End of the road for Taurus and Fiesta

Whats all this talk about the Maverick? What did I miss and please point me in the right direction for this Maverick info. Thanks in advance!

BORG Assimilator seems to think thats what the Baby Bronco is going to be called based on something an insider source told him. I guess were just rolling with it for now since nobody seems to have a problem with it or evidence saying otherwise.
  • Like 1

Did I miss an article somewhere? Where does it say that China will be adding 25% to a Chinese made Focus to be shipped here? Or the US putting a tariff on Chinese cars?

If that's the case, the Buick Envision is doomed as well.

US cars will be going to 50% imported to China, and 25% for the ones they send here. Navigator, Continental and MKC would be impacted. MKC is the best selling Lincoln in China. If this is signed Focus will end up coming from Europe in the short term where there is only a 2.5%. Put the next gen Fusion/mondeo in oakville with world wide exports from there and do Focus and utility in Mexico. That or they just scrap cars all together in the US market other than the Mustang. There is no upside to this.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-03/tariffs-seek-to-end-chinese-car-imports-before-they-really-start

• Like 1

Could Ford just simply import Focus and Mondeo from Europe and call it job done?

Not their preferred choice for sure but that would free up a ton of manufacturing space for more Utilities and trucks.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Could Ford just simply import Focus and Mondeo from Europe and call it job done?

Not their preferred choice for sure but that would free up a ton of manufacturing space for more Utilities and trucks.

I dont think they have enough available capacity in Europe to pull that off.

I dont think they have enough available capacity in Europe to pull that off.

Focus is made in the Valencia mega plant where they build up to six other models,

I know this could all be political bluster but maybe Ford has a drop dead commit date where they need to know...

Thats exhibit A. The fact that they didnt change that in the 2015 refresh says volumes.

Yeah, that was a ridiculous move. It'd have been one thing if they didn't have something available and the Euro and US ones were both stuck with the DCT, but Europe getting a new tranny and us not is/was pathetic.

I wonder if this China situation would make reviving that Mexican plant that was abandoned a viable solution?

I still think they should've finished it.......how long have we been talking about Ford being capacity constrained basically across the board/lineup? That tight capacity was ok when the market was down, but they're spinning their wheels it seems with a healthier market/aren't able to take advantage of it.

Whats all this talk about the Maverick? What did I miss and please point me in the right direction for this Maverick info. Thanks in advance!

As fuzzy said, Maverick is the name we've temporarily given the baby Bronco.

• Like 1

No capacity and they are different configurations. The US and Chinese Focus are unique to the European Focus in a number of ways, sedans being one of them.

Here's the brutal truth about the CUV market:

for many drivers, most of whom aren't actual car enthusiasts, the availability of CUVs that offer better visibility and more interior space than comparably-equipped sedans has led to a logical embrace of the upright blobs that are dominating sales. I don't specifically blame them, because they're just looking for a wheeled conveyance that fits their lives rather than wanting the vehicle to be a real part of their lives.

Big coupes are a pain to park, nowadays. Hell, even with the F-series into its 4th decade of sales dominance, too many parking lots seem to be painting their spaces assuming that everyone is switching to Minis, Fiestas, and Fits.

Performance cars and "real" trucks/SUVs demand a certain level of involvement, and the typical Escape/Edge/Highlander/CR-V buyers aren't wired that way...any more than the Camry addicts were.

• Like 2

for many drivers, most of whom aren't actual car enthusiasts, the availability of CUVs that offer better visibility and more interior space than comparably-equipped sedans has led to a logical embrace of the upright blobs that are dominating sales. I don't specifically blame them, because they're just looking for a wheeled conveyance that fits their lives rather than wanting the vehicle to be a real part of their lives.

Big coupes are a pain to park, nowadays. Hell, even with the F-series into its 4th decade of sales dominance, too many parking lots seem to be painting their spaces assuming that everyone is switching to Minis, Fiestas, and Fits.

Performance cars and "real" trucks/SUVs demand a certain level of involvement, and the typical Escape/Edge/Highlander/CR-V buyers aren't wired that way...any more than the Camry addicts were.

This is nothing new. Does anyone believe that people buying a Chevrolet Impala or Ford Galaxie in the 1960s were demanding much in the way of "involvement" when driving their vehicles?

Most people were buying their cars with mild-mannered V-8s, power steering and automatic transmission. All of those Super Sports, 7-Litres, etc., that pop up at today's auto shows were the exception, not the rule.

• Like 1

The only real “involvement” required is if you’re driving on a track or rock crawling. Driving on the street is pretty much the same whether it’s a Mustang, Edge, Expedition or Super Duty.

• Like 1

The only real “involvement” required is if you’re driving on a track or rock crawling. Driving on the street is pretty much the same whether it’s a Mustang, Edge, Expedition or Super Duty.

If you're driving a Super Duty (or Expedition), the "involvement" comes in trying to find a parking spot to fit it... :)

• Like 1

But yet it seems like its rocket science for the police to go from a RWD to FWD then back to RWD or AWD....hmmmm

99% of the police will never be involved in a high speed chase either.

Before crossovers the same thing was true of the overwhelming majority of cars and minivans and even SUVs. We owned a 93 and 97 Explorer, a 99 Expedition and a 2003 Aviator before moving to an Edge in 2008. There was nothing we ever did in any of those "true SUVs" that we couldn't do just as well if not better in the Edge. A crossover gave a better ride and fuel economy than SUVs while maintaining the high seating position and cargo capacity. Nothing has changed about the way people drive.