Custom Search

2019 Lincoln Aviator Introduced Here !

Welcome to Blue Oval Forums

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Blue Oval Forums.  You must first register to create topics and post replies. Registration is a quick and easy process and only takes a minute.  Be apart of Blue Oval Forums by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images
  • Use the Shout feature and more. . .
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

WTF happened....

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kyle

kyle

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Joined 18-November 02

Posted 11 March 2018 - 07:38 AM

So I've seen comment after comment indicate Fields cancelled this and that.....but I really never saw anything in Automotive News or WSJ and I'm wondering where you guys are getting this info?  Every downturn is being blamed on Fields and I'm not sure I entirely buy into this. 

The guy was no idiot and knows that fresh product sells better with less incentives so how did they get to where they are now? 

With China being starved for products and the lack of investment in this market and others for new products is just crazy. And when they do roll something out, it is so damn hard to see any noticeable differences.  

My issue is more around the fact that the board, including Bill Ford, would certainly be aware of all these decisions and maybe even sign off on some of this stuff. 

I'm a Ford guy thru and thru but keep my eyes pretty wide open but this makes me ask....WTF happened?

• 2b2 and The Handler like this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   ice-capades

ice-capades

Ford Dealer Advertising & Inventory Manager

• 2,635 posts
  • Joined 25-July 01
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2018 Mustang EcoBoost Fastback

Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:47 AM

So I've seen comment after comment indicate Fields cancelled this and that.....but I really never saw anything in Automotive News or WSJ and I'm wondering where you guys are getting this info?  Every downturn is being blamed on Fields and I'm not sure I entirely buy into this. 

The guy was no idiot and knows that fresh product sells better with less incentives so how did they get to where they are now? 

With China being starved for products and the lack of investment in this market and others for new products is just crazy. And when they do roll something out, it is so damn hard to see any noticeable differences.  

My issue is more around the fact that the board, including Bill Ford, would certainly be aware of all these decisions and maybe even sign off on some of this stuff. 

I'm a Ford guy thru and thru but keep my eyes pretty wide open but this makes me ask....WTF happened?

Alan Mulally set the standard. Afterwards, Mark Fields and company thought they knew better and went back to the old practice of protecting their own turf, etc. Unfortunately, Ford management never learns the lesson about continuous product development.  

• rperez817 likes this

#3 OFFLINE   J-150

J-150

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,000 posts
  • Joined 13-May 05

Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:57 AM

Agreed. The Board is powerful and signs off on major decisions. Fields is the fall guy.
  • Bob Rosadini, 2b2 and MY93SHO like this
I want a 5.0 equipped Focus

#4 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

fordmantpw's alter ego

• 28,717 posts
  • Joined 18-April 06
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2018 F150 Supercab XLT Magnetic Grey 3.5LEB

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:05 AM

There were inside confirmations of many new projects being cancelled, delayed or put on hold. Fields was cutting costs and hoarding cash because a major downturn in the market was forecast. Had the market actually tanked as projected Fields would have probably been congratulated, but that downturn never happened and Ford got caught with stale products and that affected sales and the stock price. He also did some things with partners that the board didn’t like.

The biggest clue was the CD6 program - the first thing Hackett did was restart those projects and accelerate them.

2018 F150 Supercab XLT Sport (Magnetic) - 3.5LEB
2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve (Luxe/Cappucino)

#5 OFFLINE   kyle

kyle

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Joined 18-November 02

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:34 AM

There were inside confirmations of many new projects being cancelled, delayed or put on hold. Fields was cutting costs and hoarding cash because a major downturn in the market was forecast. Had the market actually tanked as projected Fields would have probably been congratulated, but that downturn never happened and Ford got caught with stale products and that affected sales and the stock price. He also did some things with partners that the board didn’t like.

The biggest clue was the CD6 program - the first thing Hackett did was restart those projects and accelerate them.

Well that may explain the US market---but what about China? I never saw any forecasts for a downturn in the market until 2017/18. 

#6 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

fordmantpw's alter ego

• 28,717 posts
  • Joined 18-April 06

Posted 11 March 2018 - 11:06 AM

No idea about China unless Fields was also cutting investments there.

#7 OFFLINE   mackinaw

mackinaw

Blue Oval Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,739 posts
  • Joined 15-July 06
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Focus 1994 F-150

Posted 11 March 2018 - 11:44 AM

Well that may explain the US market---but what about China? I never saw any forecasts for a downturn in the market until 2017/18. 

