2021 Mustang on CD6

The risk is that if you become a niche product faster than your competitors you will lose market share in the process. Then, unless you have some compelling differentiator in your products you're going to be among the companies that are culled as things collapse and consolidate.

Seriously people need to stop dreaming for their favorite discontinued nameplates to come back. This is not Ford Motor Company of 20 or more years ago.

Really? Mach1?

It might be more accurate to tell people to be careful what they wish for.

Cougar is probably dead because of the popular connotation. Falcon would be more appropriate for a performance electric SUV than Mach1.

• Like 1

If CD6 is used for the Mustang it will be interesting to see how they differentiate it to meet the performance targets expected of a Mustang.

Why wouldn’t the other CD6 vehicles have the same performance expectations? It should support any drivetrain and performance suspensions. That’s one of the benefits - you can share those high performance bits with the utilities and sedans. What makes the Mustang faster is that it’s smaller and lighter.

The risk is that if you become a niche product faster than your competitors you will lose market share in the process. Then, unless you have some compelling differentiator in your products you're going to be among the companies that are culled as things collapse and consolidate.

Sometimes you make more money losing market share. I have a feeling Ford isn’t happy with the returns on Fusion given how much competition is out there. It used to be just Camcord but now Hyundai, Kia and Nissan are in the mix and lots of discounting. Accord is even offering discounts on the brand new Accord - that used to never happen.

I don’t think there is any risk of the utility market going away. If anything it should continue growing with more hybrids.

• Like 1

Why wouldnt the other CD6 vehicles have the same performance expectations? It should support any drivetrain and performance suspensions. Thats one of the benefits - you can share those high performance bits with the utilities and sedans. What makes the Mustang faster is that its smaller and lighter.

I didn't say anything about CD6 having shortcomings being a versatile platform. However, I don't believe an Explorer is ever going to have the same high performance targets as the best Mustang so certainly the Mustang version of the platform is going to be tweaked to meet it's target and I am simply curious how it will be different. I never said it can't be done. It's a lot more complex than just shortening the platform.

Edited by StangBang

Really? Mach1?

It might be more accurate to tell people to be careful what they wish for.

Cougar is probably dead because of the popular connotation. Falcon would be more appropriate for a performance electric SUV than Mach1.

My immediate relating of the nameplate Mach 1 is that version of the Mustang and the series of show cars with the same name. Using Mach1 as a name, I expect a sports car "faster than the speed of sound" or at least be among the fastest Fords in existence. It can be gas or electric, hybrid whatever but if it shows up looking like a crossover transporting families then Mach1 is a big fking no! Edited by StangBang

I didn't say anything about CD6 having shortcomings being a versatile platform. However, I don't believe an Explorer is ever going to have the same high performance targets as the best Mustang so certainly the Mustang version of the platform is going to be tweaked to meet it's target and I am simply curious how it will be different. I never said it can't be done. It's a lot more complex than just shortening the platform.

Which is why all signs are pointing to it being more of a modular architecture like akirby has pointed out several times (a-la Toyotas TGNA or what VW has been doing with Audi) than a traditional platform. Edited by fuzzymoomoo

My guess no CD6 Fusion if we get it it will be a stretched Focus. May get a midsized CD6 but an upmarket one (Thunderbird?) No Cougar to redundant unless they used that for the MKZ when it gets a name and I doubt that.

I figured the Fusion would be on new CD6 but only if the architecture supports the transverse layout for front drive/AWD applications. I doubt they would do Fusion if the CD6 is only longitudinal layout with possibility for front drive/AWD. I can see next Fusion being on stretched next gen Focus. But no one knows yet since Ford has not announced yet what is happening to the Fusion.

Interesting about a possible Cougar return and why not label it as Mercury and sell it at Lincoln dealers?, maybe the non-Lincoln sedan is a Cougar sedan. The "Pontiac" ideal had been kicked around as just 2 performance models only (GTO and G8) in GMC/Buick showrooms. Who knows?, that still might happen.

I do wanna be clear and say that there have not been any rumors I know of regarding the Cougar. It was just my own proposal on how Ford could approach this. I highly doubt they will.

Re: Explorer going aluminum

People who work in Chicago have confirmed this is NOT happening.

Thanks for telling me this. I figured they would to save on weight and give a little more performance advantage especially the ST trim. I had thought they were going to do aluminum for Explorer in addition to the next Ranger within 3-4 years after 2019 for that next generation of it as well as the Bronco that comes after that within 4-5 years from now. That way, all pickups and large and midsize SUVs could be aluminum to help allocate the costs of the material. I also wanna be sure everyone knows that I do not know for sure that Ford is going full aluminum route for Ranger by around 2023; it's just a presumption on my part.

Why wouldn’t the other CD6 vehicles have the same performance expectations? It should support any drivetrain and performance suspensions. That’s one of the benefits - you can share those high performance bits with the utilities and sedans. What makes the Mustang faster is that it’s smaller and lighter.

Exactly. This will give advantage to the Explorer with its ST trim at a lower cost for Ford while boosting profits.

My immediate relating of the nameplate Mach 1 is that version of the Mustang and the series of show cars with the same name. Using Mach1 as a name, I expect a sports car "faster than the speed of sound" or at least be among the fastest Fords in existence. It can be gas or electric, hybrid whatever but if it shows up looking like a crossover transporting families then Mach1 is a big fking no!

So an electric crossover with Mustang-like performance wouldnt be good for you?

• Like 1

CD6 is not a chassis - it’s a modular architecture supporting different wheelbases and widths.

We already knew that because of the Explorer news that broke 2 weeks ago

There's a difference between "knowing" something and having it confirmed by someone who actually knows. Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen any actual confirmation that the next Explorer will be RWD, just speculation, and none of the spy shots have shown the engine layout or the rear axle.

If they want to keep Fusion FWD and hybrid and capable I think it makes more sense to put it on a longer C3 platform like Honda does with Accord and Civic.

Yes, this makes sense. Is the C3 platform what the current Focus is on or is it the next one coming 2019/2020? I know the current Fusion is on CD4 but I doubt they'll keep it on that unless they choose to do so to keep costs low and redesign the body and re-package everything else.

There's a difference between "knowing" something and having it confirmed by someone who actually knows. Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen any actual confirmation that the next Explorer will be RWD, just speculation, and none of the spy shots have shown the engine layout or the rear axle.

there was those Explorer ST articles that came out, and our very own Decker confirmed RWD but that may have been in the employee forum so Im not surprised a lot of you missed it.
  • Like 1

It was confirmed by a reputable insider at least 18 months ago. The spy shot proportions indicate RWD and there have been several other confirmations in various forms. It’s as close as we’ll get to confirmation short of an official Ford announcement.