Transmission Issues

RiverRat87

I have a 2013 Ford Fusion SE with 101,500 Miles on her.

Had a yellow wrench light come on last friday. CEL reader showed P0741-Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid circuit performance or stuck off. Shut car off and go to drive it Saturday and it runs fine and the light is off. Come monday the yellow wrench and CEL come on. Take it to ford and they are replacing the transmission. I paid for an extended warranty up to 125,000 miles so its only costing $200 but is it known for these transmissions to go out around 100,000 miles? Will i be in the same boat in 3 years when I'm at 200,000 on the car?

I traded in my 2007 Milan (Fusion) about 18 month ago because of a intermittent driveability issue that could have been a "Torque Converter Clutch" problem.

My best friend just trade his 2008 Fusion because of a similar issue.

Both of us were sad to let the vehicles go because they were such "solid" vehicles. Both of us bought an Edge.

I traded in my 2007 Milan (Fusion) about 18 month ago because of a intermittent driveability issue that could have been a "Torque Converter Clutch" problem.

My best friend just trade his 2008 Fusion because of a similar issue.

Both of us were sad to let the vehicles go because they were such "solid" vehicles. Both of us bought an Edge.

If they were so solid, why did you spend multiple thousands to trade when you could have fixed it at a fraction of the cost, especially since you were sad to see it go?

First, the 07 and 08 didn't have a 6F35. They either had and Aisin AW21 if it had a v6, or a Mazda FNR5. Neither had much as far as serviceable parts through FoMoCo because they were outsources and they didn't buy the rights to actually service them. The running joke with FNR5 is that it is an acronym: Ford, Not Repairable 5.

As for the OP, 6F35 of that era has a variety of issues, many of which are caused by the way that they modulate the torque converter clutch (especially with 1.6 GTDI). When you start having TCC issues, you usually get a Party Pack ® - converter, pump, valve body, direct drum, clutch tower, LPC and TCC solenoids, seal kit and revised filter if the seal kit doesn't have it. I am VERY surprised you got a trans replacement instead of repair. Usually I can't drive them over my cost cap even with a case half included. The pumps are on galactic backorder, so maybe that is why? Unfortunately, we also have a phrase #blackboxonlyifyouabsolutelyhaveto because all "black box" or "reman" units have very high failure rates. I almost always push to NOT black box.

Repair parts for 6F35 are incredibly cheap compared to almost all other Ford transmissions. Typically, I can fix one that needs a Party Pack ® out the door for less than the cost of just the black box without labor.

Got the car back today as they needed to do 2 recalls as well. Seat belt tensioners and cooling system. also got a new water pump out of it.

They were able to get me a new ford transmission thru the warranty co. I was originally going to get some off brand one with a 1 year warranty. ford one comes with a 3 year warranty.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Could be the solenoid for the 3-5-R clutch, called Shift Solenoid B or SSB. At least that's where I'd start. They can mechanically hang up. There are 5 different flow 'band' numbers for that solenoid, so it will have to be either removed to match the band number or, an IDS can be used to retrieve the band number. They are NOT interchangeable.