Cadillac Fires de Nyychen

mackinaw

The Continental got a lot of media attention and positive reviews but none of it has produced the necessary end result... sales.

Agreed - Continental was a good step for Lincoln and the best vehicle they had produced to date, but not all that successful from a retail perspective. Partially due to the decline in car sales.

Navigator and Aviator are the first vehicles from Lincoln with virtually no compromises.

• Like 3

I think this had more to deal with his personality and budgets. The NYC move is apparently 3x over budget and recruitment is proving harder than thought. Vehicle program budgets are being blown and the board is furious over this however they do have product coming. He doesn't really take direction and does whatever he wants, costs don't matter.

Edited by jasonj80

Agreed - Continental was a good step for Lincoln and the best vehicle they had produced to date, but not all that successful from a retail perspective. Partially due to the decline in car sales

that and they have been very reluctant to put incentives on it or offer super competitive lease deals.
  • Like 2

GM thinks so - they’re so scared of Navigator they’re offering $10K rebates on Escalades. And they have no answer for Aviator that we’ve seen or heard about.

You can’t possibly be defending their lack of product focus. The cars may be technically solid but from a business standpoint they’re not at all successful. If they were Johan would still be in charge.

Yep GM is totally not making an new Escalade.....

Aviator is a good step and Caddy need an answer for it but don't kid yourself if you think it will sell in XT5 or probable XT4 numbers..

The cars weren't selling like that before JDN got there unless you're talking about the fleet queen XTS. Updated CT6, CT5/ 4 would see how did his legacy do.

Ironically, XT6 was spied today....

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/04/18/cadillac-xt6-three-row-crossover-spy-photos/

cadillacxt6-p04-kgp-ed-copy-1.jpg

cadillacxt6-p10-kgp-ed-copy-1.jpg

cadillacxt6-p11-kgp-ed-copy-1.jpg

I'll reserve full judgment for its reveal, but it looks boring.

Wow, it would take years to see or redirect Caddy from its current course. The 4.2 V8, CT6 refresh, XT5/4 and NY was the right step...

Yes sir. Cadillac really needed someone to bring greatness to the brand. Give it a boost to help make the brand "standard of the world" again. De Nysschen was the right person to make that happen, and he delivered. The last full year he was President (2017), Cadillac recorded the second highest sales volume globally in its 115 year history.

Sad to hear De Nysschen left Cadillac. Hopefully GM will preserve the culture of ownership in the Cadillac brand that De Nysschen developed and keep it going on its current course.

The Continental got a lot of media attention and positive reviews but none of it has produced the necessary end result... sales.

inspired by your post icon_thumbs1.gif & hoping this chart can be seen here too [BON image software won't work for me]
thought it'd make sense to look at combined sales for the CD4 platform @ Lincoln

Yes sir. Cadillac really needed someone to bring greatness to the brand. Give it a boost to help make the brand "standard of the world" again. De Nysschen was the right person to make that happen, and he delivered. The last full year he was President (2017), Cadillac recorded the second highest sales volume globally in its 115 year history.

Sad to hear De Nysschen left Cadillac. Hopefully GM will preserve the culture of ownership in the Cadillac brand that De Nysschen developed and keep it going on its current course.

Just because he made stuff that you like doesn’t make him a good leader or good for Cadillac.

• Like 1

If he was as good as you say he was, they wouldn't have fired him.

• Like 1

If he was as good as you say he was, they wouldn't have fired him.

Excellent leaders get fired all the time because of politics. Both in government and the business world. That's probably what happened with De Nysschen. Political battles between him and other top management at GM. The former GM Canada President that replaced De Nysschen may have been involved in those battles.

Just because he made stuff that you like doesn’t make him a good leader or good for Cadillac.

De Nysschen's tenure at Cadillac had sales increases for the brand globally every year from 2014 to 2017. As mentioned earlier, the 2017 sales number was the second highest in Cadillac history. Cadillac also introduced award winning products during that time that were competitive with the best European and Japanese luxury car makers. Plus the move to New York City infused Cadillac with expertise about marketing luxury products. Those things helped improve Cadillac's brand reputation. There's still room for improvement of course. But finally the ship is heading in the right direction at Cadillac thanks to De Nysschen's work.

