2019 Silverado MD revealed

Fgts

Actually Apple does announce plans to an extent. They already said the iPhone X would be dropped in the fall and replaced with the all-new unnamed iPhone. They were disappointed with dropping sales and already lowered prices on the X. They announced last December that there will be an all-new next generation desktop Apple computer coming at this coming December (which at last December, they said 'next year at this time'). I don't need to know the details of what Ford is planning but at least they should say what is going to happen to the Fusion, Taurus, confirm/deny the CD6 platform, and etc. No major details are needed but just to allow fans, customers, and shareholders know what the hell is going on. It only makes it seem like Ford and Hackett have no plans at all or they don't know what's going on themselves. How many times do the shareholders need to ask the CEO more details and info about the Ranger and Bronco before finally announced or revealed? This was one reason that Mark Fields got fired. At a shareholder meeting, he simply said that both trucks would be midsize body-on-frame and that Bronco would be instantly recognizable and to its roots. Then went on and on about electrification and autonomous cars that no one seems to give a s**t about. That was why he got fired and Hackett got hired. Just recently at Detroit Auto Show was where the Ranger was finally revealed. I get if engine specs and fuel economy specs can't be announced until closer to production. No one still knows about Bronco, which understandably as to not get competition to know what's going on, but would be nice to know something. Has it been delayed as rumored? etc. etc.

I figured the new PIU would be new Explorer-based after yours and others recent comments.

Fields got fired primarily because he cut product development and pissed off partners.

What tangible benefit does Ford get by announcing CD6 before Explorer is actually ready to launch? Answer - zero. Just because people want to know doesn’t mean they need to know.

• Like 1

Actually Apple does announce plans to an extent. They already said the iPhone X would be dropped in the fall and replaced with the all-new unnamed iPhone. They were disappointed with dropping sales and already lowered prices on the X. They announced last December that there will be an all-new next generation desktop Apple computer coming at this coming December (which at last December, they said 'next year at this time'). I don't need to know the details of what Ford is planning but at least they should say what is going to happen to the Fusion, Taurus, confirm/deny the CD6 platform, and etc. No major details are needed but just to allow fans, customers, and shareholders know what the hell is going on. It only makes it seem like Ford and Hackett have no plans at all or they don't know what's going on themselves. How many times do the shareholders need to ask the CEO more details and info about the Ranger and Bronco before finally announced or revealed? This was one reason that Mark Fields got fired. At a shareholder meeting, he simply said that both trucks would be midsize body-on-frame and that Bronco would be instantly recognizable and to its roots. Then went on and on about electrification and autonomous cars that no one seems to give a s**t about. That was why he got fired and Hackett got hired. Just recently at Detroit Auto Show was where the Ranger was finally revealed. I get if engine specs and fuel economy specs can't be announced until closer to production. No one still knows about Bronco, which understandably as to not get competition to know what's going on, but would be nice to know something. Has it been delayed as rumored? etc. etc.

I figured the new PIU would be new Explorer-based after yours and others recent comments.

Please show where Apple has said they are dropping the iPhoneX. Analyst have predicted it, but I'm pretty sure Apple has said nothing of that.

Been looking for the particular article but can't find it. MacRumors is a site for Apple users by Apple users. What they say on that site from some with inside ties usually come out accurate compared to other sites. This article does say 'according to analyst' however I do know few people with inside ties as well as a cousin's husband who actually works there and part of iPhone department. There are plans to drop it later when a new one comes out. Mostly due to disappointing sales. I may be wrong in that Apple didn't announce it officially, per se, but they DID announce new desktop computer coming a year from their original announcement, which was December. My point is that some companies announce basic info at least a year in advance to give customers and fans an idea of what's happening. I don't need full details but it would be nice to know what's happening with some cars, what's coming, etc. Then the pathetic conferences at auto shows when they announce that they have an announcement only to reveal just one vehicle or nothing at all.

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/01/22/kgi-apple-will-discontinue-original-iphone-x/

You’re right, it would be nice to know. That doesn’t mean Ford needs to tell us or anyone else. Do you not understand maintaining a competitive advantage?

