Custom Search

2019 Lincoln Aviator Introduced Here !

Welcome to Blue Oval Forums

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Blue Oval Forums.  You must first register to create topics and post replies. Registration is a quick and easy process and only takes a minute.  Be apart of Blue Oval Forums by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images
  • Use the Shout feature and more. . .
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Flat towing a 2009 V6 4 wheel drive Escape?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mraschke03

mraschke03

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 16-March 18
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Ford Escape

Posted 16 March 2018 - 10:46 AM

We purchased a motor home and had plans to flat tow the 2009 Escape we have behind it. The manual states that it is suitable for this. The mileage is at 150,000 and a new transmission was installed at 105,000 miles by the local Ford dealer. Before we installed a tow plate and dragged it down the road I am hoping to get advice on whether this is wise. Several on line sources refer to burning up the transmission if this vehicle is flat towed. Any advice or experiences would be appreciated.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

fordmantpw's alter ego

• 28,952 posts
  • Joined 18-April 06
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2018 F150 Supercab XLT Magnetic Grey 3.5LEB

Posted 16 March 2018 - 10:57 AM

https://community.fm...ng-2009-escape/

2018 F150 Supercab XLT Sport (Magnetic) - 3.5LEB
2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve (Luxe/Cappucino)

#3 OFFLINE   YT90SC

YT90SC

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Joined 28-July 04

Posted 16 March 2018 - 05:46 PM

It is supposed to be able to, But I STRONGLY and I mean STRONGLY (can't stress this enough) suggest you install the supplemental transmission pump that is available for them. Mostly because you either will get a failure by pulling it longer/further than it is supposed to be, or that it will just crap the bed on its own. I've been involved with both instances. Buy the pump or don't flat tow.  

• fordtech1 likes this
Dad always said,"Knowledge is limited but stupidity knows no bounds."

#4 OFFLINE   fordtech1

fordtech1

Blue Oval Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,741 posts
  • Joined 31-December 06
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Ford Fusion SEL, 2007 Volvo C70, 2006 Mercury Mariner Hybrid, 2005 Ford Focus

Posted 16 March 2018 - 05:48 PM

I concur!!!
  • YT90SC likes this

#5 OFFLINE   theoldwizard

theoldwizard

Retired

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,359 posts
  • Joined 06-February 03
  • Current Vehicle:'98 E150

Posted 19 March 2018 - 08:20 AM

The alternative to the auxiliary transmission pump (which IS the the best solution) is to rig up a system with a long thin dip tube and suck about a 8-12 ounces of fluid out of the transmission BEFORE towing !  Of course, you must replace this before driving !

The problem is, when the transmission is cold (from not being actually driven by the engine) the fluid level is high enough that some parts of the transmission contact the fluid, heat it up and cause it to foam.  A couple of hours being towed and the foam will expand enough to come out the dipstick tube.  The air in the foam does not allow sufficient cooling to the parts of the transmission that are supposed to be "splash" lubricated.

#6 OFFLINE   fordmantpw

fordmantpw

akirby's stunt double

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,124 posts
  • Joined 30-January 06
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • Current Vehicle:2017 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 PowerStroke Diesel

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:12 AM

The alternative to the auxiliary transmission pump (which IS the the best solution) is to rig up a system with a long thin dip tube and suck about a 8-12 ounces of fluid out of the transmission BEFORE towing !  Of course, you must replace this before driving !

The problem is, when the transmission is cold (from not being actually driven by the engine) the fluid level is high enough that some parts of the transmission contact the fluid, heat it up and cause it to foam.  A couple of hours being towed and the foam will expand enough to come out the dipstick tube.  The air in the foam does not allow sufficient cooling to the parts of the transmission that are supposed to be "splash" lubricated.

That's interesting.  One usually things the answer to an overheating transmission is MORE fluid (up to a point, obviously).

photo-thumb-15254.jpg

Future Vehicles
2020 Ford Explorer/Lincoln Aviator

Current Vehicles
'17 F350 Super Duty Crew Cab, Lariat, 4x4, 6.7L Diesel

'10 Mercury Milan

'09 Ford Flex Limited (wife's)

Past Vehicles
'08 F250 Super Duty Crew Cab, Lariat, 4x4, 6.4L Diesel
'05 Ford F150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 5.4 - sold @53k, not a single problem
'03 Ford Escape XLT
(wife's) Traded at 75k for '09 Flex
'99 Ford F150 XLT Regular Cab 4x4 5.4 - Sold @136k, then totaled by the new owner on the way to its new home :(
'96 Chevrolet Cavalier (wife's - she brought it into the marriage)
'86 Ford Bronco II XLT 4x4 5 Speed 2.9L - what a dog, and it cracked heads like no tomorrow. 150k+ on 4 engines

#7 OFFLINE   Arizona Mike

Arizona Mike

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Joined 01-March 12
  • Current Vehicle:Mariner, Mustang, Winnebago RV

Posted 22 June 2018 - 07:12 PM

I towed a 2010 Merc Mariner behind a motorhome from summer of '10 thru the spring of '16 and did about 25,000 miles towing in about 35 or 40 trips.  It had the infamous 6F35 tranny that was so bad for this job.  I was paranoid about overdoing the prescribed start up routine, going back and forth the  gears 5 or 6 times.  I also did the routine again after 3 to 4 hours of towing it.  I glanced at my rear view camera probably about every 10 minutes.  But the thing never failed.  Still, I was glad to get rid if it and the motorhome.

The pump listed above is from Remcotowing.com and sells for $1895.  I've heard it is easy to install, and takes about 6 hours.  I don't know if there is any other option.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service | DMCA ·