End of the road for Taurus and Fiesta

Over at Jalopnik, The Chevy Sonic, Impala, Ford Fiesta And Taurus May All Die In Crossover Deluge: Report

To us this seems incredibly shortsighted. The crossover boom has been driven in large part by a healthy economy and cheap gas prices. But that seemingly healthy economy is threatened by a looming trade war with China that has already sent stock markets plummeting and a presidential administration that today expressed the desire to keep most people poor. Gas prices, as well, can be extremely volatile and the global market is highly dependent on Middle East stability, which is fine, except the Middle East isn’t very, you know, stable

in an email to us a Ford spokesperson stressed that the company isn’t killing off cars entirely: "As we have said, by 2020 trucks and utilities – including their electrified versions — are going to be almost 90 percent of our volume. Passenger cars, including Fiesta and Taurus, remain an important part of our lineup."

I saw this handwriting on the wall and will I repeat what I said a week ago or so. Ford needs to be more "nimble" and QUICKLY change to building vehicles that the consumer wants TODAY !

I'm sure quite a few things are in limbo right now with their small cars. The trade war has doomed the Chinese Focus unless that situation changes quickly or they find a spot for it in NAFTA (another unknown). Ultimately the political conditions may have made the Focus unsustainable so they have no options. I don't think Ford wants to get rid of Fiesta until it has the new Maverick in place which is suppose to go into the Mexico factory.

Taurus is certainly doomed as are Flex and MKT once NG Explorer arrives and essentially orphans all of their shared components.

Ford is loosing quite a few models but it's also picking up Ranger, Bronco, EcoSport, Maverick, and Mach 1 which should make people forget about those things. I'm sure they would prefer to get some of these newer volume products online before dropping the bigger sellers so they have some other customers coming in while others are leaving.

If Ford looses Focus that might make Fusion a priority again.

Edited by Assimilator

It's comical watching Ford make plans and then change them 12 months later..

I bet they are now working out what the heck they can do about Focus with that 25% tariff..

It's like Ford went super cheap saving money and forgot all about the "what ifs" or didn't care.

They must be running around furiously trying to work out how to make everything fit,

I wonder if Focus at Hermosillo is even possible now with the last change of plans,

Ford probably has both of its Mexican plants fully reserved for other products by now...

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

It's comical watching Ford make plans and then change them 12 months later..

That is what happens when you can the old CEO and bring in a new one to make a "major course correction". (Alan Mulally was hired to keep the ship from sinking !)

Hopefully any new designs will NOT be "optimized" for ROW so that if the economy turns, they can at least be imported without MAJOR redesign work (like the Mondeo/Fusion, Transit Connect, Transit and Ranger) !

• Like 1

wake me when gas prices break $3.50 a gallon again.

They already are on the West Coast.

Michigan will be over $3.00 and will probably hit $3.50 at the expensive stations as soon as summer blend hits.

https://www.gasbuddy.com/GasPriceMap?z=4

Well the one station is already over 3.50 by the airport ($3.59) I don't know how that is actually not classified as price gouging but it isn't.

Edited by jasonj80

Gas is currently $2.459/gal here in rural IL. It's been right around $2.50/gal for the last couple years now it seems. If you ask me the gas/oil market has settled into a calm balance of supply/demand.

I also just back from a road trip to FL and the cheapest I paid was $2.259/gal in TN, I think it was. So no pending crisis that I can see....

Shame about the Taurus. Have a 2010 SHO and love it. It's been drop dead reliable for all of it's 124k and Ford really should have kept it competitive. It's a great highway cruiser with plenty of comfort and power and even gets decent MPG for a land yacht.

• Like 2

Shame about the Taurus. Have a 2010 SHO and love it. It's been drop dead reliable for all of it's 124k and Ford really should have kept it competitive. It's a great highway cruiser with plenty of comfort and power and even gets decent MPG for a land yacht.

Me too! -2010 pushing 97,000. I look at the constant Camry ads and scratch my head.

• Like 1