New 7L engine confirmed

I saw that but it doesn’t make sense. All the others are in numerical order.

Also - the specification (ends in H1 or B1) doesn’t match the current oil specification (ends in A).

It is possible but it doesn’t add up.

Good points. I figured the engines were grouped by oil requirements along with testing procedures. Oil requirements do change over time, and I didn't see any oil listed with an 'A' suffix.

Basically, what it boils down to is if the 7X is based on the 6.2L, no reason the 6.2L wouldn't stick around for the pickups. If the 7X is 'all new', then it would seem to make more sense is the 7X replaced both the 6.2L and 6.8L.

All I have read so far indicates the 7X replaces the 6.8L, and no word that the 6.2L is being dropped.

The 5.0 isn't in the same class as the 6.2 when it comes to power output--the 6.2 is a torque monster. The Coyote is great, but it's not built for Super Duty, umm, duty; it builds its power and torque too high up in the revs for that kind of work.

There is no 6.2L listed in Ford’s 2020 engine list, only the 7.3.

It's there, 3rd box down. The 5.0 was hiding on the list too!

The 5.0 isn't in the same class as the 6.2 when it comes to power output--the 6.2 is a torque monster. The Coyote is great, but it's not built for Super Duty, umm, duty; it builds its power and torque too high up in the revs for that kind of work.

Not much difference in torque between the new 5.0 & 6.2 at all.

True, but even the V10 does not have enough torque. Hopefully the new 7.3 Gas excels there. I'm sure that is Ford's goal, to beat the V10 torque by a decent amount.

Maybe so, but Dean's question was why they didn't use the 5.0 in the Super Duties. And I agree about the 7X; it should whoop both the 6.2 and the V10.

The 6.2 is produced at Romeo, correct? If the 7.3 were an evolution of the 6.2 one would not expect them to be built in different plants unless they were high volume engines which was the case with the original modular engines.

I suppose Ford could bring back the old Super Duty engine name although that would sound a bit redundant having a Super Duty truck with a Super Duty engine. On the other hand, those old engines had a well deserved reputation for strength and longevity and probably went a long way toward establishing Ford's truck cred.

So, this motor and 6.2L BOSS would likely "meld" into one architecture based on 7X Windsor motor and I would bet that Ford makes a 6.2L-6.4L version of Windsor for F250/350....would be nostalgic if they made a 5.8L version though....351 Windsor motor lives!!!

There were 5.8 and 6.2 V8s in the original Hurricane engine program before it was scrapped and brought back as a 6.2 Boss.

All the 6.2 needs is better heads with smaller ports to increase low end torque, a 3-valve head would do nicely.

In F250, the 6.2 accounts for around 50% of sales but in F350, that's down to about 25%, it needs a bigger gas engine

and the new 7.3 might be just the thing to increase SD and MD sales..

Edited by jpd80

Gosh the 6.2 is a pretty physically large engine to start with. I hope after they raise the decks that Ford does their homework and refines the outside shape so this thing has a chance to catch on in many uses such as industrial and Marine.

If the new 7X V8 is based on the Boss V8 I think they'll need to raise the deck height, making the block bigger. The Boss block is comparable to the old FE block. The bore spacing is 4.530" to 4.630". The deck height is 9.41" (See Note) to 10.170". The old FE maxed out at 428 CID (stock) and a Boss prototype was punched out to 427 CID (7.0L). I doubt the Boss 7.0L would have made a very good super duty truck. engine.

Note: It's tough getting official dimensions for the Boss V8 block. I got the 9.41" deck height figure from a forum poster.

The way that I see this is that Ford will probably make the 7.3 V8 fit into the space that the 6.8 V10 currently occupies.

Length, width and height probably all stay similar but with eight bigger cylinders replacing ten smaller ones.

so it's probably going to have a deck height around 10" or maybe a little more and possibly built fairly square

with 4.125" to 4.13" bore and maybe the Mod's 4.16" stroke to promote strong low end torque.

The way that I see this is that Ford will probably make the 7.3 V8 fit into the space that the 6.8 V10 currently occupies.

Length, width and height probably all stay similar but with eight bigger cylinders replacing ten smaller ones.

so it's probably going to have a deck height around 10" or maybe a little more and possibly built fairly square

with 4.125" to 4.13" bore and maybe the Mod's 4.16" stroke to promote strong low end torque.

Prepped for Propane and/or CNG?

5.4L/6.8L Mods have a deck height over 10". I figure the 7.3L would possibly be a little wider due to the valve arrangement, a bit shorter because of the V-10's balance shaft, and not as long because the 7.3L is a V-8.

It's amazing how compromised the 5.4L and 6.8L design was. Absolutely at the limit of displacement, lousy rod ratio, small bore necessitating a 3 valve head, and huge external dimensions particularly considering their displacement.

• Like 1