Good article on Ford's China problems here:

https://www.freep.co...hina/341385002/

#8 OFFLINE   2b2

2b2

Mercury C557 wannabee

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,117 posts
  • Joined 21-August 04
  • Current Vehicle:econobox

Posted 11 March 2018 - 04:19 PM

There were inside confirmations of many new projects being cancelled, delayed or put on hold... ...cutting costs and hoarding cash because a major downturn in the market was forecast. Had the market actually tanked as projected Fields would have probably been congratulated, but that downturn never happened and Ford got caught with stale products and that affected sales and the stock price...

I have no problem with the idea that DURING Field's tenure decisions were based on pessimism - whoEVER

'architected' that general path

but

I've seen NO indications that Hatchett has does ANYthing except confuse the public&fans...

...would greatly appreciate Links for him "re-starting" cD6, esp!

Edited by 2b2, 11 March 2018 - 04:21 PM.

It’s not a journey. Every journey ends, but we go on. The world turns and we turn with it. Plans disappear. Dreams take over. Yet wherever I go, there you are. My luck, my fate, my fortune. MERCURY. It's inevitable.
Posted Image

MMXX

#9 OFFLINE   jpd80

jpd80

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,249 posts
  • Joined 02-June 04
  • Current Vehicle:Falcon 302 V8

Posted 11 March 2018 - 05:13 PM

China has introduced a requirement that selling vehicles there has to include at least 10% as EVs,

hence the hurried JV with Zyote and development of 40 new EVs over the next few years, most of them

will be for Chinese domestic market so that Ford can keep selling ICEs there after 2019.

The issue with china is that Ford's products are now looking stale, past their use by dates but that

was also coupled with less selling days in February thanks to later Chinese new year  holidays.

Ford's vehicles sizes now seem to be slightly out of line with the longer roomier vehicles form competitors,

I thnk this is making it harder for Ford to compete but should start improving by years end.

Edited by jpd80, 11 March 2018 - 05:17 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

fordmantpw's alter ego

• 28,717 posts
  • Joined 18-April 06

Posted 11 March 2018 - 05:31 PM

I have no problem with the idea that DURING Field's tenure decisions were based on pessimism - whoEVER
'architected' that general path
but
I've seen NO indications that Hatchett has does ANYthing except confuse the public&fans...
...would greatly appreciate Links for him "re-starting" cD6, esp!

No links and nothing public - just insider info that was posted a few months ago.
  • 2b2 likes this

#11 OFFLINE   jpd80

jpd80

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,249 posts
  • Joined 02-June 04

Posted 11 March 2018 - 06:47 PM

Mr Hackett, the great communicator

#12 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

fordmantpw's alter ego

• 28,717 posts
  • Joined 18-April 06

Posted 11 March 2018 - 08:05 PM

I don’t know why you guys are so hung up on what Hackett says or doesn’t say. It’s not going to sell more vehicles.
  • fordmantpw and SoonerLS like this

#13 ONLINE   fuzzymoomoo

fuzzymoomoo

Blue Oval Enthusiast

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,967 posts
  • Joined 18-February 14
  • Current Vehicle:2008 Focus, 2018 Fusion

Posted 11 March 2018 - 08:43 PM

I dont know why you guys are so hung up on what Hackett says or doesnt say. Its not going to sell more vehicles.

because everyone from employees to investors have wanted answers from the guy and hes given us nothing
  • ANTAUS, jpd80, 2b2 and 2 others like this
Officially a disgruntled Ford Employee

#14 OFFLINE   Bob Rosadini

Bob Rosadini

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts
  • Joined 15-October 99

Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:30 PM

Mr Hackett, the great communicator

At least in his mind!

I don’t know why you guys are so hung up on what Hackett says or doesn’t say. It’s not going to sell more vehicles.

No argument that most consumers are not paying attention to what Hackett says-but doesn't all the press associated with his failure to convince the "street" ultimately trickle down to the public?? "Is Ford on a roll?" Don't think that is the perception.

because everyone from employees to investors have wanted answers from the guy and hes given us nothing

Amen.  I get multiple Seeking Alpha posts everyday and usually he takes a hit for not taking a position-other than "Silicon speak"

Compare him to Mullaly's first year performance and how he was viewed by the press and I think the public in general.

