2018 Reserve L - DRL Out, Trunk Opens on its own, 1 week old

I saw the master thread but thought this is substantial enough that deserves its own thread tracking in case someone else has this problem.

Took delivery (L, Reserve, towing, Revel Audio, white plat ext, dark slate int) 4/18/18, having placed the order on 1/30/18. Came in wrong due to dealer error (ordered bench seat, console came in), didn't want to wait another 12 weeks so I accepted it.

As of 4/23 the passenger DRL is out and the trunk opens intermittently when the passenger rear door is opened, the Embrace functionality only works 1/5 times. Beautiful vehicle, hoping this is just a fluke but have never had these sorts of initial quality issues out of a car. Going to dealer today to sort it out.

Good luck getting it resolved, I hope its something simple like a body control module or something like that

Unfortunately this is the chance you take buying a brand new model so close to launch. Weird things can happen. Sounds like your dealer actually gives a crap and that helps.

Not uncommon on a brand new vehicle like that in the first few months of production. It will probably be an easy fix and you'll forget all about it.

There is a good lesson here - always get a copy of the Dealer Order Receipt Acknowledgement (DORA) and verify the options.

• Like 1

I saw the master thread but thought this is substantial enough that deserves its own thread tracking in case someone else has this problem.

Took delivery (L, Reserve, towing, Revel Audio, white plat ext, dark slate int) 4/18/18, having placed the order on 1/30/18. Came in wrong due to dealer error (ordered bench seat, console came in), didn't want to wait another 12 weeks so I accepted it.

As of 4/23 the passenger DRL is out and the trunk opens intermittently when the passenger rear door is opened, the Embrace functionality only works 1/5 times. Beautiful vehicle, hoping this is just a fluke but have never had these sorts of initial quality issues out of a car. Going to dealer today to sort it out.

Whats a DRL? As for the embrace, mine isnt 100% at home but works every time when Im out and about. At home it will work a couple times but after its been triggered a few times it stops.

Day 8 of car being at dealership, dealer calls and says everything is resolved with the DRL, and a TSB for the rear hatch glass was done, but couldn't re-produce the rear gate opening when the passenger door was actuated.

Wife goes to pick up car is putting son into car opens driver side passenger door, hatch opens. Now its repeatable every 2-3 actuation of door, and tailgate opens. Disabled the kick sensor and it still does it. Techs have no clue other than it will take a long time to figure out. Car has been at dealership for 8 days of the 14 days I've owned it. I'm completely disappointed, disgusted, and frustrated.

Edited by chuckinbeast

I got a 17 gator loaner when I had some weird brake fault show up on the lincoln way app, that ended up being me not releasing the parking brake and waiting to shift to gear. Anyway, one day with the 17 made me glad I waited for the 18s and my wife even more so. Theyll get yours sorted out Im sure. Please keep us posted.

I understand your frustration. Im a long time Ford guy and have had very good luck with all of my trucks and SUVs I have bought over the years. I bought a 17 Raptor after owning a bullet proof 11 and 13. Right off the bat I had transmission issues that required a major repair. It sucked, and I contemplated waiting for a 2018 to be sure they had the production issues worked out, but I didnt and that was the result.

Ford got it taken care of but sadly if you want to buy a new model when it first comes out there is a risk associated with it. I was pissed about it but they did take care of it and the truck is pretty awesome.

Hopefully they will do the same for you and you can put it behind you and enjoy it. Do keep us posted on this matter though.

I got a 17 gator loaner when I had some weird brake fault show up on the lincoln way app, that ended up being me not releasing the parking brake and waiting to shift to gear. Anyway, one day with the 17 made me glad I waited for the 18s and my wife even more so. Theyll get yours sorted out Im sure. Please keep us posted.

I've got a '17 Navigator loaner now ... the tech is older than the 2015 F-150 we traded on the '18 ... sure miss the 360 camera and adaptable cruise control!

Since I found out the park will be released automatically I've let it do that several times without any errors on dash or Lincoln Way App.

Edited by LHB

You’re probably triggering the foot sensor while you’re hooking up the trailer with the fob in your pocket. Take out

you probably nailed it! the foot sensor must be more sensitive than my Denali :)

Edited by turbo2424

Yeah I trigger the foot sensor hooking up the trailer too. On one hand I can see finding that frustrating or annoying, but I get such a laugh out of suddenly needing to dodge a hatch or get smacked in the head that it doesn't bother me. Glutton for punishment I guess?

To the OP, I hope it gets sorted out quickly for you.

Once time a few days after delivery (2 weeks ago) my liftgate was spontaneously closing on me while I was loading the back. My foot could have been triggering the sensor, but I thought the sensor only made the liftgate go up. The pressure resist reversed it once it touched my head, then it happened again, then it hasn't happened since.

My 2nd row right window is also non-operating on delivery... but I'm not worried. I'll have it fixed when I take it in for first service.

Foot sensor works for opening and closing.

Thanks, that explains it.

I would turn off just foot-to-close if I could. I'm not sure how one would ever make use of that, since you have to stand under the liftgate to get your foot under the back. Some kind of ninja move, where you pick up a heavy bag with both arms, swipe your foot, and quickly get out of the way before the liftgate hits you in the head? :P

Edited by Dave_SF

Thanks, that explains it.

I would turn off just foot-to-close if I could. I'm not sure how one would ever make use of that, since you have to stand under the liftgate to get your foot under the back. Some kind of ninja move, where you pick up a heavy bag with both arms, swipe your foot, and quickly get out of the way before the liftgate hits you in the head? :P

I've done it on our MKX. There is plenty of time to kick and move out of the way.

That said I don't remember activating the sensor while simply unloading things from the rear. Just putting your foot under the bumper doesn't activate it on the MKX.