2019 GMC Sierra Revealed

rmc523

Eddie Bauer was OG.

I can't think of anything Chevy or dodge had back then that was comparable. Nothing that survived today that's for sure.... but you still see EB Broncos and Explorers.

In luxury, no I don't think so. However, "Z71" was a big deal in the 90s.

Eddie Bauer was OG.

I can't think of anything Chevy or dodge had back then that was comparable. Nothing that survived today that's for sure.... but you still see EB Broncos and Explorers.

GM since the mid 70's had the Cheyenne and Sierra Grande during the C/K years, Silverado was the luxury package for Chevy till the name stuck on all trucks in the early 90's, S-10/Blazer had "Tahoe" luxury package until 94' when that name got stuck on the current SUV .

Dodge had the Prospector 1-3 package on Ram/Ramcharger lux package during that time also until the D-based trucks was replaced in 93'.

GM since the mid 70's had the Cheyenne and Sierra Grande during the C/K years, Silverado was the luxury package for Chevy till the name stuck on all trucks in the early 90's, S-10/Blazer had "Tahoe" luxury package until 94' when that name got stuck on the current SUV .

Dodge had the Prospector 1-3 package on Ram/Ramcharger lux package during that time also until the D-based trucks was replaced in 93'.

I wouldn't consider 1970's Silverado (or Sierra Classic) comparable to Denali market positioning. Besides, at that time, Ford matched them with XLT Lariat-and Dodge with Adventurer SE. Luxurious, sure, but none of those sufficiently distinctive to merit called Upscale.

Prospector was a package that was available in addition to trim levels, as Explorer was to Ford pickup trims of the time. I personally don't consider either of them upscale enough to compare to EB package. Stuff like that Rumble Bee Dodge example is like their 1970's "Macho", "Warlock" or "Lil' Red Pickup"-perhaps luxurious, but again not upscale.

Eddie Bauer, Denali and maybe Jeep's Sahara trim had cachet. "Gentleman Jim" and "Beau James" (lol) might've fit the bill, but were just special editions.

gj6.jpg

4036202821_57f4af3195_z.jpg

Edited by Mad Hatter

I wouldn't consider 1970's Silverado (or Sierra Classic) comparable to Denali market positioning. Besides, at that time, Ford matched them with XLT Lariat-and Dodge with Adventurer SE. Luxurious, sure, but none of those sufficiently distinctive to merit called Upscale.

Prospector was a package that was available in addition to trim levels, as Explorer was to Ford pickup trims of the time. I personally don't consider either of them upscale enough to compare to EB package. Stuff like that Rumble Bee Dodge example is like their 1970's "Macho", "Warlock" or "Lil' Red Pickup"-perhaps luxurious, but again not upscale.

Eddie Bauer, Denali and maybe Jeep's Sahara trim had cachet. "Gentleman Jim" and "Beau James" (lol) might've fit the bill, but were just special editions.

gj6.jpg

4036202821_57f4af3195_z.jpg

The corner step is clever but probably not the safest solution, but it does make it available to all customers as opposed to the expensive tailgate step. The corner step vs the tailgate step does remind me of the NASA Space Pen vs Russian Pencil story, GM found the Pencil solution while Ford was engineering a space pen. But now GM has both. The opening did allow GM to hide their parking sensors without the big wart on the lamp fixtures.

Either way, both Ford and GM are equally outstanding truck engineers and at this point they are all on a level playing field for the first time since 2015. Competition keeps them motivated.

Edited by Assimilator

They need to dump the corner step on the rear bumper. Its useless and a completely misguided attempt to combat Fords man step.

I don't really get it; is it too hard for people to use the top of the bumper as a step?

Edit: It looks like maybe their bumper is too small to step on which is weird.

Edited by probowler
  • Like 1

The corner step is clever but probably not the safest solution, but it does make it available to all customers as opposed to the expensive tailgate step. The corner step vs the tailgate step does remind me of the NASA Space Pen vs Russian Pencil story, GM found the Pencil solution while Ford was engineering a space pen. But now GM has both. The opening did allow GM to hide their parking sensors without the big wart on the lamp fixtures.

Either way, both Ford and GM are equally outstanding truck engineers and at this point they are all on a level playing field for the first time since 2015. Competition keeps them motivated.

Will be interesting to see how well the sensors work in the bumper. the sensors are easily fooled by water. if wet mud or snow pile up in those pockets is could cause a constant false activation.

Prospector would probably be a great nameplate for their heavy duty truck. Now that Ram is a division instead of a model nameplate there should be room for nameplates for their products.

• Like 1