Ford January 2018 Sales Down 6.6%; Lincoln Sales Plummet 27%

Looks like Toyota is taking the market share.

Toyota's sales rose 16.8 percent in January. It noted strong demand for its pickup trucks and SUVs, plus its revamped Camry passenger car, which was up more than 21 percent.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/01/automakers-post-mixed-january-vehicle-sales-suvs-in-favor.html

Haven't seen a single new Expedition on the road yet - and I live in the land of over-the-top suburban SUV's. I think the Ford brand has fallen off the shopping list for many.

Edited by Kev-Mo
  • Like 2

http://shareholder.ford.com/~/media/Files/F/Ford-IR-V2/events-and-presentations/2018/january-2018-sales-v1.pdf

1IKF7kO.jpg

9fU0EmS.jpg

fhl95f9.jpg

What the heck happened to Lincoln? Everything but Navigator down, some pretty substantially....MKX down 1,000 units??

Not many bright spots. F-series eeked out a slight gain, but that's about it for positives.

You are seeing some of the fruit of Fields starting to sprout in regards to Lincoln, sales wise. They needed the 8 speed when they introduced the 2017 Continental and 2017 MKZ. Plus, MKC refresh needed to be done for MY 18 and with an 8 speed as well. I don't care if the joint venture 8 speed wasn't ready. Get a getrag or another suppliers in there while their 8/9 was being developed. It's all about product, stupid (not you, but just saying in general)! I don't have much hope for the MKC's refresh either. The Nautilus has a fighters chance with the new front and 8 speed, I just hope they up the engine offerings. I thoroughly disagree with them offering the same base engine as the Edge in the Nautilus.

Edited by jcartwright99
  • Like 2

Ford sales are down vs 2017 because they had that "front loaded" rental delivery last year.

Lincoln sales are down probably because lower inventory? Hard to tell because there is no separate Lincoln inventory stats but maybe the 2017 MKC and MKX are running thin on the ground and the facelift 2018 MKC and Nautilus are not here yet.

Looks like Ford had a huge E-series fleet order delivery this month.

Also, I'm predicting Toyota will finally outsell Ford this year. Based on the trend from the last 6 months, Ford's hold on #2 is a thing of past. Unless they really go crazy and blow out the final batch of Focus to rental fleet or something like that.

Edited by bzcat

Ford sales are down vs 2017 because they had that "front loaded" rental delivery last year.

Lincoln sales are down probably because lower inventory? Hard to tell because there is no separate Lincoln inventory stats but maybe the 2017 MKC and MKX are running thin on the ground and the facelift 2018 MKC and Nautilus are not here yet.

Looks like Ford had a huge E-series fleet order delivery this month.

Also, I'm predicting Toyota will finally outsell Ford this year. Based on the trend from the last 6 months, Ford's hold on #2 is a thing of past. Unless they really go crazy and blow out the final batch of Focus to rental fleet or something like that.

When do MKC and Nautilus arrive? Not until summer right? Apparently MKC is summer, and Nautilus is fall, according to C&D and Motortrend.

Edited by rmc523

Ford numbers aren’t terrible outside of Focus and Fusion. Expy would have made up some of that volume if it was fully stocked.

ATPs are way up, so maybe they cut back on incentives which would account for some of the loss (not all obviously) - or did that bump just come from more Expedition, Navigator and F series high end sales?

But the Lincoln numbers are shocking unless they also cut way back on incentives.

I’m only seeing $1K on MKX and $0 on Continental. That would explain a lot.

Lots of things counting against Ford maintaining sales in January, some external and some internal.

The worst of it is the delay on daily rental sales but also the age of Ford's product combined with

smaller incentives, non-competitive interest rates.

Anytime Ford leads with higher than industry ATPs means that they are trading of a richer mix of F Series

sales to pull up numbers by the boot straps, I wonder how that overall ATP of $37K would look like if

we deducted those 58,000 F Series sales averaging $47,000.....probably less then $30K I'd imagine.

Q1 sales are not a good time to gauge Ford sales performance, they are a get through until retail customers

return in early spring, the biggest plus for Ford is that '17 YM sell down has gone very well for them thanks

in most part to some earlier timings.

And I bet Navigator sales were only limited to 1200 because that's all dealers could get their hands on,

similarly I suspect Expedition is still a little scarce around the place thanks to the heavy SD build mix

coming out of Kentucky Truck Plant...

Edited by jpd80

Ouch...they have nothing in regards to cars..we have tried to luv on the focus as it is time we replaced the fiesta after 6 years (nary a quality issue by the way)..they just have zilch in regards to cars..

