DCT vs Slushbox

Just the Fiesta and Focus I believe. In Europe, they changed the Focus over to the slushbox on most if not all models. But we got stuck with the DCT here. That and Europe got the 1.5 EB also.

Some Euro diesels still have DCTs but they're the wet clutch variety not the dry clutch version we have here in Focus and Fiesta.

The fact that they still have it in the Focus is ridiculous. Getting rid of it should have been a priority.

Once in gear lock up was perfected on autos the advantages of DCT

Became far less noticeable plus the shift quality is more inkeeping

with US buyer expectations

New 2.0 diesel in Euro Edge is getting the 8-speed auto. So maybe

that signals the switch away from DCT Powershift

Edited by jpd80

Once in gear lock up was perfected on autos the advantages of DCT

Became far less noticeable plus the shift quality is more inkeeping

with US buyer expectations

New 2.0 diesel in Euro Edge is getting the 8-speed auto. So maybe

that signals the switch away from DCT Powershift

I have a friend who works in Livonia, they're gearing up to start building the 8F for the next gen Focus

• Like 2

So that means Fords JV with Getrag may be at an end,

I cant see Ford needing those wet clutch DCTs anymore

Were starting to see the delineation point for 8F at the 2.7 EB

And I suspect that in vehicles like Edge that may be short term

as in maybe a few years the HP EB V6 FWD/ AWD are not being

shared outside North America

Edited by jpd80

To me what is so shocking is what a disaster Ford's attempt at CVT and DCT have been ! I heard some where that the US built CVT cost Ford for over $1B to develop and tool. Plus the licensing cost was killing them on the piece cost.

One big strike against the DCT (according to engineers I spoke with just before it went into production) was it was NEVER intended to go in a C-class vehicle. Strictly B-class with about a 1.5 naturally aspired engine.

To me what is so shocking is what a disaster Ford's attempt at CVT and DCT have been ! I heard some where that the US built CVT cost Ford for over $1B to develop and tool. Plus the licensing cost was killing them on the piece cost.

Which CVT? The only CVT I remember Ford using was in the AWD Five Hundred and Freestyle.

One big strike against the DCT (according to engineers I spoke with just before it went into production) was it was NEVER intended to go in a C-class vehicle. Strictly B-class with about a 1.5 naturally aspired engine.

Even the dry clutch Fiesta units proved problematic, it's just a poor design that holds its own dust from linings,

they run hot and eventually fails the control module attached to it.

Should have always been a 6F auto or a lightweight version of the wet clutch DCT in the diesel, those are practically bullet proof.

The 6F50/55 is bulletproof. 6F35 not so much. But it would have been less annoying/breakdown prone than a DPoS6, for sure. I guess we will see with the 6F15.

Yes, the non hybrid CVT had a near billion dollar price tag. Its BIGGEST flaw was it wasn't properly scalable. The current 6F and the outgoing 6R families are essentially scaled up and down versions of the same trans. The CVT was designed for the NON-PIP 3.0 Duratec.

Edited by YT90SC
  • Like 1

Even the dry clutch Fiesta units proved problematic, it's just a poor design that holds its own dust from linings,

they run hot and eventually fails the control module attached to it.

How is that any different than any other stick? The clutch and bellhousing seem to share more with, say a 6 speed than anything else. And 6 speeds don't have vents for lining debris.

How is that any different than any other stick? The clutch and bellhousing seem to share more with, say a 6 speed than anything else. And 6 speeds don't have vents for lining debris.

They are very different animals.

The clutch debris gets trapped inside the clutch housing and Causes havoc

With juddering. The whole gearbox case runs so hot it eventually fails the

Trans control module attached to the case. All Ford has managed to do

with TSBs and reflashes is to delay the inevitable.

Fuzzy, I hope they fixed some issues with the 6F35 in the 6F15. Most of the 35's that fail, have issues later on and the stem from 3 main areas. 1. Solenoid pressure control valve in the valve body. 2. Programming creating too much torque converter clutch material debris and wear. 3. Clutch tower- which may or may not be from #2.

Some will argue that the center support is a high failure rate item. It was, but isn't as much now. And pumps get replaced a lot due to the TCC valve hanging up, but again, that's all on #2.

Edited by YT90SC

Fuzzy, I hope they fixed some issues with the 6F35 in the 6F15. Most of the 35's that fail, have issues later on and the stem from 3 main areas. 1. Solenoid pressure control valve in the valve body. 2. Programming creating too much torque converter clutch material debris and wear. 3. Clutch tower- which may or may not be from #2.

Some will argue that the center support is a high failure rate item. It was, but isn't as much now. And pumps get replaced a lot due to the TCC valve hanging up, but again, that's all on #2.

Jury is still out for sure, but in that short time Ive heard of zero issues with it so far.

Perhaps someone like fordtech1 could chime in on the subject?

DCT is inherently more complex design (it has two fringging clutches!) so it costs more to design and build. Ford's decision to use it in economy cars means it was cost engineered to meet certain cost targets... and when you do that, reliability, durability, or usability tend to be sacrificed. This is exactly what we saw with Fiesta and Focus DCTs.

VW also used a lot of DCTs in its cars but mostly for performance models (like GTI instead of regular Golf). They also suffered some durability issues but at least in performance oriented models, the smoothness of operation was not as big of a concern to owners... they are a lot more forgiving for strong down shifts.