Road and Track:Here's What We Think the 2020 Ford Bronco Will Look Like

I doubt it will get a V8, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't fit. The original Explorer was based on the Ranger and it was never engineered with a V8 in mind, but they still managed to fit one in it. The Tempo/Topaz was never engineered with a V6 in mind yet they still managed to fit one in it. The Coyote would fit into a Ranger/Bronco no problem. I mean it might be a little tight and require a few adjustments, but my point is they have fit engines into things that were never engineered for it in the first place.

There has already been at least one swap of a Coyote in a T6. It was done by a shop in either Australia or New Zealand. I posted a video of it on a beach in another thread somewhere. It was also a 4x4 and the engine was supercharged no less. The exhaust headers looked interesting. But I agree, you will never see one from the factory.

• Like 1

The T6 can only support inline drivetrains, no V6s for now. Ford has no plans for a Ranger Raptor in the US at the moment.

Ranger and T6 is something of a pre OneFord relic, Dearborn had very little say in the powerpack design which limits what they can do now which may not be a big deal with the 2.3L and 10-Speeds.

I'm not sure if they will revamp T6 for Bronco and V6 drivetrains but it's a little strange they wouldn't have made those accommodations with the frame/platform adjustments they made for steel bumpers in the US. The Bronco program might fund what they need but they could also try to convince people to go Diesel with EcoBlue. In the interest of F-Series, it's probably best to keep Ranger as a distinctly different truck and not an overlap. Bronco is probably a little different, it's a much more important vehicle than Ranger and has to offer a competitive advantage over the Wrangler.

Edited by Assimilator

I personally think the Ranger raptor WILL be coming, and it will be right when the Bronco arrives...guess is based on the fact the Bronco and Ranger will be being built on different underpinnings than the current ranger...2020 is the newer upgrade IIRC....

I personally think the Ranger raptor WILL be coming, and it will be right when the Bronco arrives...guess is based on the fact the Bronco and Ranger will be being built on different underpinnings than the current ranger...2020 is the newer upgrade IIRC....

Got to see a Ranger over the weekend - it looks good!

akirby...isnt there a brand new Ranger model and underpinnings coming in 2020?...that was my understanding, and the Bronco is going to be on THAT new chassis along with basically an upgraded revamped Ranger....could be wrong, but its what I remember hearing...

akirby...isnt there a brand new Ranger model and underpinnings coming in 2020?...that was my understanding, and the Bronco is going to be on THAT new chassis along with basically an upgraded revamped Ranger....could be wrong, but its what I remember hearing...

Ranger will only be 3 short model years, (MY2018) Fall 2018 - Spring 2019, (MY2019) Spring 2019 - Fall 2019, (MY2020) Fall 2019 - Summer 2020. New Ranger starts in Summer 2020.

• Like 1

I thought Bronco was coming before the new platform, but maybe you're right. In that case there is no reason that it CAN'T have a v8 if Ford wants to do it.

That originally was the plan, but I guess they figured they were better off putting it on the new platform. It probably saves them money and better aligns it with the life cycle of the Ranger in the long run. Edited by fuzzymoomoo

That originally was the plan, but I guess they figured they were better off putting it on the new platform. It probably saves them money and better aligns it with the life cycle of the Ranger in the long run.

Oh it definitely makes sense, I just didn't put the two timelines together.

which ALSO means most likely a range of drivetrains for the Ranger, NOT just the 2.3, which in my opinion was/ is a stopgap which will be joined by.......( let the speculation start, Diesel, 3.3 6cyl? 2.7 eco....Akirbys V8?....)

• Like 1

Some things don't quite make sense on the rumored time table for a NG Ranger. Why spend money modifying the global Ranger for steel bumpers if an all-new vehicle is arriving in 3 years, they could have gotten by with fascias like the rest of the industry. It's a little uncharacteristic of Ford to not align major factory and product investments at the same time. You don't gut a factory to build a vehicle that will be replaced shortly, they'll have to spend that money again. But I imagine it's just the circumstances with this particular product which is sitting outside of the OneFord strategy for now.

Edited by Assimilator

Why spend money modifying the global Ranger for steel bumpers if an all-new vehicle is arriving in 3 years, they could have gotten by with fascias like the rest of the industry.

Uh because the rest of the world doesn't have the same impact requirements as the US? Its not like designing bumpers is a major expense anyways. Any why push off the Ranger till 2021 when it should have launched in 2016 or so? Rhetorically

which ALSO means most likely a range of drivetrains for the Ranger, NOT just the 2.3, which in my opinion was/ is a stopgap which will be joined by.......( let the speculation start, Diesel, 3.3 6cyl? 2.7 eco....Akirbys V8?....)

I don't see a need for a V8 for Ranger. Bronco would be more for heritage/nostalgia purposes than absolute performance.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...