Baby V8 Ecoboost?

We're walking to electrification and you guys expecting V8 from a line Ford-focused efficiency. We need to think of an electri Ford GT , in an Mustang GT hybrid plugin and not to the past as the Cadillac does with the CT-6 which, by not selling well, decided to put a V8

We're walking to electrification and you guys expecting V8 from a line Ford-focused efficiency. We need to think of an electri Ford GT , in an Mustang GT hybrid plugin and not to the past as the Cadillac does with the CT-6 which, by not selling well, decided to put a V8

If Porsche can do a Panamera Turbo S E Hybrid (4.0 liter twin-turbo V8 engine 550 hp, Electric machine 136 hp) then yes.

• Like 1

I'd much rather have a TT V8.

Considering that electric vehicles aren't yet being built profitably, I'd bet that the iconic V8 still has some life left in it; the Mustang's most popular configuration worldwide is the GT with the 5.0.

• Like 2

think of large but light trucks&vans paygo'ing some kind/size of v8 for decade(s) to come

imho

I sincerely think there will be a backlash towards electrification...kinda like how theres still the V8 chaps/ ladies that cant embrace the eco boost wave.....I know I will take some convincing for one...Im not as headstrong as some, but I love the sound of ICE's when unleashed....v8's especially.

I sincerely think there will be a backlash towards electrification...kinda like how theres still the V8 chaps/ ladies that cant embrace the eco boost wave.....I know I will take some convincing for one...Im not as headstrong as some, but I love the sound of ICE's when unleashed....v8's especially.

I'm OK with Ecoboosts. Really want V8 Ecoboosts though. I just really love a good V8. I will buy them until they go the way of the Dinosaurs. My smallest engine is a Coyote.

Edited by LSchicago
  • Like 2

Problem is that the buying public is not generally interested in electrification (look at sales of electrics over the last 5 years where they've been widely available in the market). They may play some small role in the coming years but they're not "the future". The only reason anybody is taking about them in any significant capacity is because the wall street analysts are currently obsessed with that buzzword.

The car buying public has voted with their wallets and internal combustion is here to stay for the long term.

As to whether or not Ford needs an ecoboost V8...? Possibly. It depends on what their plans are regarding the 6.2 and 7x in coming years. Of course the big 7x isn't an ideal Lincoln engine but I could see it being class-leading in the Navi if done right. Beyond that, Ford could make boosted small V8 numbers with a boosted inline six that'd be at least as smooth if smooth is what they're after for Lincoln. The straight six could also replace the current 3.3/3.5/3.7 application too.

But I agree that sooner or later, they're going to need something smoother than a V6 for the Lincoln flagship if they want to remain competitive.

Range and cost are holding back EV sales. Once you can get 200+ mile range for $30K they’ll become a lot more popular.

I do think PHEVs will be the predominant architecture though. You get most of the benefits of an EV most of the time but without any range anxiety.

• Like 2

Problem is that the buying public is not generally interested in electrification (look at sales of electrics over the last 5 years where they've been widely available in the market). They may play some small role in the coming years but they're not "the future". The only reason anybody is taking about them in any significant capacity is because the wall street analysts are currently obsessed with that buzzword.

The car buying public has voted with their wallets and internal combustion is here to stay for the long term.

As to whether or not Ford needs an ecoboost V8...? Possibly. It depends on what their plans are regarding the 6.2 and 7x in coming years. Of course the big 7x isn't an ideal Lincoln engine but I could see it being class-leading in the Navi if done right. Beyond that, Ford could make boosted small V8 numbers with a boosted inline six that'd be at least as smooth if smooth is what they're after for Lincoln. The straight six could also replace the current 3.3/3.5/3.7 application too.

But I agree that sooner or later, they're going to need something smoother than a V6 for the Lincoln flagship if they want to remain competitive.

My son who is an electrical engineer, gave Tesla a brief thought. Then he Bought a 2013 GT500 with every option. He never gave Tesla a second thought after that. Even if the Tesla is quicker, you can't replace that boosted V8 sound and feel. He probably won't trade when the new GT500 comes out though. He's very happy with his. I won't consider Lincoln until they have a V8 again. Having driven a 2018 CTS V, it is just too much fun. Not a GM fan at all, but Caddy has it going on with engines in the V's.

The average ICE range is 300+ miles historically. Until EV's are available with a 300+ range at an attractive/competitive price point there will be continued buyer resistance.

Not just range but recharge time. That's important on long trips (8+ hours).

• Like 6

The Mustang needs to keep track of time and technology. He's the most important vehicle in Ford's touring cars. If the Mustang is not a car that accompanies technological advances, energy efficiency, it will always be considered a car that can not be innovative and refined

Yeah until you can recharge it in the same amount of time it takes to pump 15 gal of gasoline, they're at a huge disadvantage and are not going to take any significant share of the market.

For the few people that do road trips this makes a difference, for most people they don't care; they can charge at home overnight, I have a coworker with an Explorer lease -- 36 month 10500/year lease, 28 months into it she has 8200 miles on it. I also have a friend with a Tesla that commutes 122 miles each way, he just had them put in a charging at his place and he charges at home and at the office.

Charging issues for most people are towing package on a SUV 98% of people are never going to use it but will worry highly about it during purchasing.

Edited by jasonj80