• 2b2 and pffan1990 like this

#15 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

fordmantpw's alter ego

• 28,717 posts
  • Joined 18-April 06

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:10 PM

“The street” doesn’t buy cars and car buyers don’t care what “the street” says about a mfr.

I don’t remember Mulally saying anything about new products or platforms.

I understand he’s not impressing anyone but I honestly don’t see where that really matters much at this point in time. It would be different if Ford was on the verge of bankruptcy but they’re not - far from it in fact. What matters is he gets the new products and platforms rebooted and going full speed ahead.
  • grbeck likes this

#16 OFFLINE   jpd80

jpd80

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,249 posts
  • Joined 02-June 04

Posted 11 March 2018 - 11:55 PM

No one is expecting Hackett to bullet list every new product that's coming and you're right, Mulally didn't either...

Mulally took investors and the media on a journey and keep them spellbound by his charm and charisma,

he kept them fed on the basics,

- Right size the business to true market volume

- Eliminate what appear to be duplication of product

- Focus on best in class fuel economy

- Deliver affordable quality vehicles.

In contrast, Hackett began to tell Adam Jonas from Morgan Stanley that his plan had six key points

but when pressed, he was not able to share those six key points and after nine months in the chair

we still know precious little about how Hackett is changing Ford....

And we also have little if any color on why 2018 will be  a "bad year" as Hackett officially described it...

Edited by jpd80, 12 March 2018 - 12:10 AM.

• Bob Rosadini, ANTAUS, kyle and 2 others like this

#17 OFFLINE   kyle

kyle

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Joined 18-November 02

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:20 AM

Good article on Ford's China problems here:

https://www.freep.co...hina/341385002/

Thanks....

#18 OFFLINE   fordmantpw

fordmantpw

akirby's stunt double

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,088 posts
  • Joined 30-January 06
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • Current Vehicle:2017 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 PowerStroke Diesel

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:22 AM

No one is expecting Hackett to bullet list every new product that's coming and you're right, Mulally didn't either...

Mulally took investors and the media on a journey and keep them spellbound by his charm and charisma,

In contrast, Hackett began to tell Adam Jonas from Morgan Stanley that his plan had six key points

but when pressed, he was not able to share those six key points and after nine months in the chair

And we also have little if any color on why 2018 will be  a "bad year" as Hackett officially described it...

If you don't know why 2018 is going to be a bad year for Ford, then you haven't been paying attention.

• akirby likes this

photo-thumb-15254.jpg

Future Vehicles
2020 Ford Explorer/Lincoln Aviator

Current Vehicles
'17 F350 Super Duty Crew Cab, Lariat, 4x4, 6.7L Diesel

'10 Mercury Milan

'09 Ford Flex Limited (wife's)

Past Vehicles
'08 F250 Super Duty Crew Cab, Lariat, 4x4, 6.4L Diesel
'05 Ford F150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 5.4 - sold @53k, not a single problem
'03 Ford Escape XLT
(wife's) Traded at 75k for '09 Flex
'99 Ford F150 XLT Regular Cab 4x4 5.4 - Sold @136k, then totaled by the new owner on the way to its new home :(
'96 Chevrolet Cavalier (wife's - she brought it into the marriage)
'86 Ford Bronco II XLT 4x4 5 Speed 2.9L - what a dog, and it cracked heads like no tomorrow. 150k+ on 4 engines

#19 OFFLINE   kyle

kyle

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Joined 18-November 02

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:32 AM

Well one of the points of his plan is "get in shape, lose some weight, run a 10k or some bullshit like that".....the guy has said nothing to reassure the market, the company or the public that he can turn things around quickly-IMO....and now every time you hear one of their executives talk they are using the same phrase about "getting in shape, or whatever it is." 

This industry is about winners and losers and the cool thing is that your vunerabilities/strengths are shown in results. 

• Bob Rosadini and 2b2 like this

#20 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

fordmantpw's alter ego

• 28,717 posts
  • Joined 18-April 06

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:36 AM

If you don't know why 2018 is going to be a bad year for Ford, then you haven't been paying attention.

And I'm not convinced it will be a "bad" year necessarily.   They probably won't make as much profit as last year but if they still make $3B - 4B  I'd consider that at least an OK year considering the current products.

Edited by akirby, 12 March 2018 - 08:48 AM.

• fordmantpw likes this

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service | DMCA ·