Beasts of Burden: 2018 Ford Expedition versus Tahoe, Durango, Armada, Sequoia

As I mentioned in another topic, Ford Expedition may end up killing Armada and Sequoia in the U.S. market. GM, FCA, and now Ford are far ahead in the full size SUV segment. It's hopeless for Nissan and Toyota. http://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford/expedition/2018/ford-expedition-vs-chevrolet-tahoe-vs-dodge-durango-vs-toyota-sequoia-vs-nissan-armada/

5th: Toyota Sequoia TRD Sport 4WD Ten years old and feels every year of it. It’s big and cheap. If that’s all you need, you’ll be OK. But don’t go looking for more here.

4th: Nissan Armada Platinum 4WD Despite its comfortable ride and prompt powertrain, its useless third row, maddeningly complex electronic controls, and high cost of ownership keep it off the podium.

3rd: Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4WD Z71 The best-seller gets by, thanks to its slightly more usable third row, better fuel economy, stronger off-road performance (thanks, tires!), and modern infotainment system.

2nd: Dodge Durango 4 R/T The Durango is getting on in years, but Dodge has kept it fresh. You’ll lack some interior space but gain a great driving experience, nice materials, and a cheap sticker price.

1st: Ford Expedition XLT FX4 4×4 Spacious, smart, comfortable, quick, and efficient, the Expedition does it all well. On-road, off-road, towing, you name it—this is the best in class.

As I mentioned in another topic, Ford Expedition may end up killing Armada and Sequoia in the U.S. market. GM, FCA, and now Ford are far ahead in the full size SUV segment. It's hopeless for Nissan and Toyota. http://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford/expedition/2018/ford-expedition-vs-chevrolet-tahoe-vs-dodge-durango-vs-toyota-sequoia-vs-nissan-armada/

Hasnt stopped them from trying with the Tundra and Titan respectively
  • Like 1

Its actually a very nice SUV. But I would not consider it in the same size class as the Expy and Tahoe. That'll be the Grand Wagoneer when that finally comes out (based off the Ram 1500).

They are nice. I have a friend that has one and it is a sharp ride. Im actually surprised they dont sell more of them, especially the high performance version.

I was surprised when I read it. I was ready for them to knock something. One thing is for sure, GM has really rested on their laurels for way too long. Is the rumor true, that GM had to delay it 8 months due to originally deciding not to go with IRS? I wouldn't be surprised. Once they started to how good the Expedition and Navigator was they couldn't keep things status quo.

Its actually a very nice SUV. But I would not consider it in the same size class as the Expy and Tahoe. That'll be the Grand Wagoneer when that finally comes out (based off the Ram 1500).

The Durango is really nice, a friend of mine has one and they really love it. If I wasn't Ford biased, I probably would get one over the Explorer. At least until the CD6 Explorer comes out...

Hasnt stopped them from trying with the Tundra and Titan respectively

I am no fan, but where i live, there are plenty of Sequoia's and NIssan's in the carpool line in spite of their horrible styling. Plenty of Tundra's here in the mountain west as well. These vehicles will soldier on simply because there is a solid number of customers that look no where else but Toyota or Nissan when shopping for a vehicle - sorry to say!

That being said, I am happy to see the new Expedition leap to the top.

Kinda surprised to see them include this iteration of the Durango. It's much closer to the Explorers and Traverses of the world.

Now that I'm not surprised to see. They have this inexplicable fetish for mismatching the vehicles in their comparisons. I'm kind of surprised that they used Expedition instead of Edge. That's the kind of crap I'm used to seeing in MT reviews.

Edited by SoonerLS
  • Like 1

I was surprised when I read it. I was ready for them to knock something. One thing is for sure, GM has really rested on their laurels for way too long.

Ummm not buying this.

They have upgraded this product way more than Ford and you cannot disagree with the sales volume GM leads by. They have killed Ford the past 10 plus years in this segment, allowing them to generate so much more money. Ford or anyone would gladly switch the numbers around and finish 3rd in a MT comparison while they have stockpiled probably billions in additional profit because Ford allowed them to.

I agree the Expedition today is the better product but that may change in 24 months. In the meantime Ford is barely ramped up on this product.

• Like 1

I agree the Expedition today is the better product but that may change in 24 months. In the meantime Ford is barely ramped up on this product.

