"Holy Grail" Platform for new Focus

Once the current Focus ends in a few weeks I believe that leaves the E-Series as the only thing left in the Ford lineup with available crank windows.

Actually, you can still get an F-Series with crank windows. We got stuck with a 2017 F-350 DRW 4x4 Crew Cab, XL Trim, Diesel with crank windows but were able to sell it to a customer about 6 months later that wanted just that vehicle for his business.

It never really has been, until the 2015-up variants. Pony cars in general are parts-bin specials...in the Mustang's case, sharing bits from Falcons, Pintos, Fairmonts (for-freakin'-ever), the LS/TBird (DEW98), and even the current car (S-550) is technically a massive evolution of the '05-'14 variants (IIRC).

I guess the next platform'd better be pretty special....

Not really. The 2005 model started as DEW98 but by the time they finished it was 98% bespoke with only the floor pan and fuel tank remaining.

I don’t think the new one will be that much different. In fact I suspect they’re using a lot of S550 design and parts for the CD6 architecture.

• Like 3

If this article is accurate, it looks like Edge ands Nautilus will soon part ways. It describes the CD6 architecture as “unibody rear wheel drive car”. Hopefully we will get several cars from that platform and not just crossovers. It also mentions a new truck/SUV architecture. Wonder if the next F150 (2021?) will be on the new platform.

Well that confirms this is also the architecture for NG Edge...and presumably Fusion if they keep that. This is the first time I've heard this platform referred to as a flexible platform like MQB, they didn't connect those dots previously.

I'm always very dubious about a vehicle architecture engineered for cost being scaled as far as up as Edge which will cost 3X as much as its cheapest platform mate. But, we'll see what happens.

With the added flexibility, I expect that teh architecture can go SWB to LWB but also narrow to wide.

With that. I think the products will:

1) fit under the envelope of one flexible platform and

2) be different enough in size to justify expected price range.

Rider clause,

Most products will be used in ROW and China with Escape and edge being priority in Nth America.

I could see a NG Mondeo rvolved off this platform for China and ROW but maybe something on

RWD CD6 to serve as a large Mid Sized sedan for Nth America?

Edited by jpd80

If this article is accurate, it looks like Edge ands Nautilus will soon part ways. It describes the CD6 architecture as “unibody rear wheel drive car”. Hopefully we will get several cars from that platform and not just crossovers. It also mentions a new truck/SUV architecture. Wonder if the next F150 (2021?) will be on the new platform.

Or will Ranger merge with F150 and Super Duty projects?

Consider the difference in Frames F150 Vs SD, could we see a lighter, narrower frame included below F150 for the Ranger

Could Ranger's cabs stay steel but get aluminum bolt on panels, could Ranger share more of F150's power trains and electrical/HVAC?

Auto Week has a story about the new architecture, and in their words "it has no snappy name, yet". So it's not called "C2" officially.

It's like MQB at VW. "Scalable", so won't just be 'C' size products.

Some will complain about Edge or larger cars using "Focus" design, but it's not 18 years ago.

Edited by 630land

Auto Week has a story about the new architecture, and in their words "it has no snappy name, yet". So it's not called "C2" officially.

It's like MQB at VW. "Scalable", so won't just be 'C' size products.

its alrea been suspected that this will serve as the new platform for the new Fusion

I've been one of those thinking C2+ Fusion for a long time

Auto Week has a story about the new architecture, and in their words "it has no snappy name, yet". So it's not called "C2" officially....

"C2" is not snappy

:-p

Well that confirms this is also the architecture for NG Edge...and presumably Fusion if they keep that. This is the first time I've heard this platform referred to as a flexible platform like MQB, they didn't connect those dots previously.

I'm always very dubious about a vehicle architecture engineered for cost being scaled as far as up as Edge which will cost 3X as much as its cheapest platform mate. But, we'll see what happens.

What makes it like MQB?

Reading through Ford Europe's media release from their media pages (not outside source pages) the all new C2 platform phrase is mentioned a few times. Whether that is considered official or not appears to be ones own deduction. :-)

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/feu/en/news/2018/04/10/ford-unveils-all-new-focus--most-innovative--dynamic-and-excitin.html

• Like 2