Is rail dust an issue?

Getting my new Navigator in 2-3 weeks and I was told from someone else that got a new car recently that rail dust is an issue and make sure to check the new car once you get there. I'm wondering if this has been an issue on any of the new Navigators.

Let me know,

Thanks.

Your dealer should wash it prior to delivery if necessary. As for rail dust, its not like cars are carried on open air cars like they were in the 60s and 70s. Theyre not fully sealed like boxcars are but enough to prevent their cargo from getting too dirty. If your car does get dirty, it likely happened when it was on the truck from the rail yard to the dealer, and again that should be addressed by your dealer if necessary. Whoever told you that must have had a dealer that didnt properly do its pre delivery inspection.

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 1

Your dealer should wash it prior to delivery if necessary. As for rail dust, its not like cars are carried on open air cars like they were in the 60s and 70s. Theyre not fully sealed like boxcars are but enough to prevent their cargo from getting too dirty. If your car does get dirty, it likely happened when it was on the truck from the rail yard to the dealer, and again that should be addressed by your dealer if necessary. Whoever told you that must have had a dealer that didnt properly do its pre delivery inspection.

My white F150 has rail dust on it. I attack it when I find it but it's a lease so I'm not killing myself over it.

• 4 weeks later...

Ford has a detailed inspection procedure for vehicles delivered to the dealership. As for the PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection), that's really the vehicle "prep" that's done by the service technicians... check all fluids, install wheel covers, front license plate bracket, wheel locks, accessories, etc. after which the vehicle gets turned over to the detail department. The detailers remove all the shipping stickers, grease pen marks, plastic shipping tape, etc. along with all the interior plastic. It would be pretty hard to believe that any dealership would actually try to deliver a vehicle without washing and detailing it.

As for the rail dust... vehicles arrive in pretty clean condition with most of the dirt accumulating during the trip from the rail ramp to the dealership on the car carrier. What rail dust there is on occasion is usually light and hasn't been on the vehicle long so it's removed easily. Unfortunately, not all dealerships operate at an ideal quality standard.