Ford January 2018 Sales Down 6.6%; Lincoln Sales Plummet 27%

We have a morning management meeting every day to review pending deals and to make sure that all departments are on the same page to ensure that vehicles are prepped, detailed, etc. on schedule for delivery. At that same time it's an opportunity to discuss any other business matters in an open forum. Yesterday morning the Dealer Principal was talking about Ford CEO Hackett being on the cover of Automotive News the past few weeks. Each article mentions Hackett talking to Wall Street and other business audiences and after he talks, the audience shakes their heads asking what he was talking about. Hackett is quickly becoming more of a liability than Mark Fields. Ford's stock will continue to be "weak" as long as Wall Street thinks that there's no real leadership at Ford. The guy built office furniture and now wants Ford to use Tesla as its operating model.

Thats terrifying
  • Like 2

I'm reminded of the Mulally years where a warm and friendly Mulally would reassure the media that

Ford wasn't going broke and was on track to recovery. Quarter after Quarter, the analysts would

underestimate Ford's result - that pessimism came from not understanding how Ford operated.

I believe the same is true today, Hackett's inability to communicate to the media is not seen by

the board or Bill Ford to be an impediment in reforming Ford internally, Wall Street's opinion

and analyst gradings would then become lagging indicators instead of investment forecasts

• Like 1

oh the Irony....I previously mentioned one MAJOR reason was Fords programs, the Fusion specifically...payments, SAME car , SAME structure $100 more a month....gee, wonder if the NEW $189 a month program I saw advertised this morning is a reaction to slow sales.....

• 2 weeks later...

After so many years of multiple recalls and well documented problems with the fusion I am not surprised to see it's sales drop by that much. Design is 5 years old now and still they haven't fixed all the issues. My Brother has a fusion and I have never seen so many recalls and tsb's on any car ever. It seems like every week he gets a letter from ford for yet another problem. Look at the door latch issue that's been ongoing since 2015my f150's were introduced and yet Ford still hangs on to the poor design of the latches. It's the battle of building your car with 30,000 parts all made by the lowest bidder.

• Like 1

After so many years of multiple recalls and well documented problems with the fusion I am not surprised to see it's sales drop by that much. Design is 5 years old now and still they haven't fixed all the issues. My Brother has a fusion and I have never seen so many recalls and tsb's on any car ever. It seems like every week he gets a letter from ford for yet another problem. Look at the door latch issue that's been ongoing since 2015my f150's were introduced and yet Ford still hangs on to the poor design of the latches. It's the battle of building your car with 30,000 parts all made by the lowest bidder.

I'll never understand why it's so hard to convince people that paying a little more for something that won't break, or have to be replaced later on (or at least for much much later on) is cheaper in the long run than constant nagging issues that always result from cheaping out.

The Japanese built a reputation for quality and whether or not that's still true... it's earned them a helluva reputation that persists to this day. There are still people who think Detroit only builds trash.

Ford needs to take what it's accomplished with F-Series and apply those lessons learned to the rest of the company.

Edited by probowler
  • Like 1

strange comment "well documented issues"...Ive had 4 in the household...not ONE issue.....we have a fleet of hybrids as service loaners....not ONE issue, and based on how many Ive sold, I cant recall anything aside from Sync reflashes that jump to mind as an "on going issue"....cars have a great rap amoungst owners, and most are repeat buyers...

Well I would have been a little concerned if the door latch had failed on the road and my wife was dead on the side of the road.

Sorry, didn’t mean to get dramatic there but that is a serious issue and all of the other issues like throttle bodies, gas tanks, purge valves, Transmission sensors, etc. may not leave you stranded but they shouldn’t be happening.

• Like 1

Look up Anecdotal evidence. There are plenty of serious problems out there occurring far too frequently on both Fusion, Edge and Escape just to name a few. I think we had the door latches replaced on the Escape, Fusion and MKX.

Door latches are a big problem on the Focus too but it gets overshadowed by the transmission issues

I've had my gas tank (faulty) & door latches (recall) replaced on My Focus.

If the dealer service dept wasn't so inept, that would have only ended up in 2 trips, not 6. (Not to mention 2 trips for a simple alignment because apparently your steering wheel is supposed to point up not sideways when you give it back to then customer).

I finally began going to a dealer near my work for service. Much better.

• Like 1

weird, my experience, and judging by the lack of fusions in the service dept must be an anomoly....I had the coolant recall done on my ST as well when she was in for an oil change...no latch issues, and being a manual, no trans issues....which i DID have when I had a couple of auto Fiestas...my point is, get used to it, recalls are a way of life ( thankyou toyota to name but one ) but Ive never had any that have left me stranded...NONE...