Wondering if Ford would ever do a Lighting Ranger

Just wondering if Ford would come out with a Lighting version of the Ranger, not for off roading, just AWD the 3.5 EcoBoost,pushed to maybe 400HP, 10 sp auto, etc.

Just to give GM something to worry over.

Just saw an F150 Lighting in the past few weeks and man, that was a nice looking truck.

I know, Ford is trying to play catch-up, but just wondering,

• Like 2

I think if they did one it would probably be the 3.0L. But honestly if they wanted to do another lightning they could have done it with a RCSB F150 with the Raptor 3.5L.

For sure. They sorta did that with the Tremor a few years ago with the 3.5EB. I don't think they sold many because it's just an impractical offering for most buyers, despite what some members believe.

If Ford offered a crew cab Lightning, my dad would've gotten that over the Raptor hands down. He wants the performance (he's put supercharger on his last two trucks, and put a tune on his Raptor), but honestly has no need for the offroad ability (south Florida is completely flat haha), but that's all Ford offers for performance.

• Like 1

For sure. They sorta did that with the Tremor a few years ago with the 3.5EB. I don't think they sold many because it's just an impractical offering for most buyers, despite what some members believe.

From what I've heard from guys who bought one, its performance in stock form was disappointing. I'm not sure why that was, and it's a small sample size, but it's a uniform opinion.

I was just reading up on the tremor. 0-60 in 6.0 seconds. So yeah, nothing too awe-inspiring there. But they weighed in at 5200 lbs or something rediculous, and that as a RCSB 2wd. Just goes to show how overweight that generation of truck was. I bet with a tune and more boost they get pretty lively though.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

Ford has historically had a hard time selling sport-trucks, I don't think there are enough of those customers around. Raptor is actually the first performance formula that has actually really worked for them so fast off-road performance seems to be key to balancing the realities that a Sport-only truck is missing a few too many key capabilities (while not actually being fast or Sporty).

Right now it doesn't look like Ranger Raptor is happening for the US, probably because the T6 Ranger has never been fitted with a V6 and diesels don't seem likely just yet for Ford US.

Edited by Assimilator

Right now it doesn't look like Ranger Raptor is happening for the US, probably because the T6 Ranger has never been fitted with a V6 and diesels don't seem likely just yet for Ford US.

Right now, most of the Ranger trims aren't happening, but that doesn't mean that they won't be doing it. We already know that the NA Ranger uses a modified frame, and it seems highly unlikely that they would modify the frame but not make provisions for a V6.

At first I'm like "Hmm isn't that what Ranger Raptor would be?" but yes, I get the part of not being off-road, being more "Street Tuned", I can see that as maybe a 2-3rd year offering if sales are brisk at higher transaction prices. Maybe a 2.7L EB V6 with some 350HP to start with....

Ford has historically had a hard time selling sport-trucks, I don't think there are enough of those customers around. Raptor is actually the first performance formula that has actually really worked for them so fast off-road performance seems to be key to balancing the realities that a Sport-only truck is missing a few too many key capabilities (while not actually being fast or Sporty).

We know we’ll have a 1.5, 2.0 and 3.0 diesel in North America. I’d be shocked if at least one of those don’t show up in the Ranger.

• Like 1

If Ford offered a crew cab Lightning, my dad would've gotten that over the Raptor hands down. He wants the performance (he's put supercharger on his last two trucks, and put a tune on his Raptor), but honestly has no need for the offroad ability (south Florida is completely flat haha), but that's all Ford offers for performance.

I looked at the Tremor. Wasn't quicker than my 13 RCSB 5.0, (they are quite a bit heavier) So I passed. Nice interior and a few extra bits was not worth $15K more.

I looked at the Tremor. Wasn't quicker than my 13 RCSB 5.0, (they are quite a bit heavier) So I passed. Nice interior and a few extra bits was not worth $15K more.

How can they be quite a bit heavier? Tremors were also RCSB and the 3.5EB should have been faster than the 5.0.

How can they be quite a bit heavier? Tremors were also RCSB and the 3.5EB should have been faster than the 5.0.

The Tremor was a higher trim level than our STXes, which means they weigh more from the get-go (more options, carpeted flooring, etc), plus I'm pretty sure the EB35 weighs more than the Coyote. (It has been a few months since I looked, but my recollection is that it's not by much, but the EB35 is heavier.)

I don't think the problem was that they weren't faster than a Coyote--they just weren't faster enough.

Edited by SoonerLS

Also, from what I've been reading, the EB35 (at least in that generation) starts running out of steam about the time the Coyote goes on-cam. The EB has a good low end, but the Coyote doesn't really come alive 'til it's above 3K RPM, then it pulls hard to the redline. (That's one of the characteristics that keeps it out of the SuperDuty lineup.)

Edited by SoonerLS

I had a Tremor and it was a very nice truck. The big difference from a Lightning is it was more just looks and no performance or handling upgrades. I also had a 93 Lightning. That was a blast to drive. I kept that for 10 trouble free years and traded it for an 03 Supercrew when the transmission was starting to go out.

I can live without a Ranger Lightning but can imagine maybe Chip Foose doing a version. I'd rather see Ford do the Ranger Raptor as the Raptor name has developed its own cache.

Ugh, no

I would rather Roush or Saleen do it. Chip Foose is the most overrated customizer in the industry.

One unique thing it had was a flow through console which put nice A/C to the back of the cab.

Also, from what I've been reading, the EB35 (at least in that generation) starts running out of steam about the time the Coyote goes on-cam. The EB has a good low end, but the Coyote doesn't really come alive 'til it's above 3K RPM, then it pulls hard to the redline. (That's one of the characteristics that keeps it out of the SuperDuty lineup.)

As a longtime ecoboost owner (2.0 in Fusion and Escape and now the 3.5 in the F150) I can attest to that. The turbos spool up faster but can’t keep up at higher RPM. You get great launch but they do run out of steam past 3500 rpm.

That should still make the 3.5 faster although I guess the older 3.5ebs weren’t as good as the newer ones.

And I wasn’t thinking a few options would make that much of a weight difference.

Ugh, no

I would rather Roush or Saleen do it. Chip Foose is the most overrated customizer in the industry.

I understand what you're saying about Chip Foose but his work is mostly cosmetic and he did an F-150 a few years ago that Dealers could order through Ford. I'm thinking that it was a Lightning version which is why I mentioned him. What killed it for our dealership was that the option/conversion fee was $10,000+ and it was only available as a 4x2! Like you, I could see Roush doing a version. As for Saleen... Are they still around after the bankruptcy and then the court battle over the name?

Edited by ice-capades