End of the road for Taurus and Fiesta

Before crossovers the same thing was true of the overwhelming majority of cars and minivans and even SUVs. We owned a 93 and 97 Explorer, a 99 Expedition and a 2003 Aviator before moving to an Edge in 2008. There was nothing we ever did in any of those "true SUVs" that we couldn't do just as well if not better in the Edge. A crossover gave a better ride and fuel economy than SUVs while maintaining the high seating position and cargo capacity. Nothing has changed about the way people drive.

Sorry but I beg to differ, people suck way worse now than even 10 years ago. They are on medication or their phone and don't give any though to how their actions effect other drivers. They clog up the fast lane, drive right next to other drivers so no can pass. Run red lights. pull right out in front of you, don't move to the shoulder or center line when turning. I know that these things have always gone on but it is so much worse now. Driving has become so frustrating that it effects my whole day in a negative way. So sad.

• Like 2

The crossovers today are much faster and more nimble than the sedans I drove 10+ years ago, there really has been zero compromise and tons of benefits. People drive faster and more aggressive than ever on Highways, I know I'm one of them. The people complaining about Crossovers are never the people who actually own them.

Edited by Assimilator

Sorry but I beg to differ, people suck way worse now than even 10 years ago. They are on medication or their phone and don't give any though to how their actions effect other drivers. They clog up the fast lane, drive right next to other drivers so no can pass. Run red lights. pull right out in front of you, don't move to the shoulder or center line when turning. I know that these things have always gone on but it is so much worse now. Driving has become so frustrating that it effects my whole day in a negative way. So sad.

I agree 100%. There is a lot of blame to go around. In my opinion, the smart phone being the biggest distraction ever invented. Followed by not understanding how your car works and the physics behind it (see also marketing for AWD). I still see people tap their brakes on their car when their car has ABS. SMH

But yet it seems like its rocket science for the police to go from a RWD to FWD then back to RWD or AWD....hmmmm

99% of the police will never be involved in a high speed chase either.

Ok..i get your take on part 1...latter half statement is a real head scratcher....

• Like 1

I agree that today’s crossovers are fine vehicles but I would much prefer driving my 2010 Fusion to my 2015 Edge. The Edge feels ponderous compared to the Fusion and there’s no denying that crossover fuel efficiency is less than similar sized sedans. My 2.0 Edge average about 24 MPG while the 2.5 Fusion is about 30 MPG.

• Like 2

The crossovers today are much faster and more nimble than the sedans I drove 10+ years ago, there really has been zero compromise and tons of benefits. People drive faster and more aggressive than ever on Highways, I know I'm one of them. The people complaining about Crossovers are never the people who actually own them.

I agree that today’s crossovers are fine vehicles but I would much prefer driving my 2010 Fusion to my 2015 Edge. The Edge feels ponderous compared to the Fusion and there’s no denying that crossover fuel efficiency is less than similar sized sedans. My 2.0 Edge average about 24 MPG while the 2.5 Fusion is about 30 MPG.

The people who think crossovers are wonderfully free of compromises are never the people who actually drive both a crossover and a regular sedan, hatchback, or wagon of similar vintage and size.

Thank you Trader 10 sir for sharing your experience with your Ford Fusion and Edge vehicles.

Just swap the destination from the two plants. China production goes to Europe and Europe production comes to US. I'm sure it's not that easy, but possible.

but Fomoco LIKES China and Yurpland - at least acts like it

The people who think crossovers are wonderfully free of compromises are never the people who actually drive both a crossover and a regular sedan, hatchback, or wagon of similar vintage and size.

I beg to differ. I’ve owned a Fusion and Edge at the same time, a newer Fusion and MkX and also a Focus and an Escape at the same time.

While the cars do handle a little better there is very little difference otherwise in normal everyday driving.

As for fuel economy, when I traded my Fusion a couple of months ago (2.0T Titanium) I was getting 21 mpg. Our MKX with the 3.7L gets - wait for it - 21 mpg. And guess what my new F150 with the 3.5LEB 470 lb/ft of torque gets? 21 mpg.

The compromise is in the cars’ cargo capacity and lower seating position which makes it more difficult to ingress and egress - at least for us older folks.

Once again someone who doesn’t own a crossover is bashing crossovers.

• Like 2

The compromise is in the cars cargo capacity and lower seating position which makes it more difficult to ingress and egress - at least for us older folks.

