FORD DRIVERS SWEEP THE TOP 4 SPOTS AT THE CLASH

blksn8k2

Yeah, a lot of commentators have been saying something similar since the start of Speedweeks. Ford is way too secretive about everything they do. I get all the stuff about having a competitive advantage but you can get carried away with that nonsense to the point where you drive business away. That should never be the goal of any business.

• Like 1

Yeah, a lot of commentators have been saying something similar since the start of Speedweeks. Ford is way too secretive about everything they do. I get all the stuff about having a competitive advantage but you can get carried away with that nonsense to the point where you drive business away. That should never be the goal of any business.

So they should just put Chevy engines in everything like they do in ARCA and now the truck series? Talk about driving business away!

If you can't beat 'em wreck 'em. #3 racing the same way Sr. did.

It was a long wait before the replay,but after watching it a couple times it was obvious to me Dillon moved his front to the left rear quarter "classic pit manuever" and took him out. He had plenty of room to slide down ....but didn't. He dumped him to win. Can you imagine if Almirola had dumped the #3 car like that for the win.....beer cans, swearing , throwing debris from the Earnhardt Tantrum fans!

Edited by bdegrand

It was a long wait before the replay,but after watching it a couple times it was obvious to me Dillon moved his front to the left rear quarter "classic pit manuever" and took him out. He had plenty of room to slide down ....but didn't. He dumped him to win. Can you imagine if Almirola had dumped the #3 car like that for the win.....beer cans, swearing , throwing debris from the Earnhardt Tantrum fans!

during his interview on track before the slide through the grass I noticed some stuff being thrown his way over the fence. I laughed.

during his interview on track before the slide through the grass I noticed some stuff being thrown his way over the fence. I laughed.

There will always be controversies, but it was unusual how they delayed the replay of the last lap until a couple commercials and unending celebrations from the Earnhardt fans. I wish they would have shown the overhead shot where Dillon first was square on Almirola's rear...then slid over just enough to place the hit.

How about the 32 team showing some speed at the plate tracks the last few races? That was cool to see them racing for the win until they got taken out. They could have have been fine until the 88 came down the track like a wrecking ball.

Matt got good press from the Fox crew. As for Dillon-he did say words to the effect.."i was going for the win and I would expect him to do the same to me." I expect he will get his wish sooner than he would hope for.

All in all a good showing by the Fords IMO.

As for the truck series, can't understand how Ford can be paying to have the oval on a GM powered vehicle. Maybe the France "family crest" should be displayed instead.

• Like 1

Matt got good press from the Fox crew. As for Dillon-he did say words to the effect.."i was going for the win and I would expect him to do the same to me." I expect he will get his wish sooner than he would hope for.

All in all a good showing by the Fords IMO.

As for the truck series, can't understand how Ford can be paying to have the oval on a GM powered vehicle. Maybe the France "family crest" should be displayed instead.

Anybody know a place (web site??) where Ford fans can register negative opinions regarding the trend for Ford to support GM "spec" powered Ford labeled race cars? I understand all the stated rationale behind these changes; but after decades of supporting Ford racers and buying Ford cars, I don't like it and I'd like to tell somebody at Ford.

• Like 1

Anybody know a place (web site??) where Ford fans can register negative opinions regarding the trend for Ford to support GM "spec" powered Ford labeled race cars? I understand all the stated rationale behind these changes; but after decades of supporting Ford racers and buying Ford cars, I don't like it and I'd like to tell somebody at Ford.

I think you just did. But nothing will happen! I know it sucks, but Ford doesn't seem to care. They are actually giving the teams assistance. Go figure. I guess it's okay to put an LS motor in your classic Ford after all.

General Motors is steamrolling American auto racing in very many important ways and forms.

Virtually any series that does spec engines they go straight to the LS engine. There is no production line answer for that.

You aren't for some reason ever going to see the Coyote allowed to run head to head with pushrod engines.

