Baby V8 Ecoboost?

I have to assume that Ford/Lincoln will end up with something similar to the circa 4.0TT V8 formula that is getting increasingly common across many makes. I'll always admit a lifelong love of Mustangs and other Fords with a "5.0" involved, but for eventual top-shelf Lincolns and other applications, I have to believe that there will be some "Ecobeast"-ish smaller V8.

It's really only useful in RWD sedans or crossovers and we won't have those beyond Aviator and Explorer until after 2020.

Until....life gets in the way and someone (you'll get the blame) forgets to plug it in. I think that will be a real kicker with plug ins until they get the "5 minute" recharge figured out.

There was talk of an industry-standard (I don't recall who was doing it--maybe SAE, or maybe a coalition of manufacturers) "docking" connector for charging cars. Basically, you'd drive into a parking space with the "dock," and it would automagically connect to the car. I haven't heard anything recently, though.

Very true, but no Lightning package available from the factory.

That, and the Lightning was more than a powerplant. It could actually go around corners.

A friend of mine took his wife to Bondurant's school (mid-'90s, before they went to the dark side), and they had 1st gen Lightnings for people who couldn't drive a stick. He said his wife was driving a Lightning and she was doing better than a bunch of the folks in the Mustangs. It was then that it hit him how special the Lightning was--he was watching an F-150 outperforming Mustangs on a track.

• Like 1

351.whats needed is UNIVERSAL charging stations...VW is adding a bunch and I believe theres a signed partnership with a bunch of manufacturers ( including Ford ) where the charging system and "plug" are universal....Tesla will be screwed.

Theres two main competing standards for fast charging, one mainly Japanese, and one mainly euro/US. Many chargers support both plugs. Tesla has thier own connector but also thier own well established network of superchargers. Theres no real pitfall to competing standards.

There was talk of an industry-standard (I don't recall who was doing it--maybe SAE, or maybe a coalition of manufacturers) "docking" connector for charging cars. Basically, you'd drive into a parking space with the "dock," and it would automagically connect to the car. I haven't heard anything recently, though.

Tesla is (stupidly) fighting that tooth and nail because it undermines their supercharging network.