Baby V8 Ecoboost?

Not saying they're the best example to follow, but Tesla's nav system will route your trip through cities with charging stations (well, Tesla Superchargers).

What a pain the ass that would be. I like to roll when I'm on a trip. When I took my son to college I went 1,360 miles the first day. With an electric maybe 800? Would add a 3rd day to a 2 day trip. That would suck.

The world, particularly the US car market, is currently in a "nostalgia" or "retro" mode, where we are trying to go back to the way things used to be. But as the old saying goes, "I lived through the 'good old days', they weren't so good!". As the price of gas creeps up (over $3.00 / gallon this summer?) and the manufacturers get better at electrification and squeezing ever more out of I4 and V6 engines, this bring back the V8s mania shall pass. I still don't see V8s being very common by 2015 MY. The rest of the world will keep marching forward on technology. V8s won't be necessary or practical by the mid 20s.

Yes I had V8s for daily drivers for many years up until a few years ago. I am quite impressed with my current turbo 4.

Gas pricing is more or less physiological though-Your not going to see a huge savings going from 20-25 to 30-35 MPG, like you would if your only getting 15 MPG

I'm paying roughly $20 bucks a month more for gas then I did when it was cheaper last summer.

What a pain the ass that would be. I like to roll when I'm on a trip. When I took my son to college I went 1,360 miles the first day. With an electric maybe 800? Would add a 3rd day to a 2 day trip. That would suck.

But you're not the typical EV buyer. A PHEV would work perfectly for that scenario. Use electric power around town and on short trips but use it like a normal gasoline vehicle on long trips at 35-45 mpg.

Gas pricing is more or less physiological though-Your not going to see a huge savings going from 20-25 to 30-35 MPG, like you would if your only getting 15 MPG

I'm paying roughly $20 bucks a month more for gas then I did when it was cheaper last summer.

Also - the big shock of $4 gas is over with. Most who had an issue with it have already adjusted their vehicles and driving habits and expectations. Even F150s are getting over 20 mpg these days.

Also - the big shock of $4 gas is over with. Most who had an issue with it have already adjusted their vehicles and driving habits and expectations. Even F150s are getting over 20 mpg these days.

I get your point, but I think the car buying public will think otherwise. Why pay all that extra for a V8 when turbo 4 or 6 does the job and gets better MPG? I don't think an ecoboost V8 would be profitable for Ford. Remember members of this forum don't represent the general appliance crossover buying public. I also think many of the bottom 50% of wage earners out there will be freaking out if gas jumps over $4.00 a gallon anytime soon. But lets just sit back and see where we are in 2025. It would be almost that long until your turbo v8 is widely available at your local Ford Store anyway. Again I think it would be a waste of Fords resources for a niche enthusiast market.

But you're not the typical EV buyer. A PHEV would work perfectly for that scenario. Use electric power around town and on short trips but use it like a normal gasoline vehicle on long trips at 35-45 mpg.

I'm not an EV buyer at all. Still a motorhead. I run E85 when possible in my Coyote because it makes more power. Not really concerned with MPG. The more it uses the more I put in. My car gets about 7 MPG, but it's more about smiles per gallon. 7.7 liter, 4 speed and 4.10's were not made for miles per gallon, but Smiles per gallon. My Coyote truck gets 20-25 MPG on the highway depending on if I drive 65 or 85.I'm happy with that. It's roomy and comfortable, not a cracker box.

I didn't say it's convenient, but until EV charges become more widespread, that's what you'd have to do if you wanted to go on a road trip of any significant length.

As akirby pointed out, that's where PHEVs will be the logical short term solution in an overall transition to electric. You can have the benefits of the electric, while retaining the unlimited range of a gasoline vehicle with stations everywhere. And as electric chargers become more widespread, and charging time comes down, then electrics will become more feasible.

I get your point, but I think the car buying public will think otherwise. Why pay all that extra for a V8 when turbo 4 or 6 does the job and gets better MPG? I don't think an ecoboost V8 would be profitable for Ford. Remember members of this forum don't represent the general appliance crossover buying public. I also think many of the bottom 50% of wage earners out there will be freaking out if gas jumps over $4.00 a gallon anytime soon. But lets just sit back and see where we are in 2025. It would be almost that long until your turbo v8 is widely available at your local Ford Store anyway. Again I think it would be a waste of Fords resources for a niche enthusiast market.

In case you haven't noticed, there is a performance war brewing in new vehicles, not just an economy war. An Ecoboost V8 would be a HOT seller now, and would sell at a PREMIUM.

Why does she have to have it fully charged? If 20-30 minutes gets you 300 miles, 5 minutes would likely get you 75 or more. That's enough to find someplace less lonely, no?

Just a general comment, the 300 mile range EV manufacturers are throwing around only happens in warm, southern California weather. If you live in an area that experiences winter, your range will be much less. I got into an email conversation with Detroit News auto writer, Henry Payne, about EV range. His real-world experience is that batteries can lose up to 50% of their capacity in cold weather. So that 300 mile range becomes 150 miles when it’s 20 degrees out. For me (we saw -25F at our place in northern Michigan this winter), this is unacceptable.

• Like 1

I'm not saying it would necessarily be profitable and it would be a niche engine. I'm just addressing the gas price issue in general.

Anyone who would be concerned about gas prices is already driving a fuel efficient vehicle. A $1.50 jump in gas equates to about $12/week for someone driving a 30 mpg car. Those people got rid of the gas hogs the last time gas went to $4.

The last one was unexpected. The next one won't be and people are better prepared. Not to mention vehicles in general get much better mpg now.

I'm not an EV buyer at all. Still a motorhead. I run E85 when possible in my Coyote because it makes more power. Not really concerned with MPG. The more it uses the more I put in. My car gets about 7 MPG, but it's more about smiles per gallon. 7.7 liter, 4 speed and 4.10's were not made for miles per gallon, but Smiles per gallon. My Coyote truck gets 20-25 MPG on the highway depending on if I drive 65 or 85.I'm happy with that. It's roomy and comfortable, not a cracker box.

An Aviator PHEV 3.0T would give you that performance (probably 450 hp combined) AND all the PHEV benefits - no compromise needed.

Just a general comment, the 300 mile range EV manufacturers are throwing around only happens in warm, southern California weather. If you live in an area that experiences winter, your range will be much less. I got into an email conversation with Detroit News auto writer, Henry Payne, about EV range. His real-world experience is that batteries can lose up to 50% of their capacity in cold weather. So that 300 mile range becomes 150 miles when it’s 20 degrees out. For me (we saw -25F at our place in northern Michigan this winter), this is unacceptable.

How often do you drive more than 150 miles per day?

Oh yes, I definitely understand that and agree. There are plenty of people who could not make an EV work, but there are plenty where it would be a perfect fit.

• Like 1

How often do you drive more than 150 miles per day?

Not often.

We live in a rural area in northern lower Michigan. The nearest "big town" (Traverse City) is a 120 mile round trip. We spend a lot of time in Sault Ste. Marie (230 mile round trip). If we can't make it to Sault Ste. Marie and back on a single charge, there's no reason for me to buy an EV.

• Like 1

The company has promised its electrified Mustang will not be solely focused on fuel efficiency, however, with "V8 power" and "even more low-end torque."

I assumed this meant they are competing with Dodge/Ram, who is actually adding a Hybrid system to their Hemi for 2019 also.

Edited by LSchicago

351.whats needed is UNIVERSAL charging stations...VW is adding a bunch and I believe theres a signed partnership with a bunch of manufacturers ( including Ford ) where the charging system and "plug" are universal....Tesla will be screwed.

Edited by Deanh