2019 Edge Titanium Elite

You just dated yourself there. ;) But seriously, that shows that you (and your siblings) were riding around without car seats. Guys like Fuzzy and myself can't really do that with our kids 40 years later.

Our 57 chevy truck had no seatbelts...75bux we paid the junkyard for it...

New edge looks good too

Edited by snooter

We're in the same boat. I've been looking at Expeditions for a while now, and a new one today starts a nice $20K more than ten years ago. (Before anyone asks, that number only drops to $13K when adjusted for inflation.)

Yeah - Our cars are on a ten year cycle and shifted by 5 years. The Flex will be coming up in a couple years and an Expedition would be the leading (Ford) candidate, but man the pricing is steep.

LED headlights are standard on all 2019 Edges.

With the new lighting and safety rating on the sticker both head and taillights will be updated on new vehicles

Hope theyre better than the headlights on my 2015 Titanium - They stink.

• Like 1

Hope theyre better than the headlights on my 2015 Titanium - They stink.

With the Headlight/Taillight ratings right on the window sticker it will be stupid for manufactures not to have LED headlamps/Amber Rear Turn signals and Auto highbeams.on their vehicles for 2019 MY. When one vehicle gets 2.5 or 3 starts and the other 5 that will most certainly sway some car shoppers, plus when you average out all the stars it can be the difference between a 4 or 4.5 vs a 5 star overall rating. Toss in that the LED Head and Taillights get you CAFE credits and it becomes a no brainer to offer them.

​One issue with headlights was the difference between CR and now IIHS is they have different test standards. IIHS is more similar to the UN standard for lighting. Canada is also in the process of updating their lighting laws as well and will be moving away from the US standard over to the UN/World standard.

​The Current and even Former Edge (2011-2014) has horrid headlights unless you got the HID's though those just blind oncoming drivers.

Edited by jasonj80

Henry Ford's vision was Model T and then A, etc. Henry Ford II then brought out the 1965 LTD, "quieter than a Rolls Royce", and changed everything.

Model A was Edsels' vision...Henry wanted to continue making Model T's despite competition at that time that was surpassing it...Hank the Deuce created the great Brougham epoch when the 1965 LTD was released...

• Like 2

With the Headlight/Taillight ratings right on the window sticker it will be stupid for manufactures not to have LED headlamps/Amber Rear Turn signals and Auto highbeams.on their vehicles for 2019 MY. When one vehicle gets 2.5 or 3 starts and the other 5 that will most certainly sway some car shoppers, plus when you average out all the stars it can be the difference between a 4 or 4.5 vs a 5 star overall rating. Toss in that the LED Head and Taillights get you CAFE credits and it becomes a no brainer to offer them.

​One issue with headlights was the difference between CR and now IIHS is they have different test standards. IIHS is more similar to the UN standard for lighting. Canada is also in the process of updating their lighting laws as well and will be moving away from the US standard over to the UN/World standard.

​The Current and even Former Edge (2011-2014) has horrid headlights unless you got the HID's though those just blind oncoming drivers.

Making a vehicle look like a death trap (2.5 or 3 stars) because it has some headlights that point a bit too high is misleading and deceitful, IMO.

Making a vehicle look like a death trap (2.5 or 3 stars) because it has some headlights that point a bit too high is misleading and deceitful, IMO.

It is not that they point to high, NHTSA is looking more at lumens on the road, and proper use of high-beams; IIHS is more with the aimed high rating, but point taken. The lamp rating and features are just one of a few that will have points added to Active safety features and then all combined into the overall star rating. It is not a legally binding requirement that manufactures make the changes. If they want to save the 10 cents to $50 per vehicle and not do the appropriate the updates to receive the highest points/star rating that is on the manufacture. I don't think Lincoln is updating the Nautilus with Amber rear turn signals (The girl at NAIAS said they were red), the vehicle will just not get the points on the lighting portion for that feature and the overall vehicle score, its up to the manufactures if they want to spend the extra money on a vehicle unit for that point to be added. Ford can go we can still get 5 starts without XXX feature as we still have enough points or were happy with a 4 or 4.5 overall rating for this vehicle segment.