What people were perceiving as a slow ramp up was in fact Ford hitting the limit of production capacity,

the double pronged sword of a popular Super Duty and now the SUV side hits the go button in one plant.

The question is whether 25% increase will be enough.....

In 24 mnths im sure gm will release theur dramatically improved fs suvs, but most likely a refreshed expy will be out by 2021 my. That said, the ford has fundamentally brrn a better product than the gms but gm did a good job updating what needed to, the interior and exterior appearance.

Ummm not buying this.

They have upgraded this product way more than Ford and you cannot disagree with the sales volume GM leads by. They have killed Ford the past 10 plus years in this segment, allowing them to generate so much more money....

You don't think GM has rested rested on their laurels? Have you driven a Tahoe or Escalade? They aren't that great. The 5.3 V8 is not a good engine. Oil consumption and AFM issues are abundant. They do decent at hauling and towing but the ride is jittery. They have always been small in the back due to lack of IRS.

I think their sales are more to do with Ford completely ignoring the Expedition and Navigator for more than a decade and the lack of true competition in this segment. Sure, they have given them mild refreshes (mostly based on what they were doing with the Silverado) and updates that included keeping powertrain fresh(er) but they weren't doing anything ground breaking at all. Ford had nothing to compete with the 6.2 V8 until the ecoboost refresh a couple years ago. In my opinion, they are really the only two options in the segment. The Sequoia was just okay when it came out but it too has been neglected and really only serves any purpose other than to fill a slot for the folks that only look at Toyota (much like their pickup truck). You can pretty much say the same thing for the Nissan. Both aren't as big either. The Durango isn't a competitor either and we all know that.

From the folks I know at GM, the Expedition and Navigator were better than they expected. There are rumors that they were going to to keep the live axle but decided once seeing the Expedition decided to do IRS. This allegedly has delayed the launch date. This is a rumor so I don't know if it is true. We'll see how GM does with their NG models. It is going to be hard for them to leapfrog Ford but I do see them coming close. You got to love competition!!!! The lack thereof is why I think GM has dominated this segment.

• Like 1

From the folks I know at GM, the Expedition and Navigator were better than they expected. There are rumors that they were going to to keep the live axle but decided once seeing the Expedition decided to do IRS. This allegedly has delayed the launch date. This is a rumor so I don't know if it is true. We'll see how GM does with their NG models. It is going to be hard for them to leapfrog Ford but I do see them coming close. You got to love competition!!!! The lack thereof is why I think GM has dominated this segment.

I've heard this as well but that only the Denali and Escalade are delayed as only those models will be getting the IRS. Tahoe and Yukon will still have a solid rear axle.

You don't think GM has rested rested on their laurels? Have you driven a Tahoe or Escalade? They aren't that great. The 5.3 V8 is not a good engine. Oil consumption and AFM issues are abundant. They do decent at hauling and towing but the ride is jittery. They have always been small in the back due to lack of IRS.

The Durango isn't a competitor either and we all know that.

From the folks I know at GM, the Expedition and Navigator were better than they expected. There are rumors that they were going to to keep the live axle but decided once seeing the Expedition decided to do IRS. This allegedly has delayed the launch date. This is a rumor so I don't know if it is true. We'll see how GM does with their NG models. It is going to be hard for them to leapfrog Ford but I do see them coming close. You got to love competition!!!!

The Escalade gets IRS and an optional ttv8 while the Yukon and Tahoe keeps the SRA and ohv v8's. GM been good and quiet on how much power the revised 5.3/6.2 will have.

FCA is rumoured to have a Chrysler badged/Ram 1500 based suv along with Grand Wagoner for Expedition/Nav competition, Durango will get more sportier. Don't think the competition is standing still.

Edited by Fgts
  • Like 1

The Escalade gets IRS and an optional ttv8 while the Yukon and Tahoe keeps the SRA and ohv v8's. GM been good and quiet on how much power the revised 5.3/6.2 will have.

FCA is rumoured to have a Chrysler badged/Ram 1500 based suv along with Grand Wagoner for Expedition/Nav competition, Durango will get more sportier. Don't think the competition is standing still.

I don't think the competition IS standing still now. You could argue that between 2008-2018 most of the competition in this segment has been standing still. FCA is just now getting into this segment 20 years late. Durango is an Explorer competitor.