engine like the Ford or FCA 3.x V6's, nothing to brag about. However the penta star and the now the 3.3L get the job done, get good mpg's doing it and are reliable engines. That GM doesn't get why people buy low end trucks just like they didn't anticipate pointing out Ford F150's are made of Aluminum would actually steer people to Ford trucks; because while no one is stupid enough to drop 40 pound paving stones from six foot into their trucks; we are all aware steel bodies rust, and aluminum don't.

Honestly that company is running itself back into the ground thinking they are knocking it out of the park the entire way.

What are you taking about? How do you know how this engine will perform? Have you driven it or heard a review? And if you think GM is running itself into the ground as they outposition, outearn Ford you are just blind.

Im not a GM fan but their senior leadership is kicking ass and for the most part are making all The right moves.

Are they perfect and have the best products? Hardly but they are way better positioned than Ford is today. By a mile. Come on. Quit drinking the kool aid.

Edited by kyle
  • Like 1

Yes, that's why they are number #1 in truck sales.....oh, wait....

No need to wait sir. GM has been #1 in pickup truck sales for a while. Last year, they sold about 34% of all new pickups in the U.S. That's the most of any automaker. The other truck makers are as follows. Ford 32%, FCA 18%, Toyota 11%, Nissan 5%, Honda 1%.

New 2019 Silverado and Sierra should help continue GM's sales leadership in the U.S. pickup truck market.

No need to wait sir. GM has been #1 in pickup truck sales for a while. Last year, they sold about 34% of all new pickups in the U.S. That's the most of any automaker. The other truck makers are as follows. Ford 32%, FCA 18%, Toyota 11%, Nissan 5%, Honda 1%.

New 2019 Silverado and Sierra should help continue GM's sales leadership in the U.S. pickup truck market.

And Ford does it with 1/3 the number of truck lines that GM does, while only being in 2 of the 3 class that GM is. Try again.

• Like 2

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.......

And I got a bigger.....oh ya forgot I was in junior high with some of these guys here.

My post was spot on and never mentioned who was outselling who. It was responding to an earlier post about someone thinkg GM is running into the ground while ignoring industry facts and some opinions that are pretty non biased. Im hardly a GM fan but recognize what the hell is going on today.

Jeez guys come on. Give credit where credit is do. You sound like some crazy Lions fan talking about the Barry Sanders era.

• Like 1

If I could inject a non partisan thought here, the genesis of Ford and GM's engine strategies are quite different.

F150 engine evolution:

5.4 V8, 4,6 V8 & 4,2 V6 ==> 6.2 v8, 5.0 V8, 3.5 EB V6 a& 3.5 V6 ==> 3.0V8, 3.5 EB, 2.7 EB & 3.3 V6

GM Silverado/Sierra engine evolution -some intermediate steps removed

6.2 V8, 5.3 V8, 4.8 V8 & 4.3 V6 ==> 6.2 DI V8, 5.3 DI V8, & 4.3 DI V6 ==> 6.2 DI V8, 5.3 DI V8, 4.3 DI V6 & 2.7 I-4T

For many years, the 5.3 V8 was the bulk of sales with 4.3 V6 making up around 25 to 30% of the total.

so now, the 2.7 I-4T is offered primarily grow sales at the lower end or is that to reduce 4.3 sales?

In contrast to the above, Ford introduced the 3.5 EB which was a big success and drew a lot of 6.2 sales

but also some of the 5.0's sales as well. The 2,7 EB was introduced and resulted in a three way sales split

between the 5.0V8, 3,5 EB and 2.7 EB with the 3.5/3.3 V6 counting about 10% of sales all the way through.

All of this tells me that the two 2.7 turbos have completely different roles in their respective line ups

and as such have very different sales expectations. Interesting to compare them but they do have

decidedly different functions.

Good post and you are spot on. Will be interesting to see but the thing I like about GM is that they are offering their new engine in several models. Not sure if they will require you to get an upgraded engine like Ford does when you get floor mats or a power sliding rear window or not? I hate the required package options when you may not want one bit get forced to take it cause you want leather seats, etc. But that is a whole other discussion!

And I got a bigger.....oh ya forgot I was in junior high with some of these guys here.

My post was spot on and never mentioned who was outselling who. It was responding to an earlier post about someone thinkg GM is running into the ground while ignoring industry facts and some opinions that are pretty non biased. Im hardly a GM fan but recognize what the hell is going on today.

Jeez guys come on. Give credit where credit is do. You sound like some crazy Lions fan talking about the Barry Sanders era.

I acknowledge that the '19 GM twins have finally caught up to the '15 F150.

• Like 2

GM's 4.3 V6 has always been an accountant's special... basically take the small block V8 and chop 2 cylinders off to make a base V6. GM has spent very little money on it and the only update it got is when GM made a change to the small block V8.

The new 2.7 I4 is the first honest effort GM has put in to develop a new base engine for Silverado in a long time. And yes, JDP is correct that it has really nothing to do with Ford's 2.7 other than both having the same displacement.

Ford's 2.7 V6 is an alternative to the 5.0 V8. GM has yet to develop a similar alternative to its 5.3 V8.

Here is how Ford and Chevy will compare in 2019:

Trim / Ford - Base Engine / Chevy - Base Engine

Work Truck / XL 3.3 V6 / WT 4.3 V6

Work Turck+ / STX 3.3 V6 / Custom 4.3 V6 [note: Custom is replacing LS in Chevy next year]

Mid Trim (Volume sales model) / XLT 3.3 V6 / LT 2.7 I4 turbo

High Trim / Lariat 2.7 V6 turbo / LTZ 5.3 V8

Luxury Trim / King Ranch or Platinum 5.0 V8 / High Country 5.3 V8

Superduper Trim / Limited 3.5 V6 turbo / N/A

2.7 V6 turbo OR 5.0 V8 are optional on Ford XL, STX, XLT, Lariat

5.3 V8 is optional on Chevy WT, Custom, and LT

3.5 V6 turbo is optional on Ford XL, XLT, Lariat, King Ranch, and Platinum

6.2 V8 is optional on Chevy LTZ, and High Country

3.0 V6 diesel is optional on Ford XL (fleet), XLT (fleet), Lariat, King Ranch, and Platinum

3.0 I6 diesel is optional on Chevy LT, LTZ, and High Country

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

Thing to remember is that Ford sells very little of the 3.3 V6s (10%) where as

the three main engines, 5.0 V8, 3.5 EB and 2.7 EB are around 30% a piece.

Similarly, GM 1500s, the main engines are the V8s - 5.3 V8 / 6.2 V8 (~75%)

and the 4.3 V6 at around 25% tops. so as a base engine on two retail trims,

the new 2.7 I-4T will really be insignificant on the score card - 10% at best.

Two completely different truck composites - mostly V8 buyers vs mostly V6 buyers.

Edited by jpd80