2019 Silverado MD revealed

Fgts

Something just dawned on me: The new Chevy 4500/5500/6500 competes with the F-450/550 and about 80% of the 650's built. GM did it with one platform co-developed with a partner and built in the partner's plant. For a market that is very competitive and price-sensitive. Not bad..........

Gas engine likely in 2020 when their new HD pickups debut. And, did you catch the bit about how easy these truck will be to upfit? If true, I'll bet Altec and a lot of other 'turn-key' upfitters will push these new Chevy's.

The new Silverado 4500 and 5500 is like the old Top Kick... medium duty straight high frame and Allison transmission to compete with pickup truck frame based Ford F-450/550 and Ram 4500/5500 with lower operating costs. You will get some interest from fleets that wants to downsize from F-650 or seeking lower acquisition costs vs. cab forwards. But it is a pretty narrow niche. I see 4500/5500 mainly going to dump truck or utility applications rather than upfitters. The upfitters were not very high on the old Top Kick 4500/5500 because of the high frame so I'm curious to see if that changes. Shuttle bus and ambulance upfitters still prefer the lower van or pickup truck style frame on F-450/550 (and Ram 4500/5500) and E-450.

Silverado 6500 is straight on F-650 competitor and it will be interesting to see how that shakes out with Ford sticking with in-house transmission only.

Edited by bzcat

Something just dawned on me: The new Chevy 4500/5500/6500 competes with the F-450/550 and about 80% of the 650's built. GM did it with one platform co-developed with a partner and built in the partner's plant. For a market that is very competitive and price-sensitive. Not bad..........

Gas engine likely in 2020 when their new HD pickups debut. And, did you catch the bit about how easy these truck will be to upfit? If true, I'll bet Altec and a lot of other 'turn-key' upfitters will push these new Chevy's.

80%-really? I have to say just about every 650 I see around here in dealer ads is a 26,000lb GVW the GM is a max of 22,000 isn't it?

What is going to stop their partner from also competing in the market?

Will be interesting to see just how close the International is to the chevy once it is announced. Will be a battle of dealer rep-and unless the International dealer is too far from any market, I would think "truck dealer" wins-unless pricing is out of whack.

The new Silverado 4500 and 5500 is like the old Top Kick... medium duty straight high frame and Allison transmission to compete with pickup truck frame based Ford F-450/550 and Ram 4500/5500 with lower operating costs. You will get some interest from fleets that wants to downsize from F-650 or seeking lower acquisition costs vs. cab forwards. But it is a pretty narrow niche. I see 4500/5500 mainly going to dump truck or utility applications rather than upfitters. The upfitters were not very high on the old Top Kick 4500/5500 because of the high frame so I'm curious to see if that changes. Shuttle bus and ambulance upfitters still prefer the lower van or pickup truck style frame on F-450/550 (and Ram 4500/5500) and E-450.

Silverado 6500 is straight on F-650 competitor and it will be interesting to see how that shakes out with Ford sticking with in-house transmission only.

Perception-perception. Fordman commented about the Allison not having anything over the Torqueshift-hope he is right but what? 50 years of history to overcome is tough IMO. In particular when my guess is 80% of the heavy municipals-at least around here -are Allisons.