New to me Mustang

brucelinc

I obtained some used 18" Mustang wheels and some 235/50-18 all-season tires on Craigslist. I have TPMS ordered so as soon as they arrive and I get tires mounted and balanced, maybe I can enjoy the Mustang in our cold weather. Livernois has my tune ready but I will not be flashing that until I have driven the car a bit more in stock tune. I want to be able to make a fair comparison between stock and tuned.

Based on my observations at the track and tons of research, it is clear that the IRS is not good at the dragstrip. Fortunately, the aftermarket is very active with parts and pieces to correct wheel hop and traction issues inherent in the Mustang rear suspension. I will be ordering appropriate parts before I take the car to the track. My tuned MKS and Continental could routinely beat stock Mustang GTs due to their inability to put power to the pavement. I cannot have a car that is all hat and no cattle!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have installed some upgraded aftermarket rear suspension pieces to help with traction and to reduce wheel hop. It is easy to see why drag racers prefer previous generation 'stangs with the solid axle but hopefully the parts I added will help calm the IRS jitters.

I also loaded Livernois 93 octane tune. Jeezus, I can't imagine how much tire these things need to put power to the pavement. Their E85 tune is even stronger and I have it ready to go for when the tracks open.

• Like 2

One suspension mod is a cradle bushing lockout kit that basically stiffens up the rubber bushings in the rear subframe and ties it firmly to the unibody. The other is upgraded rear suspension vertical links. Combined, these mods are supposed to reduce the IRS tendency to wheel hop and improve off the line traction. Livernois has dyno sheets showing almost a 50 HP increase with their tune but that seems unbelievable. It definitely want to rev higher and feels ultra strong above 6000 RPM.

https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP631124

The roads around here have so much dried salt on them, I really can't use more than about 1/2 throttle in 1st or 2nd without massive wheelspin so testing the tune has been impossible. We are getting a major snowstorm today so it will be awhile before I can really try out the tune.

post-34962-0-61680000-1519397106_thumb.jpg

post-34962-0-37139000-1519397166_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The roads finally dried out and I was able to further test my suspension modifications and the Livernois tune. I am very pleased with both. The car gets MUCH better traction off the line and there is no wheel hop. Before, 1st gear was basically useless and 2nd wasn't much better. Now, I can actually go WOT in the lower gears without much drama.....unless having your head slammed back into the head restraint is drama. :) The engine just screams, too. The 1-2 shift feels like it dang near lifts the front wheels off the ground! I need to watch the tach closely since 7000 RPM and beyond comes up very quickly.

I am looking forward to installing the summer tires and going to the track. The experience is so much different than my tuned Continental. The Mustang feels a lot faster but maybe I am being fooled because it is so stiff and loud. Manuals often feel faster than automatics even when they aren't. Regardless, it sure is a blast to drive.

• Like 2