I guess the way I look at it-for sure you don't want to reveal too much-uh Mr Obama.."Yes we will pull everyone out of (pick a country) by XX-XX-XXXX"- but I think when you know your competition is making moves doesn't it make sense to drop some hints to let the buying public know that perhaps they should see what the Blue Oval comes up with???

• Like 1

I seen one in person Yesterday at the work truck show. Cab & interior was nice, front end reeks ugly and outdated with those old headlights. The truck frame is too tall, making it an issue for those in the towing companies (a huge part of the class market) because they can't go in garages like the Ford & Rams. Really won't compete with the F650 either. The 6500 will be more like a HD 5500. I see it doing well for all the GM nuts mourning the loss of the old 4500/5500's for the first year or two, But I don't see it as much of a threat to the Ford/Ram class 4/5/6 in the long term.

LS-How about it-what did the Ford exhibit look like? Any customers there or were they all at Chevy, Hino and Navistar?

I guess the way I look at it-for sure you don't want to reveal too much-uh Mr Obama.."Yes we will pull everyone out of (pick a country) by XX-XX-XXXX"- but I think when you know your competition is making moves doesn't it make sense to drop some hints to let the buying public know that perhaps they should see what the Blue Oval comes up with???

Sometimes. But sometimes that also works against selling your own current products.

So Ford customers, prospective customers, shareholders, fans are supposed to just wait until they finally announce it? Let me run this scenario: let's say a customer wants to buy an Explorer. There's discounts and incentives going on right now for the one currently on sale but this customer doesn't really like it and is in market for that kind of crossover/SUV. He keeps hearing talks of it going to CD6 but doesn't know for sure. Should he go ahead and get a 2018 one now while the deal's good even though he doesn't like it? Or should he wait until Ford finally announce it? What if the Aviator wasn't even shown at all at New York Auto Show, let's just say. That Ford decided to finally reveal the Explorer and Aviator at next year's Detroit Auto Show in production form instead of concept. The prospective customer would then have to wait another year to decide. Then he'll have to decide whether or not to do leasing. I'm not saying Ford should announce ALL details at least the year in advance nor should they just say 'yeah, Explorer is going rear drive based for 2020' and then nothing else. (Remember Ford's announcement of Bronco last year and still no info and now talks of possible delay?). I know people will not be happy one way or another whether it's announce now with no info or no announcements at all. Ford will just not be able to win at all.

My real complaint is lack of organization regarding the auto shows where they claim there will be something revealed with a long press such as Work Truck Show only for the van to be revealed actually the night before this long press where apparently nothing new was revealed? The website said 'future plans would be discussed' as in plural but nothing new that we know of were discussed at the so-called press. It goes on. The shareholders have a right to know what's going on considering their stock value is going down. Again, no major details of competitive advantage need be discussed, but come on, Ford should at least say whether Bronco will have 2 doors or 4 doors instead of 'midsize body-on-frame' and then on and on about things no one cares about. I guess I'm in a minority when I think Ford should discuss what will be coming. Again, nothing that would give competitive advantage.

You do realize that the numbers of those who know there is a rumored new version coming on a rumored new platform is a really small, right? Most folks don't know what's on the lot, let alone what's coming in 3, 6, 18 months.

That's precisely my point. I used an example of a customer that heard about this new CD6 architecture. But let's say he didn't and went on and purchased the 2018 or leased it only to find out an all new one coming just next year on a fantastic architecture. Wouldn't he have a right to be pissed? As a paying customer? That's the point I was making and used an example of a customer that heard talks of it but still had a hard choice to buy one now, lease the one now, or just wait until next year? I'll add another 'what-if' to this scenario. What if he has a vehicle that is old and about to die shortly. He doesn't want to have to keep fixing it only for something else to go wrong. He cannot wait another year let alone whether or not he heard talks of switch to RWD? This is just the one 'what if' customer. Imagine lots of prospective customers in addition to loyal Ford customers also wondering what's coming.

That's precisely my point. I used an example of a customer that heard about this new CD6 architecture. But let's say he didn't and went on and purchased the 2018 or leased it only to find out an all new one coming just next year on a fantastic architecture. Wouldn't he have a right to be pissed? As a paying customer? That's the point I was making and used an example of a customer that heard talks of it but still had a hard choice to buy one now, lease the one now, or just wait until next year? I'll add another 'what-if' to this scenario. What if he has a vehicle that is old and about to die shortly. He doesn't want to have to keep fixing it only for something else to go wrong. He cannot wait another year let alone whether or not he heard talks of switch to RWD? This is just the one 'what if' customer. Imagine lots of prospective customers in addition to loyal Ford customers also wondering what's coming.