Edited by rperez817

Excellent leaders get fired all the time because of politics. Both in government and the business world. That's probably what happened with De Nysschen.

If you read what GM said about it you would see that's definitely not what happened. He focused too much on slow selling cars and ignored the booming utility market. Period.

De Nysschen's tenure at Cadillac had sales increases for the brand globally every year from 2014 to 2017. As mentioned earlier, the 2017 sales number was the second highest in Cadillac history.

But at what expense and how much profit? All those new platforms are unbelievably expensive so it's not illogical to deduce that Caddy wasn't nearly as profitable as GM expected.

Cadillac also introduced award winning products during that time that were competitive with the best European and Japanese luxury car makers.

That nobody wanted to buy in any meaningful numbers at full price. It doesn't matter how good the products are you have to be able to sell them for a reasonable profit or you're a failure. What he should have done is revamp Escalade and bring more crossovers more quickly instead of adding more cars, especially larger cars.

Your lack of business sense is alarming.

De Nysschen's tenure at Cadillac had sales increases for the brand globally every year from 2014 to 2017. As mentioned earlier, the 2017 sales number was the second highest in Cadillac history.

One last note. GM was #1 in sales when they went bankrupt. Sales mean nothing without profit.

• Like 3

If you read what GM said about it you would see that's definitely not what happened.

The GM press release is typical management and PR speak. http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/home.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2018/apr/0418-carlisle.htmlA nice way of saying "Thank you De Nysschen for getting things going in the right direction at Cadillac. To heck with you!"

It's the nature of politics. Internally, battles rage. Externally, when the battle results in someone losing their rank or job, the winner will say some nice sounding fluff about the loser and then put himself on the pedestal. I've seen it happen to several leaders in the federal government agencies where I've worked.

The GM press release is typical management and PR speak. http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/home.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2018/apr/0418-carlisle.htmlA nice way of saying "Thank you De Nysschen for getting things going in the right direction at Cadillac. To heck with you!"

It's the nature of politics. Internally, battles rage. Externally, when the battle results in someone losing their rank or job, the winner will say some nice sounding fluff about the loser and then put himself on the pedestal. I've seen it happen to several leaders in the federal government agencies where I've worked.

I agree it can be politics but in this case GM made it abundantly clear that Johan was not interested in utilities and that's why he's gone. Trying to make it sound like anything else is just being ignorant of the facts.

"We appreciate Johan’s efforts over the last four years in setting a stronger foundation for Cadillac," said General Motors President Dan Ammann in a statement. "Looking forward, the world is changing rapidly, and, beginning with the launch of the new XT4, it is paramount that we capitalize immediately on the opportunities that arise from this rate of change. This move will further accelerate our efforts in that regard."

Looks more like a rip off of a Range Rover then Lincoln is! LOL

Maybe in the back, but I don't see much Range Rover in there. Maybe Borg....er....Assimilator will let us borrow his x-ray vision goggles ;)

I will say, I am surprised they kicked him to the curb right as the utilities are about to arrive. Obviously they could've/should've been here sooner, but I mean XT4 just debuted, and XT6 has already been spied - why can him now? There's obviously more to it than just the delay on crossovers (though the inability of Alpha to underpin crossovers is inexcusable....but that's not on JDN).

• Like 1

I will say, I am surprised they kicked him to the curb right as the utilities are about to arrive. Obviously they could've/should've been here sooner, but I mean XT4 just debuted, and XT6 has already been spied - why can him now? There's obviously more to it than just the delay on crossovers (though the inability of Alpha to underpin crossovers is inexcusable....but that's not on JDN).

Just reading between the lines he must not have been willing to invest in Escalade and I don't think the XT6 will be competitive with Aviator either in looks or performance since it's still a transverse FWD platform. I just don't think what he had planned was going to be competitive enough to keep up with Ford on the utility side.

I have a feeling profits played a big role as well. When he pitched a fit about moving to NY the GM comments at the time hinted that they were giving him more control but they were also going to hold him accountable for results. I took it as "Ok fine we'll give you what you want but you have a short leash to make it work." Car sales weren't what he expected and he has no plan for mid and large utilities to keep up with a changing market. And I suspect profits weren't very good either.

It's not a coincidence this is the 3rd major mfr he's left. I'd be shocked if a fourth one gave him a chance.