My take on their cars is extremely negative right now. This thread has made me angry because this is further proof that Ford pushed the pause button on virtually everything except the F150 as far as real development for a while there. Fiesta I believe is a dead man walking. Taurus is a dead man walking. Focus (see above) really needed to be replaced last year. The Fusion offers nothing class leading or innovative (maybe AWD). For those that say cars aren't selling look at Toyota and Honda. People are buying cars, just not as many as before. Those folks that are buying cars don't want a car that is just average or ok, when they can go to their Honda or Toyota dealer and get class leading for the same price. Look at the specs of the Camry and Accord and compare it to the Fusion (which just got updated for 2017) and tell me there wasn't some really poor decision making going on with that update.

I've heard mixed reviews on Hackett so far. I will withhold judgement for a while but one things is for certain, he is going to have his hands full. Trying to keep current products competitive and class leading, while trying to get hybrid/electrics ready for take off can't be easy but that's why they pay him millions.

• Like 3

Regarding Honda, sales of the all-new Accord are down 9.5 percent for January

The Civic is up 2.8 percent for January.

Toyota has not hesitated to sell Camrys and Corollas to fleets, and it has not been shy about using heavy incentives to move the metal.

Honda probably provides a better picture of the true state of the retail passenger car market.

Edited by grbeck

What is the deal with the Expedition? Something tells me they cant make enough. All hot selling vehicles on 1 line does not sound like a good plan to me.

From a long term perspective it may be fine, but during the initial release it will hamper sales.

My take on their cars is extremely negative right now. This thread has made me angry because this is further proof that Ford pushed the pause button on virtually everything except the F150 as far as real development for a while there. Fiesta I believe is a dead man walking. Taurus is a dead man walking. Focus (see above) really needed to be replaced last year. The Fusion offers nothing class leading or innovative (maybe AWD). For those that say cars aren't selling look at Toyota and Honda. People are buying cars, just not as many as before. Those folks that are buying cars don't want a car that is just average or ok, when they can go to their Honda or Toyota dealer and get class leading for the same price. Look at the specs of the Camry and Accord and compare it to the Fusion (which just got updated for 2017) and tell me there wasn't some really poor decision making going on with that update.

I've heard mixed reviews on Hackett so far. I will withhold judgement for a while but one things is for certain, he is going to have his hands full. Trying to keep current products competitive and class leading, while trying to get hybrid/electrics ready for take off can't be easy but that's why they pay him millions.

Fusion is still very competitive on looks and features. That's not the problems. The problem is it's virtually unchanged in appearance for 5 years.

• Like 1

Fusion is still very competitive on looks and features. That's not the problems. The problem is it's virtually unchanged in appearance for 5 years.

The Fusion is noncompetitive in fuel economy. The 2.0 is punchy but not that frugal. The 1.5 is really underpowered but gets good MPG. The 2.5 is virtually unchanged since the 2010 model. Again, nothing class leading about the powertrain options or FE. I give you the Sport for power but that's a very niche car and has dreadful FE.

Edited by jcartwright99

note to Ford...people shop different brands and when your programs arent competitive you lose....and seriously WTF is up with this "up to $1000" in coupons program ahere the coupon amount is limited....got a few pi$$ed off customers there...quote a guy one week, run out of coupons...$1000 bump the next week....and you want CSI to be maintained at a high level??????????????

• Like 4

From a long term perspective it may be fine, but during the initial release it will hamper sales.

But that's a short term impact, and during that time ATPs will be high because you don't need incentives and you'll probably be selling more limited and platinum models.

If you hire another shift or add to another plant then you have a huge amount of fixed costs to recover from the additional volume to cover that cost, so that volume has to be really high to make that a worthwhile investment.

Adding another shift could actually result in less profit, which some people don't understand.

The Fusion is noncompetitive in fuel economy. The 2.0 is punchy but not that frugal. The 1.5 is really underpowered but gets good MPG. The 2.5 is virtually unchanged since the 2010 model. Again, nothing class leading about the powertrain options or FE. I give you the Sport for power but that's a very niche car and has dreadful FE.

But it's never had great fuel economy by comparison. That didn't stop it from selling 300K a few years ago.

• Like 1

They are going to have to use incentives to move essentially old products. I dont see any way around that. And when they arent offering incentives on those vehicles I find it quite surprising. It is a self inflicted problem, sadly.

It's sometimes better to sell 100K units with $1K incentive than 200K units with $4K incentives. It all depends on the profit margin and fixed costs. Don't get too hung up on absolute sales numbers - they don't tell the whole story.