Why should that customer be pissed? What is there to be pissed about? It's a fact of life...things are always improving. If you are always waiting for the next best thing, you'll never buy...anything...ever!

But see, there aren't that many that have a clue, so you've got 1000 customers waiting. You are willing to tip off the competition for those 1000 customers?

• Like 1

LS-How about it-what did the Ford exhibit look like? Any customers there or were they all at Chevy, Hino and Navistar?

Ford exhibit was nice. I believe it was the biggest exhibit there. Lots of people at the Ford booth too. No new reveals in the Ford booth that I noticed. I looked at the 4500 Chevy for about 10 seconds. My wife said that's it? I said "it's just a Chevy".

• Like 1

Ford exhibit was nice. I believe it was the biggest exhibit there. Lots of people at the Ford booth too. No new reveals in the Ford booth that I noticed.

It looks like Ford sponsored lunch and refreshments for Work Truck Show attendees this year in Indianapolis. Great idea!

38869380130_c8fd66f6c9_h.jpg

• Like 1

As far as looks, GM buyers will like it. It fits well within the Silverado look.

Capability? I can't see GM and Navistar putting this much effort into a vehicle that will launch as inferior to older models of Ford and Ram.

But of course, it's not the first time GM did such a thing.

• Like 1

As far as looks, GM buyers will like it. It fits well within the Silverado look.

Capability? I can't see GM and Navistar putting this much effort into a vehicle that will launch as inferior to older models of Ford and Ram.

But of course, it's not the first time GM did such a thing.

It would seem that GM did not learn anything from their first 4500/5500 failure.

Other than using a shorter height, longer length pickup truck cab versus a taller, shorter length van based cab, what makes their new 4500/5500 and different/better than the last one?

I think you've identified it. Lower cab height because of the use of Silverado cab vs the van based cab used on the old 4500/5500. Plus the serviceability issue. Anyone who works on a say a 550 with 19.5 wheels would appreciate cranking the wheel and walking up to the engine compartment on the new GM.

Plus if it's like the old one it is a much heavier truck-heavier as in "more durable" -but has the 550 ever had a negative reputation for non durability from a suspension perspective? I don't think so. Plus it will probably be at a disadvantage compared to 550 from a payload perspective.

Stay tuned-as I've frequently posted the local Altech installation facility has a yard full of 550's awaiting bucket installs. Will see if the power companies, Verizon, Comcast etc, all of a sudden start buying the new Chevy.

The other issue, I can't believe while they were at it, they did NOT offer a gas option.

Stay tuned-as I've frequently posted the local Altech installation facility has a yard full of 550's awaiting bucket installs. Will see if the power companies, Verizon, Comcast etc, all of a sudden start buying the new Chevy.

The other issue, I can't believe while they were at it, they did NOT offer a gas option.

Many fleet buyers in my area went with Chevy/GMC during the Topkick era.

I'm thinking a 7.x gas engine will be offered at some point soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Something just dawned on me: The new Chevy 4500/5500/6500 competes with the F-450/550 and about 80% of the 650's built. GM did it with one platform co-developed with a partner and built in the partner's plant. For a market that is very competitive and price-sensitive. Not bad..........

Gas engine likely in 2020 when their new HD pickups debut. And, did you catch the bit about how easy these truck will be to upfit? If true, I'll bet Altec and a lot of other 'turn-key' upfitters will push these new Chevy's.

Edited by 7Mary3

Something just dawned on me: The new Chevy 4500/5500/6500 competes with the F-450/550 and about 80% of the 650's built. GM did it with one platform co-developed with a partner and built in the partner's plant. For a market that is very competitive and price-sensitive. Not bad..........

Gas engine likely in 2020 when their new HD pickups debut. And, did you catch the bit about how easy these truck will be to upfit? If true, I'll bet Altec and a lot of other 'turn-key' upfitters will push these new Chevy's.

What is going to stop their partner from also competing in the market?