Self-driving cars hitting red lights

jpd80

Self-driving cars hitting red lights

April 22, 2018 @ 12:01 am Shiraz Ahmed

http://www.autonews.com/article/20180422/OEM11/180429985/self-driving-cars-federal-state-officials

Federal and state officials, once eager advocates of self-driving cars, now are pumping the brakes and demanding greater accountability and information that autos and tech companies may not be willing to provide.

Until now, governments have been willing to let private industry lead the way in development of autonomous technology, with light-touch and voluntary guidance from NHTSA and states such as California, Arizona and Michigan. After two high-profile fatalities related to self-driving cars, issues such as system malfunction, the limits of human attention span, and broader legal questions have come to the forefront of public conversation.

And lawmakers suddenly are realizing how little they know about the technology.

"It was not an issue that I knew a whole a lot about, and I was just bombarded by all sides," said Indiana Republican state Sen. Michael Crider, who oversaw the state's attempt to introduce autonomous regulation, which failed one month ago. "I'm sick of the whole topic."

Now they start asking questions....

• Like 1

The thing is, I enjoy driving a car. If I could not drive my car I wouldn't even want to buy or own one.

I don't think this has to do with anything other than taking away more of our freedoms.

There are a lot of folks who don’t enjoy driving at all, especially in heavy traffic. Then there are the folks who stand to make a lot of money on it. And finally the safety Nazis who think this is the answer to eliminating traffic accidents and injuries.

In the end I think this will only work in commercial/fleet applications (delivery trucks, Uber, mass transit, etc.) and it will just be a driver assist feature on passenger vehicles.

In the end I think this will only work in commercial/fleet applications (delivery trucks, Uber, mass transit, etc.) and it will just be a driver assist feature on passenger vehicles.

I think you are right about that.

I express my angst about autonomous cars and then I'll probably live be 95 years old and wish I had one because I'm an inept driver.

However for now, I want to be an autonomous human.

The thing is, I enjoy driving a car. If I could not drive my car I wouldn't even want to buy or own one.

I don't think this has to do with anything other than taking away more of our freedoms.

I enjoy driving too - even when my commute is bad its how I decompress after work.

That said, if truly reliable self driving cars were available, especially if driving were still an option I could see times where it would be useful. Meeting at work? Ok car, you drive today so I can review the PowerPoint. We interviewed for (but didnt get) a project that would have had me driving four hours (each way) for meetings every week or two for a couple years. Letting the car do that drive would be nice.

We have all had
PCs, - froze and would do anything or become real slow in operation
DVD/Movie Streaming players - wouldn't continue, stopped in the show or hung on a menu selection
cell phones - would ring but you couldn't hear them or they couldn't hear you

and other digital equipment that hung,

Rebooting, or powering off or even removing AC power for a few minutes finally cleared the issue.

Right now a major issue is the self-driving cars will stop when they see snow falling.

I just can't see autonomous cars happening.

I would like to have a self-driving NASCAR race just once, to see if they would have faster times than the pros.

Finally is this a plan so people have to lease cars or use only Uber (lord hope not) and never own cars again.

Falling into the master plan I heard someone say in 2002, we'd never own a book, music, movie again, it will all be a monthly service.

• Like 2

Im not surprised, government is NEVER proactive, always reactive.

Yes sir. At the federal level, there is gridlock in Congress with S.1885, AV Start Act. This act would permit companies to test and sell autonomous cars right away, before federal safety regulations are finalized. The bill passed in the House, but is being held up in the Senate because a few senators want major changes. https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/1885

Edited by rperez817

Falling into the master plan I heard someone say in 2002, we'd never own a book, music, movie again, it will all be a monthly service.

This is a double edge sword-In all seriousness I'm not one to watch a movie multiple times over (some exceptions), but it also helps keep the clutter down to a minim.

I still buy hardcover books for the most part-since I've found that digital format (most of the time) isn't well done enough vs the original-but there are exceptions to that rule as of late.

You also get more "content", both good and bad that your exposed to-I didn't know about SciFi's The Expanse till I saw it on Amazon Video and fell in love with it- and lucked out that I discovered it about 2 weeks before the second season started on SciFi. The third one just started about 2 1/2 weeks ago. Then again you get winners like Beyond Skyline on Netflix that make you go-the first movie sucked, why did they think it was good idea to make a another?!

• Like 1

There are a lot of folks who don’t enjoy driving at all, especially in heavy traffic. Then there are the folks who stand to make a lot of money on it. And finally the safety Nazis who think this is the answer to eliminating traffic accidents and injuries.

How about for the next 10 years it should just be a driver assist/accident avoidance tool. As I've said-only winners are the lawyers and the Silicon Valley gang-its their agenda.

Heard some guy on radio yesterday..."well we are really not sure how this can function with snow banks, covered lane markings blah blah". Duh-this was not in the list of original considerations???

• Like 2

...I didn't know about SciFi's The Expanse till I saw it on Amazon Video and fell in love with it- and lucked out that I discovered it about 2 weeks before the second season started on SciFi. The third one just started about 2 1/2 weeks ago...

icon_thumbs1.gif Thanks for the heads up, silvrsvt!

• Like 1

Autoextremist is right, it won't happen overnight as some tech nerds assume.

Some think as soon as it's year 2020, "everyone" will ride in autonomous cars. Not for maybe another generation.

How many times will there be updates and "all new software" , will be years in the making, not overnight.

Edited by 630land

I consider some things to be inevitable ... like:

- lawmakers sticking completely ignorant noses where they doN'T belong

- tech-types [fore-]seeing only what they want/like

- the rich not giving a sheise about the needs of the non-rich

&

310px-Hindenburg_disaster.jpg

- how many have to die to give up on it?

Don't kid yourself - there is a huge part of the population that wants it too - either for perceived safety benefits or just because they hate driving.

Yes sir. As far back as 2014, more than half of people surveyed by BCG said that they would be willing to buy a partially self-driving car in the future, and 44% a fully self-driving car. If a similar survey was conducted in 2018, I bet the percentages would exceed 2/3 for people willing to buy partially self-driving cars and well over 50% for fully self-driving cars.

The potential benefits of self driving cars for safety, convenience, and accessibility are huge. Many are saying widespread deployment of AVs could be the greatest advancement in personal mobility since the motorcar was invented.

self%20driving%20car%20chart.GIF

How about for the next 10 years it should just be a driver assist/accident avoidance tool. As I've said-only winners are the lawyers and the Silicon Valley gang-its their agenda.

Heard some guy on radio yesterday..."well we are really not sure how this can function with snow banks, covered lane markings blah blah". Duh-this was not in the list of original considerations???

Lawyers will not be the winners here - less accidents will mean less lawsuits. Other "losers" will be body shops and people waiting for organ transplants. Autonomous cars are coming and will result in less accidents.

• Like 1

Lawyers will not be the winners here - less accidents will mean less lawsuits. Other "losers" will be body shops and people waiting for organ transplants. Autonomous cars are coming and will result in less accidents.

Yes sir. Insurance companies and state/local governments also stand to lose. Lot less money in insurance policy premiums from drivers and from fines for traffic law violations.

Yes sir. Insurance companies and state/local governments also stand to lose. Lot less money in insurance policy premiums from drivers and from fines for traffic law violations.

Yeah right. There will be a "autonomous vehicle insurance surcharge" required to have one.

• Like 1