Refreshed Transit Connect at Chicago 2018

2.0 is still used in Ford's hybrids so I imagine that will continue. And given that Transit Connect and EcoSport are two new applications using the engine, I think Ford is just consolidating the number of non-EB I4 down to this single one.

The more interesting question to ponder is what else will receive the 1.5 EcoBlue in the US market? Surely Ford didn't Federalize this engine just to sell a few thousand vans a year. Ford must have bigger plans for this engine... next gen Focus and Escape perhaps?

The 2.0 used in hybrids is slightly different than the one used in the Focus. Im not sure exactly whats technically different but I can see the difference when theyre hanging on the Assembly line.

From Autoblog

The diesel is by far the most interesting aspect of the new Transit Connect. It uses a new 1.5-liter engine that has only just recently been introduced to Europe in the overseas version of the EcoSport crossover. The block and heads are all-aluminum, and it features a variable-geometry turbo and water-to-air intercooler. Output isn't enormous at about 120 horsepower and 200 pound-feet of torque, but it should be quite usable, with peak torque arriving at just 1,700 rpm.

Whoa ! A diesel with and aluminum head and block !!

Hybrid 2.0 is port fuel injection Atkinson cycle. Focus 2.0 is Direct Injection.

My bet is that the new 2.0 will NOT be direct injected. DI do NOT meet future particulate emission standards and in the US do not get measurably better fuel economy.

My bet is that the new 2.0 will NOT be direct injected. DI do NOT meet future particulate emission standards and in the US do not get measurably better fuel economy.

They could always add a port injection system to help with the emissions and well if it gets better MPGs then the 2.5L I4 with just a little bit less power, why not keep using it?

the head is different too

As I understand it, the rotating assembly is different as well. I'm possibly going to tear down a Mariner hybrid to rebuild this spring and I've been doing research. Looks like there is two rods from the piston to the crank, IIRC.

I would really like to see the Transit Connect get the 2.0EB and AWD as an option. The "overland expedition" & "stealth camper" type people would love it. They are currently buying up old Honda Elements and turning them into mini campers. Some have tried using Transit Connects and many more would like to, but the lack of AWD holds them back.

e-camper-red.jpg

• Like 1

From Autoblog

Whoa ! A diesel with and aluminum head and block !!

Yep, the new Panther (Ecoblue) diesels in 1.5 and 2.0 liter are making phenomenal power and torque,

the 2.0 twin turbo going into Ranger raptor will be 210 HP and 369 lb ft...more powerful than some 1980s V8s.

Alumimum in diesel is the next step in light weighting small engines, much easier to machine than CGI

and now that Ford has perfected PTAW, maybe all the advantages of cast iron and CGI are moot....

Maxda's Skyative technology would disagree, a replaceable particle filter is about $50.........

Edited by jpd80