Several years ago Robert Yates said that going to the Modular Ford engine at that time would solve many problems inherent to traditional pushrod engines.

Ford has lost their pride. They don't think we care. Matter of fact there are less and less people that do care.

Ford has been taking it in the tailpipe with other people's engines for so long I think they are starting to enjoy it.

It's part of the culture for cripes sakes!

I'll give you how ingrained the Gm powered Ford is. Over on the "Ford Barn" there are two threads pertaining to engine swaps in 1939 Ford Coupes. This is unusual because the Ford Barn is generally a restorers forum with some talk about upgrades on Flathead engines etc.

Well of the two threads one person asked for advice on installing a Y-block Ford in his Coupe the other is centered around installing an early Olds engine in a '39 Coupe.

By far the Olds topic was supported by many members on that forum. In the Y-block thread there was discouragement towards the interested party and derogatory opinions of the Y-block in general.

These guys that enthusiastically backed the Gm engine install were that way because that's what they did in the 50's. This is the traditional path they took for a variety of reasons and now they get all excited when someone wants to recreate that.

There's more to it but the larger point is this is a forum that I thought was compromised of Ford enthusiasts interested in all things Ford. Turns out I'm wrong again, these guys don't give a f**k about sentiment of the brand.

I know of no other enthusiast group that exists around a motor vehicle that seems to love the bastardization of said vehicle like these so called "Ford guys".

The absolute shame in all this is that these beautiful cars are ruined in the process in my opinion and I haven't seen much evidence of anyone caring all that much.

For gosh sakes Edsel, Bill and Henry III are still integral in the Motor Company and I don't ever think I've heard a peep out of any of them.

Matter of fact the former head of Gm performance had a '40 Ford Coupe with a (you guessed it) Gm performance engine under the hood.

How's that for a nice Legacy for Ford?

Well at least I "saved" my '34 3 window coupe from the dreaded Chevy engine. When I first looked at it, it had a SBC in it. I told the guy pull the engine deduct $500 from the price and I'll take it. It's all steel with fiberglass fenders. It has a '89 5.0L out of a Mustang GT in it now. Hate seeing the old iron with SBC engines.

• Like 2

A long time ago I ran into a guy with a '40 Ford pickup with a 5.0 Mustang engine in it. So I was talking to him about it ad he was raving that he replaced a 350 Chevy that was in it with the 5.0 and now it runs better and got better fuel mileage. By "runs better" he meant it was faster.

Never forget that guy and his truck.

• Like 1

Funny how people will compare the 350 Chevy to the Ford 302 instead of the 351. I bet there's a reason why...

The whole GM engine swap thing is a huge part of the "bro" car culture. People put an LS in everything because that's what everybody else expects them to do. I think the same thing is happening to the car collecting and car show culture that the France family is doing to Nascar. People get sick and tired of seeing the same crap over and over again.

I gave up on Nascar in 2002 when it started turning into Napcar.

We are all disappointed with racing in general but what is Ford going to do about it? They aren't allowed to race their main engine because its OHC and everybody knows they would mop the floor with the competition. Heaven forbid legitimate competition and innovation push racing into the 21st century out of the pushrod era. John Mihovetz is doing incredible things with the Modular considering the limited aftermarket. He has shown that there's potential but very few places to showcase it.

• Like 1

"We are all disappointed with racing in general but what is Ford going to do about it? They aren't allowed to race their main engine because its OHC and everybody knows they would mop the floor with the competition. Heaven forbid legitimate competition and innovation push racing into the 21st century out of the pushrod era. John Mihovetz is doing incredible things with the Modular considering the limited aftermarket. He has shown that there's potential but very few places to showcase it."

Back when the Flathead Ford was king, sanctioning bodies welcomed the new overhead engines to enter competition without any weight adjustments, nor "BOPs" to "level" the playing field. They allowed innovation to occur naturally; and let the chips fall where they may. In recent decades, they make rules to maintain the status quo to protect investment in existing technology.