Toyota Could Build a Small Body-On-Frame Off Roader Soon

Harley Lover

Toyota is looking to bring a new small SUV to market and off-roaders rejoice, it will be body-on-frame.
“There is room on the lower end, in terms of price or authenticity, for an off-road, frame-based SUV,” Toyota Motor North America CEO Jim Lentz told Motor Trend. “This would be for people going outdoors, but truly going offroad. This would not be all-wheel-drive for safety, this would be four-wheel-drive with ground clearance.”

Sounds like this would be a class smaller than Bronco. An interesting idea, would there be enough market to support a product like this in this size class? Would the Bronco chassis be capable of being scaled to a smaller size?

http://www.off-road.com/blog/2018/01/16/toyota-could-build-a-small-body-on-frame-fj-cruiser-successor-soon/

Edited by Harley Lover
  • Like 1

So basically a Samurai with balls...

maxresdefault.jpg

I can definitely see the appeal.

I Suppose if Ford ever wants to compete they can dust off the B2 name lol

The Troller seems about the same size so possibly they could do something with that platform?

trollert4off-roadedition-17.JPG?auto=for

Edited by probowler
  • Like 1

Toyota has the money, reputation, and the loyal customer base. Whatever they build the fanboys will clamor for it.

What scares me is, it will probably be here faster than our Bronco!

I hope youre wrong about the speed in which it comes to market, but I wouldnt be surprised.

I'll bet a beer on two things:

1. It will be ugly. If the 4Runner and Tacoma are any indication...

2. Toyota fanboys will still line up to buy it.

One thing i like about the 4runner is their power rear window, looks great and doesn't seem to have a rust problem like our Broncs.