Baby V8 Ecoboost?

Why does she have to have it fully charged? If 20-30 minutes gets you 300 miles, 5 minutes would likely get you 75 or more. That's enough to find someplace less lonely, no?

Depends how far a charging station would be from the destination. That seems to be one of the biggest problems. I've never actually seen one anywhere.

Depends how far a charging station would be from the destination. That seems to be one of the biggest problems. I've never actually seen one anywhere.

I agree that that is a major issue. I'm going under the assumption that charging stations are widespread. You won't see widespread adoption of EV's until you have charging stations spaced well across the country.

Just a general comment, the 300 mile range EV manufacturers are throwing around only happens in warm, southern California weather. If you live in an area that experiences winter, your range will be much less. I got into an email conversation with Detroit News auto writer, Henry Payne, about EV range. His real-world experience is that batteries can lose up to 50% of their capacity in cold weather. So that 300 mile range becomes 150 miles when it’s 20 degrees out. For me (we saw -25F at our place in northern Michigan this winter), this is unacceptable.

icon_thumbs1.gif/yet, my head is coming up with a bunch of yeahBUTs...

IF the car starts from a heated garage? (...To a heated garage?)

IF it's much more likely to make long[er] trips in warmer weather?

How soon recharge facilities will proliferate (ex: in Sault Ste. Marie &or Traverse City)

etc...

...just sayin'

& YMMV

Edited by 2b2

Not often.

We live in a rural area in northern lower Michigan. The nearest "big town" (Traverse City) is a 120 mile round trip. We spend a lot of time in Sault Ste. Marie (230 mile round trip). If we can't make it to Sault Ste. Marie and back on a single charge, there's no reason for me to buy an EV.

Another thing that will be needed is roadside assistance being able to bring a charge as they now bring gas to a stranded driver.

• Like 1

fuzzy...Teslas rule the world by doing things their own way will be their demise....not franchising for a stable infrastructure and servicing base?....brand specific charging stations ?.....fine when youre the only game in town....now the ice is thin...AND slowly melting Im told ( Global warming )

• Like 1

icon_thumbs1.gif/yet, my head is coming up with a bunch of yeahBUTs...

IF the car starts from a heated garage? (...To a heated garage?)

IF it's much more likely to make long[er] trips in warmer weather?

How soon recharge facilities will proliferate (ex: in Sault Ste. Marie &or Traverse City)

etc...

...just sayin'

& YMMV

Valid points, but why buy an EV when we can just hop in the Focus and ride anywhere we want, in any type of weather? Getting 40+mpg too?

Valid points, but why buy an EV when we can just hop in the Focus and ride anywhere we want, in any type of weather? Getting 40+mpg too?

It's been years since I saw "Who Killed the Electric Car?", but one quote I always remembered was "What the detractors and the critics of electric cars have been saying for years, is true. The electric vehicle is not for everybody. Given the limited range, it can only meet the needs of ninety percent of the population." For me, it would be hard to make an electric car work because I travel for work. But my wife, son, daughter, Mom, mother-in-law, etc., they hardly ever drive more than 20 miles at a time, electric cars would work for them just fine. In a multi car household like mine, electric cars would be just fine, as long as we had one gasser.

• Like 4

It's been years since I saw "Who Killed the Electric Car?", but one quote I always remembered was "What the detractors and the critics of electric cars have been saying for years, is true. The electric vehicle is not for everybody. Given the limited range, it can only meet the needs of ninety percent of the population." For me, it would be hard to make an electric car work because I travel for work. But my wife, son, daughter, Mom, mother-in-law, etc., they hardly ever drive more than 20 miles at a time, electric cars would work for them just fine. In a multi car household like mine, electric cars would be just fine, as long as we had one gasser.

Agreed. An electric car would work well for my wife and her 30 mile commute to work. She could likely get 3-4 days on a charge. Since I got my truck, we usually take it on longer trips, so an EV would work well for us. We will likely look for a PIV (PHEV? whatever the acronym is) for her next vehicle as it will be the best of both worlds, and likely have a lower price than a pure EV. Couple that with our solar panels and it's a perfect combination.

• Like 1

I was just looking for a Lightning Blue RCSB Sport, with 5.0, & locking rear. There are 3 in the country available. 2 are Lightning tributes, (GA & FL) and one is done like a lightning but with no Lightning emblems (PA). All 3 are lowered, side exhaust, wheels & Leather. Not a factory Blue one in the country!

Edited by LSchicago

Agreed. An electric car would work well for my wife and her 30 mile commute to work. She could likely get 3-4 days on a charge. Since I got my truck, we usually take it on longer trips, so an EV would work well for us. We will likely look for a PIV (PHEV? whatever the acronym is) for her next vehicle as it will be the best of both worlds, and likely have a lower price than a pure EV. Couple that with our solar panels and it's a perfect combination.

Until....life gets in the way and someone (you'll get the blame) forgets to plug it in. I think that will be a real kicker with plug ins until they get the "5 minute" recharge figured out.

Until....life gets in the way and someone (you'll get the blame) forgets to plug it in. I think that will be a real kicker with plug ins until they get the "5 minute" recharge figured out.

Oh yeah, I agree there. I'm sure the EV car phone apps (if they don't have this already) will remind you at night that your power is low and you need to charge it.

I thought most PHEVs were around 20 mile range. I expect at least 30 from Aviator, maybe as much as 50. The problem with older PHEVs is most were built on a regular chassis and battery placement was difficult. With a platform engineered for hybrids this won't be an issue.

I believe 50 km @31 miles, is what you need to be a serious contender for a PHEV. 50 miles is probably too much at this point. 30 is fine as long as it can have good acceleration and a top speed of 75mph electric only.

I have to assume that Ford/Lincoln will end up with something similar to the circa 4.0TT V8 formula that is getting increasingly common across many makes. I'll always admit a lifelong love of Mustangs and other Fords with a "5.0" involved, but for eventual top-shelf Lincolns and other applications, I have to believe that there will be some "Ecobeast"-ish smaller V8.