Im almost 29, its really hard for me to get out of the back seat of my Focus after strapping the little one into the car seat. The door opening is just so small.

The wife is looking to replace the Fusion with either an Escape or an Ecosport.

There are several reasons for this. 1) No substantial changes to the Fusion since 2013. 2) Her mother (80 yrs old) has a difficult time getting in and out of the Fusion because of the low seating position. 3) When she parks; she can't see past all the CUV's, trucks, and vans when backing out.

I, for one, hate the idea of buying a CUV. HATE the idea. But I do understand her reasoning...besides; Mama gets what Mama wants.

• Like 2

Both vehicles have their merits. Personally I prefer a car as my "normal" driving priorities are enjoying how a vehicle drives be it to go bet a bag of groceries or a nice winding country black top.

The high rider is great because it makes my wife happy.

Choice is the deal.

Both vehicles have their merits. Personally I prefer a car as my "normal" driving priorities are enjoying how a vehicle drives be it to go get a bag of groceries or a nice winding country black top.

The high rider is great because it makes my wife happy.

Choice is the deal.

post-25487-0-23024100-1523018603_thumb.jpg

Edited by MKII
  • Like 1

Im almost 29, its really hard for me to get out of the back seat of my Focus after strapping the little one into the car seat. The door opening is just so small.

At the risk of being labled a member of the panther mafia, the fix for your cramped back seat problem is to buy a crown vic! Or better yet a town car since those are 3" longer in the back seat. Seriously, by far the most car for the money at this point. There's a glut of nice ones still on the market and no one wants them. The 2v 4.6 is reliable as gravity, mpg is great for what it is (18+ around town, easy 25-26 on highway trips), they drive nice, comfortable, huge trunk.... What's not to like?

Yeah people here will rag on you for buying used, but you have to do what makes sense for your budget and family. The panthers are just an incredible deal for a young family at this point.

• Like 2

I really dont like the idea that a crossover is free of compromises. Every class of vehicle has compromises when you compare them, crossovers just generally have the fewest.

For those of us that long for more wagon choices (and will deeply mourn the Flex's passing; I love mine), having most of the utility without the extra foot of bodywork/weight along with the higher center of gravity is the payoff.

Oh, and the Focus ST wagon available overseas makes the C-Max look like a mud fence.

• Like 1

At the risk of being labled a member of the panther mafia, the fix for your cramped back seat problem is to buy a crown vic! Or better yet a town car since those are 3" longer in the back seat. Seriously, by far the most car for the money at this point. There's a glut of nice ones still on the market and no one wants them. The 2v 4.6 is reliable as gravity, mpg is great for what it is (18+ around town, easy 25-26 on highway trips), they drive nice, comfortable, huge trunk.... What's not to like?

Yeah people here will rag on you for buying used, but you have to do what makes sense for your budget and family. The panthers are just an incredible deal for a young family at this point.

Or a Fusion solves the problem too. Ive honestly never really liked the Crown Vic or any of its siblings.

Or a Fusion solves the problem too. Ive honestly never really liked the Crown Vic or any of its siblings.

But a crown vic solves it more lol. To each their own though - styling is subjective. The big thing with the panthers is they're just an absolutely dirt cheap bargain for what you get nowadays.

• Like 1

But a crown vic solves it more lol. To each their own though - styling is subjective. The big thing with the panthers is they're just an absolutely dirt cheap bargain for what you get nowadays.

And are ancient without any modern amenities. There's a reason they aren't made anymore.

And are ancient without any modern amenities. There's a reason they aren't made anymore.

I'm not sure what exactly you're referring to by "modern amenities", but they were updated right up until the end in 2011 such that they have pretty much everything every other Ford/Lincoln from those same years had. Yes it's missing a means to connect your phone to the info/entertainment system but that's easily solved with a drop-in $200 pioneer head unit. No they don't have EPAS or stop/start, etc, but I would catagorize that stuff as "modern annoyances" rather than "modern amenities". As for safety, the later ones had the full array of side curtain airbags, back-up assist, roll stability control, etc.

Like I said, the main thing it's missing is phone connectivity, which is easily remedied with an aftermarket part.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv
  • Like 1

Not just amenities. They were cancelled for a lot of reasons not to mention the cost of trying to make them compliant with all the emission and safety requirements that have been implemented since production of the Crown Victoria's ended. They were a great vehicle in their time and there was nothing like a Crown Victoria Country Squire Wagon!

• Like 2