2019 Fusion Refreshed

If Ford isn't touting the new engines and transmissions like it just did with the Edge and Transit Connect revisions, it's safe to assume those items have not been upgraded yet for 2019. But that sure doesn't make any sense unless they are still rolling out suffecient volume. Ford can take years to transition their engines and transmissions even if the car sitting right next to them had shared the same last-gen drivetrains (1.5 vs 1.6L Ecoboost in Fusion and Escape or 2.0L Twin Scroll vs Single Scroll between Escape and Edge). Eventually they all fall in sync, although it took awhile for the Escape to ditch the 1.6L for the 1.5L EB while the Fusion got it. Some of that is just the expense of the certification process, for the most part the engines just drop in.

Edited by Assimilator

My 2 cents - if its all about simplification and cost cutting, dropping the 1.5 would be a good move - it makes similar power compared to the 2.5 which you know is a lot cheaper to produce than the turbo. Make the 2.5 the engine for the S and SE models with the 2.0 used for SEL and Titanium.

My 2 cents - if its all about simplification and cost cutting, dropping the 1.5 would be a good move - it makes similar power compared to the 2.5 which you know is a lot cheaper to produce than the turbo. Make the 2.5 the engine for the S and SE models with the 2.0 used for SEL and Titanium.

The 1.5L eco boost is used in the Escape and other products and I’d assume the 2.5L is getting slowly phased out.

It’s not like people buy a mid sized sedan for power and you can upgrade to the Sport if you need that power.

The 1.5 is a more than capable engine. Ive driven one a few times and it always surprises me.

How is turbo lag with 1.5 liter Ecoboost Fusion? The 2.0 liter Ecoboost Fusion rental car I drove a couple years ago was very laggy and uneven with power delivery. The Fusion Hybrids I drove were much smoother and more responsive even though they were less powerful than the 2.0. Never drove 2.5 liter or 1.5 liter Fusions.

How is turbo lag with 1.5 liter Ecoboost Fusion? The 2.0 liter Ecoboost Fusion rental car I drove a couple years ago was very laggy and uneven with power delivery. The Fusion Hybrids I drove were much smoother and more responsive even though they were less powerful than the 2.0. Never drove 2.5 liter or 1.5 liter Fusions.

Ive driven 2 Escapes with the 1.5 and noticed zero turbo lag, even when using the shift paddles to force it to accelerate 55-75 in 6th gear.

My dad has a 2014 Fusion with the 1.6 (3 pedals FTW!) that Ive driven on several occasions and I never noticed it there, but whenever I drive that car Im almost always thrown off by the clutch in that car. It feels completely different than either of my Focuses

Yes sir. Ford was smart to make Co-Pilot 360 features standard on all 2019 Fusion models, similar to what Toyota and Honda did with 2018 Camry and 2018 Accord. The battery upgrade for PHEV Fusion makes it more competitive with Prius Prime too.

2019-ford-fusion-energi_100646735_l.jpg

Yes sir. Ford was smart to make Co-Pilot 360 features standard on all 2019 Fusion models, similar to what Toyota and Honda did with 2018 Camry and 2018 Accord. The battery upgrade for PHEV Fusion makes it more competitive with Prius Prime too.

2019-ford-fusion-energi_100646735_l.jpg

It could also signal that this Fusion product cycle is drawing to a close

and that this car is now a place holder for a much better replacement

The car you drove must have had some issues.

Our 2013 Fusion has no turbo lag....none. Power delivery is smooth and constant. I've actually had to pop the hood to prove to some lesser educated that my wife's car doesn't have a V8 because of the low rpm response. These family members own Asian midsize V6 sedans.

I hope so, but now that I think about it if that were the case we should have seen it driving around under camo by now....

Cuautitlán needs to get repurposed before Hermosillo, no?

...meaning that the Fusion factory can keep going for now / have we heard an 'end-of' date yet?

It's kind of strange to get such a minor refresh on the heels of the prior very minor refresh. What does it mean? 1) They are going to give minor refreshes every couple of years and let it die eventually or 2) This is to try to get a little more mileage out of this generation until the replacement in '21 or '22. If it is two I would say a stretched Focus on C3 is more likely than CD6.

It's kind of strange to get such a minor refresh on the heels of the prior very minor refresh. What does it mean? 1) They are going to give minor refreshes every couple of years and let it die eventually or 2) This is to try to get a little more mileage out of this generation until the replacement in '21 or '22. If it is two I would say a stretched Focus on C3 is more likely than CD6.

As I see it, the refresh does two thinks for Ford, it freshens the car at little cost and more importantly reduces ordering complexity

while adding more standard equipment to the range. That simpler build strategy means that Ford can more easily down balance

production while building the right vehicle sales mix that buyers want.

It's definitly a get through until the delayed replacement is ready to launch.

Now that Ive seen them side by side like that the only thing I like about the new one is they got rid of that ugly chrome bar across the deck lid

Sorry Im late to the party on this old thread. But I agree with you on that chrome strip. I really disliked it when they added that. I also wanted to say the mesh grill actually gives the car the appearance the front end actually changed. When I first saw the pic of the blue Fusion I thought they had done a more thorough overhaul. I think they should have made that the standard grill.

Overall, Im surprised they are actually sinking some money into the Fusion as it was looking like they were just going to let it die. However Im still perplexed why they arent throwing the 8speed in there to improve performance. That makes no sense.

Overall, Im surprised they are actually sinking some money into the Fusion as it was looking like they were just going to let it die. However Im still perplexed why they arent throwing the 8speed in there to improve performance. That makes no sense.

Since CUV/SUV's are what's selling, it's most likely we'll see the 8 speed in those first. Then trickle down to the car line. Ford can't just waive their wand and magically get all of their lines up and running with the new transmissions. It'll take a couple of years.

• Like 1

Since CUV/SUV's are what's selling, it's most likely we'll see the 8 speed in those first. Then trickle down to the car line. Ford can't just waive their wand and magically get all of their lines up and running with the new transmissions. It'll take a couple of years.

This. Livonia is only just starting to build the first preproduction 8F units.