The star rating is basically moving from a crash test rating to an overall safety rating of both active and passive safety features. When you think about it the safest vehicle is one that never gets in the accident to begin with.

It is not that they point to high, NHTSA is looking more at lumens on the road, and proper use of high-beams; IIHS is more with the aimed high rating, but point taken. The lamp rating and features are just one of a few that will have points added to Active safety features and then all combined into the overall star rating. It is not a legally binding requirement that manufactures make the changes. If they want to save the 10 cents to $50 per vehicle and not do the appropriate the updates to receive the highest points/star rating that is on the manufacture. I don't think Lincoln is updating the Nautilus with Amber rear turn signals (The girl at NAIAS said they were red), the vehicle will just not get the points on the lighting portion for that feature and the overall vehicle score, its up to the manufactures if they want to spend the extra money on a vehicle unit for that point to be added. Ford can go we can still get 5 starts without XXX feature as we still have enough points or were happy with a 4 or 4.5 overall rating for this vehicle segment.

The star rating is basically moving from a crash test rating to an overall safety rating of both active and passive safety features. When you think about it the safest vehicle is one that never gets in the accident to begin with.

I was hoping with the revamped Nautilus taillights that the white portion (which is the brake light on MKX) would become the amber turn signal, and that the top red portion would become the brake light, with the full width bottom part the running lights (this is how Nautilus is configured).

FWIW, Navigator has amber turn signals.

I was hoping with the revamped Nautilus taillights that the white portion (which is the brake light on MKX) would become the amber turn signal, and that the top red portion would become the brake light, with the full width bottom part the running lights (this is how Nautilus is configured).

FWIW, Navigator has amber turn signals.

That's almost how the export MKX taillights work. Inner white part is 1/2 Amber, with amber on the bottom of the signal, the top part along with the the outer C part of the lamp is stop, I had also hoped this is how the Nautilus would be. The Continental function the same way on export models as the MKX. I was surprised with the changing laws the Expedition LED tail-lamps also didn't include amber, when the Navigator did, for as big as those taillights are they easily had space for the Amber portion. OEM's have known this change was coming for almost 3 years for 2019MY vehicles..

I wonder if the Edge will keep the Amber on high series models and red on lower models for 2019.

Edited by jasonj80

It is not that they point to high, NHTSA is looking more at lumens on the road, and proper use of high-beams; IIHS is more with the aimed high rating...

...The star rating is basically moving from a crash test rating to an overall safety rating of both active and passive safety features. When you think about it the safest vehicle is one that never gets in the accident to begin with.

remember seeing some nifty graphics about HL abilities ... maybe these, Audi July'17, though thought some were more recent...

NetCarShow

Audi-A8-2018-800-46.jpg

SEVERAL More @ webpage

• Like 1

That’s perfectly fine. However when you take a vehicle that scored 5 stars a decade ago but now only scores 3 or 4 stars because the criteria changed, people will look at that as if the newer vehicle is not as safe as the old one even though they are identical.

The difference between good and marginal headlamps as far as avoiding crashes has to be minuscule. Some crashes are easily avoidable regardless of headlamps and some are unavoidable no matter what. You’re talking about some obstacle that is not lighted where the difference in visibility of a few feet is the difference between hitting it or not hitting it. Extrapolate that to a percentage of all vehicle crashes and it’s really a tiny variable. Certainly not enough to warrant such a big difference in ratings. It’s weighted too heavily IMO as are some of the other requirements.

That's almost how the export MKX taillights work. Inner white part is 1/2 Amber, with amber on the bottom of the signal, the top part along with the the outer C part of the lamp is stop, I had also hoped this is how the Nautilus would be. The Continental function the same way on export models as the MKX. I was surprised with the changing laws the Expedition LED tail-lamps also didn't include amber, when the Navigator did, for as big as those taillights are they easily had space for the Amber portion. OEM's have known this change was coming for almost 3 years for 2019MY vehicles..

I wonder if the Edge will keep the Amber on high series models and red on lower models for 2019.

It's becoming mandatory to have amber turn signals in the US?

