Uber and Lyft want you banned from using your own self-driving car in urban areas

Back to autonomous vehicles for a minute. I was driving back from Wisconsin this weekend during a snow/sleet storm and I was using by adaptive cruise control when it stopped working. A warning message came up stating the sensor was blocked. When I arrived at my destination the front of the truck was covered with ice. I have an aftermarket bumper so the sensor was relocated higher in the grill which in my opinion would actually be a safer place than the stock location, and less likely to accumulate snow/ice.

I imagine autonomous vehicles will use sensors similar to these, so how are these vehicles going to manage a situation like that which will surely happen?

Ford's lead engineer for autonomous vehicles, Jim McBride, mentioned the company is using 3D mapping technology to supplement sensors in their autonomous vehicles. McBride says redundant systems are the key to managing situations like snowy or icy weather. In Ford's tests, the 3D map data enabled their autonomous test cars to "see" even when the sensors, cameras, radar, and lidar could not. http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/mobility/2017/10/25/robotic-car-developers-testing-snow-ice/106979218/

Well, the car may know where to go based on the map, but what I didnt mention was that prior to this message, I had changed lanes and was approaching a vehicle faster than what I felt was normal operation of the ACC, so I put on the breaks myself. Maybe it would have stopped but I didnt think it felt like it was slowing like it should. Lets just say it didnt give me a lot of confidence.

Perhaps the sensors need to be heated to help mitigate this kind of issue, similar to how a heated mirror works.

Nevertheless, I feel like there is still much work to be done in order to gain the confidence of the driver/rider.

Back to autonomous vehicles for a minute. I was driving back from Wisconsin this weekend during a snow/sleet storm and I was using by adaptive cruise control when it stopped working. A warning message came up stating the sensor was blocked. When I arrived at my destination the front of the truck was covered with ice. I have an aftermarket bumper so the sensor was relocated higher in the grill which in my opinion would actually be a safer place than the stock location, and less likely to accumulate snow/ice.

I imagine autonomous vehicles will use sensors similar to these, so how are these vehicles going to manage a situation like that which will surely happen?

I had my ACC disabled this summer during an extremely heavy rainstorm. Actually, now that I think about it, we were coming through Wisconsin as well, so maybe it's just the state. :)

You can probably get around 99.999% of situations using redundant sensors, gps, etc. It’s that 0.001% that’s going to be damn near impossible to overcome and given the number of miles that Americans drive every year that’s actually a very large number. GPS may keep you on the road but as tbone points out that won’t stop you from hitting a vehicle in front of you. I suspect in that situation the vehicle would have to stop or pull over to the side of the road (if it could figure out how to do that without sensors).

one "advantage" to them using the virtual-railroad method (smart-city, smart-highway)

instead of artificial-autonoM.O.U.S.E.ly letting individual vehicles "decide"

is

the suits in charge can shut the whole system down with a push of a button.

Just like they can close the Sierra passes while staying warm & dry in town...

...who cares about people stuck out there without warning

• 2 weeks later...

No, Dominos has been for a while. It was Postmates that was the new announcement this year.

It looks like Ford announced it in August of last year, but they had another announcement about Domino's and self-driving delivery vehicles at NAIAS or CES of this year. It was covered in the tech press.