Championship contending NASCAR truck series team switches to Ford

blksn8k2

Is this a good team? I dont follow the sport.

They were the 2nd best Toyota team behind KBM. All this is is Ford finding a replacement for Brad Keselowskis team after they shut down. They just happened to be upgrading in the process.

And now that Ive thought about it, Im pretty sure they were 1b with Toyota. They were pretty even with KBM.

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm. I heard mention of this a couple of days ago. It's entirely possible that NASCAR truck teams can run the optional Ilmor NT1 spec engine in any manufacturer's body.

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2018/02/01/2018-nascar-rules-updates/

For the Camping World Truck Series, the most impactful change is under the hood with the introduction of the optional NT1 engine. The Ilmor-produced powerplant, Stefanyshyn says, is intended to reduce engine development costs in the sport’s entry-level national series.

There is even one team that has all three brands in their stable. No word on whether they will run three different brand engines or the same spec engine in all three trucks.

http://www.thestate.com/sports/nascar-auto-racing/article197592304.html

Anderson will drive a Toyota at Daytona and at restrictor-plate races and a Chevrolet at intermediate and short tracks. He also acquired a Ford truck from Brad Keselowski Racing.
Edited by blksn8k2

Yes well that "Ilmor" spec engine is a Gm LS engine and the Boss 500 is more or less a Chrysler Hemi knock off mandated by the NHRA.

So I wouldn't get too excited. I wish Ford would expand on the Yates RY45 engine. If you don't already know this is really an FR9 Ford NASCAR engine with a few changes to make it useable for other purposes.

If Ford and RYR were to combine efforts on this and expand the numbers and scale of this engine, costs would come down and it could quite possibly usurp the dominance of Gm LS engine in these types of racing series.

IMG_3341.jpg

I haven't followed the ARCA racing series much lately; but after the above posts referenced the LLMOR NT1 engine, I looked it up and found that the LLMOR "spec" engine has taken over the series. I suppose the same will now happen in the truck series too. This engine is based on the GM LSX architecture which is immediately obvious by its appearance. So, there we have it. Once this engine becomes ingrained as the standard; Ford enthusiasts will have to stomach our favorite cars/drivers are GM powered. It seems to me that Roush/Yates Ford racing engines will eventually go out of business (or switch to GM). Maybe things will change in the future when Ford racers will run Ford electric motors!

• Like 1

So this then is the final coffin in the myth that there is a "Ford", "Chevy" or " Toyota" in any Nascar series????

Or I guess we Ford guys could say.."No -they are all "Fords"assuming they all have Ford 9" rears!

Seems to me that NASCAR is on the path to destroying any thought that there is any remote connection to a real production vehicle. I certainly understand the need to keep costs down, but looks like they are truly destroying any legitimacy to the thought of "brand loyalty"-unless you are convinced that 3M makes a better Ford decal than a TRD decal.

I haven't followed the ARCA racing series much lately; but after the above posts referenced the LLMOR NT1 engine, I looked it up and found that the LLMOR "spec" engine has taken over the series. I suppose the same will now happen in the truck series too. This engine is based on the GM LSX architecture which is immediately obvious by its appearance. So, there we have it. Once this engine becomes ingrained as the standard; Ford enthusiasts will have to stomach our favorite cars/drivers are GM powered. It seems to me that Roush/Yates Ford racing engines will eventually go out of business (or switch to GM). Maybe things will change in the future when Ford racers will run Ford electric motors!

Yeah, it's just a matter of time. Ford screwed up their racing engines as soon as they changed over to the Mod motor. It got to complex, to big, and to expensive. The LS is just what racers wanted. A nice small, simple, easy to package, and inexpensive engine and reliable. Never seen an LS spit out a spark plug LOL.

So this then is the final coffin in the myth that there is a "Ford", "Chevy" or " Toyota" in any Nascar series????

Or I guess we Ford guys could say.."No -they are all "Fords"assuming they all have Ford 9" rears!

Seems to me that NASCAR is on the path to destroying any thought that there is any remote connection to a real production vehicle. I certainly understand the need to keep costs down, but looks like they are truly destroying any legitimacy to the thought of "brand loyalty"-unless you are convinced that 3M makes a better Ford decal than a TRD decal.

The same thing is happening in NHRA Pro Stock.

Yeah, it's just a matter of time. Ford screwed up their racing engines as soon as they changed over to the Mod motor. It got to complex, to big, and to expensive. The LS is just what racers wanted. A nice small, simple, easy to package, and inexpensive engine and reliable. Never seen an LS spit out a spark plug LOL.

Yes well they lose camshafts and lifter with that DOD stuff.

I respectfully don't think your argument holds up. There are legions of young people building multi valve import engines. Even rotary engines. The Ford is not too complex. In the minds of the old school guys they are just too physically big for the available displacement.

Of course the superiority of a multi valve V8 more than makes up for that.

A week ago there were production based GT4 Mustangs contending for the win in the Continental Tire GS class at Daytona. There is not a problem with Ford's engines there is a problem with racing in general. Like all fools though you must first hit rock bottom or go belly up before you realize how you gutted out what people come to see.

The other big problem is that the majority of sports fans in general are getting older. The majority of younger folks can't be bothered with something that doesn't give them instant gratification. They have no interest in watching a race that lasts 500 miles or a football game that lasts three hours or sitting in a tree stand all day without seeing a monster buck like the heroes on TV do every time out. So in an effort to appeal to a younger generation the sports industry makes changes that alienate its core audience. It's kind of a no-win situation. As their fan base disappears so will the sports that fail to adapt, if that's even possible. Not many people watch chariot racing either. It's called evolution.

