02 Taurus steer fluid leak w/ pics

bradleyheathhays

Have an '02 Taurus SES 6 cyl that's got a steering fluid leak that I think I've been able to identify. Here's the two pics...

leak_1.jpg

leak_2.jpg

Seems to me the leak is coming from between the large nut and the fluid reservoir. I'm guessing I need to replace the black grommet?/washer you can see between the nut and the reservoir.

So my questions are...

1) What do I actually need to replace? The black grommet? And what is it properly called?

2) How do I go about backing those nuts out? Loosen the smaller one first that's closest to the line, then get the large one out? Seems like that large nut is too close to the reservoir body to get a socket around it. Guess I'd have to use some channel locks or vice grips.

and

3) Considering I'm possibly introducing air into the system, are there any special steps I should take to get it burped once everything is back together and the reservoir is filled?

Thanks from both me and Mom as this is her car.

How bad is that leak? Doesnt look very bad from the picture. But does look like its coming from that pressure fitting. The small nut is the pressure line. It has a Teflon o-ring that will need replacing when removed. Its a sized oring which means it has a tool to stretch it over the treads. You can do it with a pocket screwdriver but get a couple because you will probably break the first one. The larger nut is the fitting thats in the pump. Ive never changed that fitting. Mostly at that point we put a new pump on. But you

May be able to find a oring. The best way to get air out is use a hand vacuum pump. However, your best bet is to turn the wheel back and worth lock to lock until the fluid level stays consistent then turn all the way one direction and turn the engine off and let it sit. Eventually it will work all the air out driving it.

Leak doesn't seem too bad, but enough to be looked after. Fluid level went down about an inch over 2 weeks.

Is this the teflon o-ring you were referring to?...

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/dorman-help--4422/suspension---steering-16778/power-steering-16478/power-steering-pump-washer-15946/dorman-help-power-steering-pump-washer/82540/4532059/2002/ford/taurus

82540-007.jpg

Found it through Oreilly's drill down menu for the 02 taurus.

Also, found the washer/ring? part that fits b/t the large nut and the housing. I think it's the bottom right ring in the middle. Guy at the parts house says he can get me just that part and not the whole kit, which is what part page this pic comes from. I guess it's a washer. By the picture I'm assuming that large nut fitting is designed to come out, so hopefully I don't have too much trouble with that.

603-900-009.jpg

About that tool to stretch the teflon o-ring...is that something relatively inexpensive I can just pick up at Oreiley's? Haven't worked with something like this before.

Edited by bradleyheathhays

Yeah you are on the right track. That is the Teflon oring . I doubt you can find that oring installer cheap. I did a google for it in a kit for $100. All you are doing is stretching it enough to go over the threads. Seriously you can take a pick and start it on the threads then take a pick and stretch it by running the pick around the threads and working the oring on. Ive done it before a few times when I couldnt locate that installer.