I just think it's stupid that all the Lincoln models are set up perfectly to have amber signals, but then they put the red brake/turn light in the clear part (which should be the amber spot).

It's becoming mandatory to have amber turn signals in the US?

I just think it's stupid that all the Lincoln models are set up perfectly to have amber signals, but then they put the red brake/turn light in the clear part (which should be the amber spot).

While not mandatory they get points for them in the vehicle safety rating, not sure you can achieve 5 starts on a vehicle without them. NHTSA I think gave up on making them mandatory (they have tried for years) Auto safety bills tend to get lobbied to a halt in congress as people start adding random thing to a bill or a special interest group gets involved and sinks the whole bill.

That’s perfectly fine. However when you take a vehicle that scored 5 stars a decade ago but now only scores 3 or 4 stars because the criteria changed, people will look at that as if the newer vehicle is not as safe as the old one even though they are identical.

The difference between good and marginal headlamps as far as avoiding crashes has to be minuscule. Some crashes are easily avoidable regardless of headlamps and some are unavoidable no matter what. You’re talking about some obstacle that is not lighted where the difference in visibility of a few feet is the difference between hitting it or not hitting it. Extrapolate that to a percentage of all vehicle crashes and it’s really a tiny variable. Certainly not enough to warrant such a big difference in ratings. It’s weighted too heavily IMO as are some of the other requirements.

Not seeing something when driving is a huge issue, pedestrians walking along a road shoulder etc. It leads to a hard swerve vs a gradual one, or not seeing something at all before its too late. When looking at the difference in IIHS ratings you would see something seconds sooner with a good headlight vs a bad. Where IIHS gets it wrong with their simple rating is that a vehicle like the Explorer has a low rating because of oncoming glare not because of a distance issue. In vehicle vs vehicle some have 200ft of difference in how far low-beam headlights shine, at 80mph that is a second and a half of extra time you have to see something and at lower speeds it could be 3 or 4 second.

Edited by jasonj80

Who drives 80 mph on an unlit backroad?

I've never seen glare from an oncoming low beam that presented a safety hazard. Annoying, yes, but not unsafe. High beams are another issue.

If the Ford Edge can brake from 60-0 in 120 ft then I fail to see how a low beam effective distance of 148 ft is unsafe.

Also - the measurement of 148 ft is when the light drops below 5 lux, not when it goes to 0. That's 5 times as bright as a full moon.

Arbitrary tests and ratings that don't seem to correlate to real world scenarios.

I like the upgrades to the exterior and was already mostly impressed with this vehicle. I only wish they would do something with the IP and steering wheel. Hate the IP-just so friggin boring and cheap looking.

After looking at it for a while and wondering what's so different, it finally hit me that instead of all that black plastic, the lower body is actually painted. :doh: Looks way better to me.

Who drives 80 mph on an unlit backroad?

I've never seen glare from an oncoming low beam that presented a safety hazard. Annoying, yes, but not unsafe. High beams are another issue.

If the Ford Edge can brake from 60-0 in 120 ft then I fail to see how a low beam effective distance of 148 ft is unsafe.

Also - the measurement of 148 ft is when the light drops below 5 lux, not when it goes to 0. That's 5 times as bright as a full moon.

Arbitrary tests and ratings that don't seem to correlate to real world scenarios.

Maybe not on a back road but surly people drive 70/80 mph on an interstate, that is going around a chunk of debris or large pothole. You're not factoring in reaction time which is going to be at least a second from the moment you notice it until you have processed it and moved to slam on the brake, swerve or just continue on. That is exactly the point, with good headlights you would see it and could stop in time or at least greatly mitigate the accident., with bad bad lights you would be just hitting the brake at the moment of impact. Your vehicle is traveling at 117 ft per second at 80 mph. and 103 ft per second at 70mph. It takes an Edge 178 feet to stop from 70mph, every second is going to count.

Who what?!?

I'm thinking he was confused and meant to post that in the Traverse RS thread...

​I think that was to be posted in a thread about the Chevy Traverse RS/Powertrain lineup... Only guess I got.

How 'bout we combine the threads and then, just for kicks, move it to another forum thread?

Edited by twintornados
  • Like 3