Edited by blksn8k2
  • Like 1

Look, when I was growing up I read every car magazines that I could get my hands on. I always looked for the Ford articles first. I always wanted to see the race results where Ford won. Pro Stock was my favorite, along with Super Stock and then Funny car. Always looking for the winner to be a Ford. And all was good back in the days when Ford Funny Cars had 427 Cammer motors then Boss 9's. The HEMI was always more prevalent but it didn't mater to me. What was more important was that Ford would beat the Chevy rat motor in Funny car. Then is SS the 428 CJ were kicking ass and in PS Glidden, Gapp and Roush, Dyno Don were my heroes. Then it all changed when NHRA started to handicap the Fords with weight penalties. Then Ford abandoned the OHV engines and over night the Ford performance went away. The Mod motor just couldn't compete. It was to small it was to big to be retrofitted into older Mustangs. Up until the Coyote the Mod motor was a real dud in NA configuration. Yes the SC Cobra Mustangs were good but still not great. The aftermarket still doesn't support the Ford motors the way they support the Chevys. This will never change they have invested heavy into the LS motors and those motors will fit into anything including older Mustangs and Fairlane's without cutting the shock towers. And there is no doubt about the cost to build an LS vs a Ford Mod / coyote motor.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if any NASCAR truck teams are actually running a Ford engine in their Ford bodied trucks? I tried searching for information about ThorSport Racing switching to Ford for 2018 but could not find anything related to what engine they are using. The best I could come up with was this statement from Ford Performance boss Mark Rushbrook. Notice there is no mention of a Ford engine.

“We’re excited that ThorSport Racing has decided to switch to a F-Series truck for the 2018 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series,” said Mark Rushbrook, global director, Ford Performance Motorsports. “ThorSport is a proven championship-level team in the series, and we look forward to providing them the aero and simulation technical support that will ensure they remain at the top level of the Truck Series.”

Another ironic bit of information is that Robert Yates Racing Engines (NOT Roush-Yates) was the sole supplier of the GM based NASCAR spec engine at one time.

It also appears that Toyota has caved as well.

http://autoweek.com/article/nascar/greater-good-toyota-accepts-nascar-truck-series-spec-engine

Does anyone know if any NASCAR truck teams are actually running a Ford engine in their Ford bodied trucks? I tried searching for information about ThorSport Racing switching to Ford for 2018 but could not find anything related to what engine they are using. The best I could come up with was this statement from Ford Performance boss Mark Rushbrook. Notice there is no mention of a Ford engine.

Another ironic bit of information is that Robert Yates Racing Engines (NOT Roush-Yates) was the sole supplier of the GM based NASCAR spec engine at one time.

It also appears that Toyota has caved as well.

http://autoweek.com/article/nascar/greater-good-toyota-accepts-nascar-truck-series-spec-engine

None of the Ford truck teams are running a Ford engine. I can't believe Ford is supporting this. Telling everyone “We’re excited that ThorSport Racing has decided to switch to a F-Series truck for the 2018 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series,” said Mark Rushbrook, global director, Ford Performance Motorsports. “ThorSport is a proven championship-level team in the series, and we look forward to providing them the aero and simulation technical support that will ensure they remain at the top level of the Truck Series.”

What a load of crap this is. 27 of the 33 Trucks are running the Illmor Chevy LS NT1

Edited by coupe3w

In some of my digging around I also saw mention of the fact that the truck series spec engine does get some performance advantages over what is allowed for the OEM engines. There is enough of an advantage that Kyle Busch asked out of his engine supply contract with Toyota for his truck teams. That supposedly prompted layoffs at the engine shop.

None of the Ford truck teams are running a Ford engine. I can't believe Ford is supporting this. Telling everyone Were excited that ThorSport Racing has decided to switch to a F-Series truck for the 2018 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series, said Mark Rushbrook, global director, Ford Performance Motorsports. ThorSport is a proven championship-level team in the series, and we look forward to providing them the aero and simulation technical support that will ensure they remain at the top level of the Truck Series.

What a load of crap this is. 27 of the 33 Trucks are running the Illmor Chevy LS NT1

Agreed. I think this is embarrassing.

I think there is a disconnect somewhere at Ford sometimes.

When the "Deuce" '32 Ford turned 75 years old there was a big hubbub over that. We all know that is the iconic hot rod.

Well Ford actually recognized and honored many '32 Fords with Gm and Chrysler power plants.

Can you imagine any other company honoring you for NOT using their stuff?

Sometimes I wonder about these guys, and it makes me doubly curious while there are still actual Ford family people in key positions within the company.

In some of my digging around I also saw mention of the fact that the truck series spec engine does get some performance advantages over what is allowed for the OEM engines. There is enough of an advantage that Kyle Busch asked out of his engine supply contract with Toyota for his truck teams. That supposedly prompted layoffs at the engine shop.

Would NASCAR have it any other way? It's just amazing that the Fords do so well at restrictor plate tracks. I bet NASCAR would love to put a smaller restrictor plate on the Fords.

• Like 1

I passed on the recent ARCA race because of this LS engine in everything; and will pass on tonight's truck race for the same reason. Unfortunately, I can believe Ford's surrender in these matters; but I am surprised that Toyota caved. There should be a public service announcements prior to the races that state that all participants will be using GM engines! I endure the "BOP" thing in IMSA; but at least a competitor's car and associated engine come from the same manufacturer.

• Like 1

I passed on the recent ARCA race because of this LS engine in everything; and will pass on tonight's truck race for the same reason. Unfortunately, I can believe Ford's surrender in these matters; but I am surprised that Toyota caved. There should be a public service announcements prior to the races that state that all participants will be using GM engines! I endure the "BOP" thing in IMSA; but at least a competitor's car and associated engine come from the same manufacturer.

I'm with you-like I said the other day...........