Ford considering AWD and all-electric powertrain for the next-gen Mustang

The Ford Mustang is one of the most iconic cars ever build and there are many reasons for that. The innovative approach in the 1960s, the performance, the sales success, and its legacy on the race track have all contributed to the legend. But the nameplate also went through drastic changes. The second-gen model is now hated for turning the muscle car into a mundane compact, while the fourth-gen Mustang was this close to becoming a front-wheel drive car. The modern Mustang is again a symbol that brings together performance and affordability, but the nameplate is in for major changes in the near future. We already know that the pony will get a hybrid drivetrain in 2019, but it seems that Ford is considering offering the Mustang with all-wheel drive and as an EV.

The EV version is reportedly scheduled to arrive with the next-generation model. With the current-gen pony set to get a hybrid for the 2020 model year, its safe to assume that the seventh-gen Mustang wont be here sooner than 2022. The same goes for the all-wheel-drive system, which wont make it into the Mustang until Ford redesigns the car from the ground up.

the Mustang is a gasoline-only car by tradition, and its difficult to picture it with a different drivetrain, but times have changed, and the nameplate needs to adapt in order to survive. Just like a four-cylinder engine seemed like a silly idea decades ago, electrification in a Mustang might seem strange for most enthusiasts. But, its part of the nameplates evolution now, and it will become a reality soon. I get that hardcore fans hate the idea of an all-electric Mustang, but a battery-powered car will most definitely have solid performance and unprecedented torque.

The sprint to 60 mph will be quicker than ever with this model, so performance wont be sacrificed for the sake of going green. Sure, the roar of the V-8 engine will be replaced by the humming of an electric motor, so there is one thing to get used to, but think of the savings youll be making by not stopping at the gas station.

s obviously too early to talk about versions here, but given the fact that the Mustang usually spawns various performance versions, theres a big chance Ford will develop a Shelby equivalent of the Mustang EV. Unless the company is also planning an electric supercar based on the GT, the Mustang could compete with Tesla models in its range-topping spec. Hitting the 60-mph benchmark in less than three seconds is easier to achieve in an electric Mustang than a gasoline model. Just saying.

s, things may get even weirder in the future. According to Motor1, Ford may also be planning an SUV based on the Mustang. The idea belongs to Ford Global Markets president Jim Farley, who also hinted that this vehicle will have all-electric power. Whats more, the crossover could be launched with a "Mach 1" badge. It sure seems like an awkward decision to kill the performance-oriented Mustang Mach 1 in favor of an electric SUV, but Ford must have some sort of plan. And, with SUVs now overwhelmingly popular in the U.S., the company could get away with such a move. Naturally, this SUV and the next-gen Mustang EV will share drivetrains.

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/ford-considering-awd-and-all-electric-powertrain-for-the-next-gen-mustang-ar180892.html

Edited by RadicalX
  • Like 1

I would welcome AWD for sure. Traction is pitiful on the current model. I would have screamed "HELL NO" to anything electric until I drag raced a Tesla last summer and it pulled away so fast, it nearly sucked my windshield out.

Hard to beat INSTANT torque!

• Like 1

akirby....which is why I wonder a hybrid F150 has taken so long.....100% torque at 0 rpms should be a huge plus for towing capabilities...

Because battery weight takes away payload plus I'm sure durability was a factor. They were looking at a hydraulic hybrid for a few years.

• Like 1

Because battery weight takes away payload plus I'm sure durability was a factor. They were looking at a hydraulic hybrid for a few years.

Yes, this is the problem. Hybrid or electric pickup can't happen until we reach higher energy density from the battery. We may be getting close in the next couple of years.

Mustang AWD seems overdue, especially on the real high performance versions that could use more traction. Obviously with CD6 architecture, that will be simple to implement.

Mustang hybrid is coming but this is the first we've heard about Mustang EV. I'm very skeptical about this... I was pretty certain Ford will only use the E1 architecture for EVs as the engineering compromises for C1 and CD6 don't make them good candidates for EV application.

You really can't design a good EV if you still have to worry about legacy problems like drive shaft, gas tank locations, engine protruding into cabins in a crash test etc. You end up with an EV with unnecessary structure weight designed to cater to the internal combustion engine. And weight is a huge problem with EVs.

Mustang hybrid is coming but this is the first we've heard about Mustang EV. I'm very skeptical about this... I was pretty certain Ford will only use the E1 architecture for EVs as the engineering compromises for C1 and CD6 don't make them good candidates for EV application.

You really can't design a good EV if you still have to worry about legacy problems like drive shaft, gas tank locations, engine protruding into cabins in a crash test etc. You end up with an EV with unnecessary structure weight designed to cater to the internal combustion engine. And weight is a huge problem with EVs.

Agree with you completely. The article seems to take several existing known facts and stir them up into a new soup - most of which seems centered on Ford calling the EV 'Mach 1' and then this writer somehow stretching that to indicate an EV Mustang. As a well known blogger would write, "notgonnahappen.com".

Edited by Harley Lover

I've wondered for years why Ford hadn't developed an AWD powertrain for the Mustang. The vast majority of BMW, Mercedes and other imports on the road in CT are AWD and a fair number are 2-door models. Every time I pass one of those 2-doors I wonder if the owner would have bought a Mustang if it had been available with AWD.

As much as I enjoy my Mustang GT, I am extremely disappointed in its ability to put the power to the pavement. Even with the additional weight of AWD, I have no doubt that low speed acceleration would be dramatically improved. There would also be benefits for those who are less interested in all out acceleration. AWD would make the car safer on wet roads and much more practical in Northern climates.

I've wondered for years why Ford hadn't developed an AWD powertrain for the Mustang. The vast majority of BMW, Mercedes and other imports on the road in CT are AWD and a fair number are 2-door models. Every time I pass one of those 2-doors I wonder if the owner would have bought a Mustang if it had been available with AWD.

one of the reasons I ended up with my Audi is Quattro.If the mustang convertible had come with AWD I would have one today.
  • Like 1

I think the author in the OP article has built a house of cards, has read way too much into information filtering from Ford.

Yes, Jim Farley said there will be a Mustang inspired SUV called Mach1 but that does not mean it is based on Mustang.

Equally, Ford is on record as saying that a hybrid Mustang with the performance of a V8 is planned.

Off topic,

Overnight, the southern states of Australia experienced Aurora Australia

http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fm

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The switch to CD6 Platform will allow Ford to deliver a cost effective hybrid with what

Ford has previously described as "acceleration similar to a V8"

Beyond that is anyone's guess but to a full EV Mustang?

Not a chance on CD6.