Cadillac Fires de Nyychen

mackinaw

I can't help but think Cadillac was able to overcome their massive initial spend on the brand with bankruptcy. That just enabled the behavior of massive overspending on creating products and chasing BMW with their ring times. While I like performance luxury sedans, I realize most people don't. If they do, they will buy BMW, Audi, or Mercedes. You have to tip your hat to the engineering that Cadillac has put into their sedans. I am not a big fan of the styling but for the most part are great performers.

However, its clear that the became hyper focused on cars and put the blinders on just about anything outside of the Escalade. This myopic view of the changing luxury market led them down the road they are now. It's like they couldn't see the trends in luxury vehicles. The SRX was a greater seller but I am convinced there was 10k on the hood of every one of the sold. The sheer arrogance of GM who had been bailed out by our government thought they were smarter than everyone else. Not to long after their bailout we got this gem from Dan Akerson ,“You might as well sprinkle holy water. [Lincoln is] over.”

Well, Ford and Lincoln specifically isn't perfect. However, it's looking more like the slow and steady approach for Lincoln may have been the better way. Lincoln has a ways to go and needs to pull off flawless execution of the new MKC, Nautilus and Aviator. Slow and steady! Aren't you glad Mullaly didn't pull the plug?

Edited by jcartwright99

Those commercials with the "Bros" driving an ATS sure helped sales!

And the ads with cars roaming (fake) empty NYC streets, too. As if it's so easy to drive there and park in front of a Starbucks!

Where are all the BMW trade ins?

Edited by 630land

I like XT5 and XTS. Not confusing at all.

I assume ATS and CTS will adopt CTx nomenclature (CT4, CT5?), XTS is dead man walking. Cant imagine them dropping the Escalade name though.

At least Lincoln woke up and is going back to traditional model names to help re-establish brand and model identity and recognition.

• Like 1

I like XT5 and XTS. Not confusing at all.

I assume ATS and CTS will adopt CTx nomenclature (CT4, CT5?), XTS is dead man walking. Cant imagine them dropping the Escalade name though.

Yes, CTS and ATS are waiting for redesigns to switch to the new nomenclature.

These make the Lincoln names look easy.

I dont know, once fully implemented XTx for C/SUV and CTx for sedans where x=Number from low/small to high/large is pretty understandable. I think waiting to implement the schema across the brand, given how long it will be from when first implemented to when complete is a mistake (ATS/CTS could be renamed without a significant MCE). I feel the same way about MkC, especially given its significant MCE.

Escalade will likely end up as the odd man out, but then so was Navigator at Lincoln.

The MK schema had no hierarchy.

I dont know, once fully implemented XTx for C/SUV and CTx for sedans where x=Number from low/small to high/large is pretty understandable. I think waiting to implement the schema across the brand, given how long it will be from when first implemented to when complete is a mistake (ATS/CTS could be renamed without a significant MCE). I feel the same way about MkC, especially given its significant MCE.

Escalade will likely end up as the odd man out, but then so was Navigator at Lincoln.

The MK schema had no hierarchy.

I agree, once implemented, it'll make sense, but right now it's confusing. I think they could've used the existing setup for sedans, just using "higher" letters of the alphabet as you go up in size. Crossovers could've been paired with their similar size letter (ARX, CRX, etc)

MKC's refresh was not significant in any way. It got a new grille insert - headlights, and the lower bumper didn't even change, and nothing else changed at all. It's my belief that they didn't give it a name because 1) it was a minor refresh, and 2) the full on named replacement is due within a year or two of the refresh (also why the refresh was so minimal).

Here is my take... JDN was focused on long term vision of what he wanted Cadillac to be, which is EV CUV and powerful statement sedans. GM's board ran out of patience and wanted more immediate sales results. JDN also didn't buy himself enough time by insisting XTS be killed when it is by far the best selling sedan in both US and China.

If you look at Cadillac's product launch timelines, it seems obvious that JDN put a bunch of programs on hold for review when he got there. This is what we know:

1. CT4/CT5 are delayed by at least 3 years

2. XT6 is delayed by about 2 years

So let's unpack this.

First, it shouldn't take GM this long to do a LWB XT5 with 7 seats (XT6) to the point that not only is it behind Encalve, it is also now launching behind Chevy Traverse. If the SWB version (XT5) was launched with Arcadia (another SWB C1xx), then timing of XT6 made no sense being this far apart from Enclave. Clearly XT6 was put on hold.

Second, we know JDN wanted Cadillac to have the biggest vehicle in every class it competes in so it required a game of leapfrog in size so he ordered CT4, and CT5 back to the drawing board to increase size.

Third, we also know JDN was looking at EV options for Cadillac for a while now. GM is focused on Bolt and volume end of the EV market and hasn't really addressed the luxury end after a token attempt at a fancy first gen Volt.

This is my guess what happened - JDN initially cancelled XT6 because he wanted to develop an EV CUV for that space. And he also delayed CT4, and CT5 to make them bigger "tweener". At some point, he realized he doesn't have the time to wait for the EV CUV project so he put XT6 back on (or he was forced to?). And the decision to kill off XTS while CT4 and CT5 is still so far off means dealers are complaining about lack of products... so XTS was put on extended life but without any update. These decisions kind of compound each other and ultimately JDN didn't buy himself enough time.

If he had agreed to do another quick and dirty update of XTS based on the new LaCrosse and didn't initially put XT6 on ice, he'd still be in charge of his vision. Which I may add, is not a bad one. Expensive... yes, but not bad from a product standpoint.

Here is my take... JDN was focused on long term vision of what he wanted Cadillac to be, which is EV CUV and powerful statement sedans. GM's board ran out of patience and wanted more immediate sales results. JDN also didn't buy himself enough time by insisting XTS be killed when it is by far the best selling sedan in both US and China.

If you look at Cadillac's product launch timelines, it seems obvious that JDN put a bunch of programs on hold for review when he got there. This is what we know:

1. CT4/CT5 are delayed by at least 3 years

2. XT6 is delayed by about 2 years

So let's unpack this.

First, it shouldn't take GM this long to do a LWB XT5 with 7 seats (XT6) to the point that not only is it behind Encalve, it is also now launching behind Chevy Traverse. If the SWB version (XT5) was launched with Arcadia (another SWB C1xx), then timing of XT6 made no sense being this far apart from Enclave. Clearly XT6 was put on hold.

Second, we know JDN wanted Cadillac to have the biggest vehicle in every class it competes in so it required a game of leapfrog in size so he ordered CT4, and CT5 back to the drawing board to increase size.

Third, we also know JDN was looking at EV options for Cadillac for a while now. GM is focused on Bolt and volume end of the EV market and hasn't really addressed the luxury end after a token attempt at a fancy first gen Volt.

This is my guess what happened - JDN initially cancelled XT6 because he wanted to develop an EV CUV for that space. And he also delayed CT4, and CT5 to make them bigger "tweener". At some point, he realized he doesn't have the time to wait for the EV CUV project so he put XT6 back on (or he was forced to?). And the decision to kill off XTS while CT4 and CT5 is still so far off means dealers are complaining about lack of products... so XTS was put on extended life but without any update. These decisions kind of compound each other and ultimately JDN didn't buy himself enough time.

If he had agreed to do another quick and dirty update of XTS based on the new LaCrosse and didn't initially put XT6 on ice, he'd still be in charge of his vision. Which I may add, is not a bad one. Expensive... yes, but not bad from a product standpoint.

XTS just got an update?