Chicago Assembly 2020 Launch Retooling down time

Has it been confirmed if the 2020 Explorer will be rear wheel drive?

Like all the closures being aluminum to just the hood like current, things change. Like the drive train has had its talking (rumor) stages to the nothing in stone stage, so don`t be surprised that the drive train could be very much as current. With the upgrading of the superstructure (frame/suspension) and the slightly larger length and width the towing rate most likely will be pushed up somewhat. This might be the reason for all the talk of rear wheel drive but. 2WD, 4WD and AWD will be in the picture but as for the 2WD being either pulling or pushing?

Edited by Decker

I completely agree.

The insurance industry will be loving the jump in claims due in part to the learning / relearning how to drive with the rear wheels as power source. Then the misconception of the AWD giving the same benefits as a 4X4 offering that some of the public has. Going to be interesting.

I completely agree.

The insurance industry will be loving the jump in claims due in part to the learning / relearning how to drive with the rear wheels as power source. Then the misconception of the AWD giving the same benefits as a 4X4 offering that some of the public has. Going to be interesting.

I think the issues are overstated...I went from FWD, RWD, FWD, RWD and then to FWD bias AWD in the current car I have and the learning experience or relearning experience is minimal

This isn't the 1970s- Stability, traction, etc control level out the playing field for drivers these days.

• Like 1

Safe to say the Aviator will be the same? I already know what it looks like :)

I am curious as to how you and Decker know what the Explorer/Aviator look like? I take it you are involved with the project or know someone from inside? If so, you are both lucky! :) I personally think reverting to RWD/AWD is a good idea for the Explorer/Aviator. Do you know if it will resume usage of Ford's Terrain Management System with selections for snow, mud, etc.? I think it's possible we'll see it shown for Chicago or NY this year as concept form or rather the Aviator concept, that is. But then again, they gotta be careful about early reveals since it's still a year out before it enters production.

I am curious as to how you and Decker know what the Explorer/Aviator look like? I take it you are involved with the project or know someone from inside? If so, you are both lucky! :) I personally think reverting to RWD/AWD is a good idea for the Explorer/Aviator. Do you know if it will resume usage of Ford's Terrain Management System with selections for snow, mud, etc.? I think it's possible we'll see it shown for Chicago or NY this year as concept form or rather the Aviator concept, that is. But then again, they gotta be careful about early reveals since it's still a year out before it enters production.

He works at CAP, and Ive seen a drawing
  • Like 2

Yep, pffan1990 as fuzzy stated I am at Fords land of enchantment... CAP.

I`ve been dealing with the NMPD/Launch stuff a long time here at CAP and have produced units for other facilities to start their TT launch builds. The last was the MKZ. Yes it was the most talked about rumor that CAP was going to build the MKZ during and well after we stopped producing those units for some other facility. But I heard how CAP was losing this and that over the years also. Ahhhh the CAP rumor mill.

As for standard FWD or RWD the only reason there might be a learning curve has just two aspects. First, if you look at the target customer you`ll see a group of people that most likely never consider which end the power is coming from or how that even works. Second, not only the target customer will be entrenched in their driving habits but there may be a large group that hasn`t in their life time experienced the difference. Because its been at least one if not two generations that has bought, drove and gained driving experience with standard FWD. Now I`m not implying there is any secret abilities to master or any formal schooling needed I`m just pointing out the RWD will pose some challenges to those customer that have never had the experience of driving RWD in the snow, ice or even rain. But, if you`ve ever driven the Indiana Toll Road you`ll know that for some customers a dry road way and pleasant weather is sometimes challenging... so I just agree that the change will be interesting for some. (Ohio State, Michigan State and Illinois State Alumni mostly) (Go PU)

Fuzzy is correct the U611 looks good in pictures and CAD but, we will see if the end result has the same look. One thing for sure neither unit will wear any common sheet metal anywhere.

Buy the look of the RANGER "I" think you all up there in Michigan will be seeing some long over due OT. The Ford line up has needed this size 4X4 (not AWD kina 4x4) for some time.

Hang in there CAP we are on track for another long hours year.... 2020 VP build, 2018 balance out, 2019 TT build and all the construction going on at the same time this my sisters and brothers is a recipe for great rumors. Oh, not to mention all the drama. BUT ONE THING FOR SURE "ORDERS" ARE KING :salute: and we definitely have those. Now get ready for every possible hour of production that can be scheduled :hat_tip:

Without letting out any secrets "I" think the current terrain control system is what you will see. ;)

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Decker. I was going to wait for the new face of the Explorer, but now it looks like I will be jumping on a 2019. Right now as it is, I would rather drive my Edge AWD in slippery low snow conditions than my F-150. It seems to handle a lot better. The only time I will take the 150 over the Edge is in 6" or more snowy conditions.

Yep, pffan1990 as fuzzy stated I am at Fords land of enchantment... CAP.

I`ve been dealing with the NMPD/Launch stuff a long time here at CAP and have produced units for other facilities to start their TT launch builds. The last was the MKZ. Yes it was the most talked about rumor that CAP was going to build the MKZ during and well after we stopped producing those units for some other facility. But I heard how CAP was losing this and that over the years also. Ahhhh the CAP rumor mill.

As for standard FWD or RWD the only reason there might be a learning curve has just two aspects. First, if you look at the target customer you`ll see a group of people that most likely never consider which end the power is coming from or how that even works. Second, not only the target customer will be entrenched in their driving habits but there may be a large group that hasn`t in their life time experienced the difference. Because its been at least one if not two generations that has bought, drove and gained driving experience with standard FWD. Now I`m not implying there is any secret abilities to master or any formal schooling needed I`m just pointing out the RWD will pose some challenges to those customer that have never had the experience of driving RWD in the snow, ice or even rain. But, if you`ve ever driven the Indiana Toll Road you`ll know that for some customers a dry road way and pleasant weather is sometimes challenging... so I just agree that the change will be interesting for some. (Ohio State, Michigan State and Illinois State Alumni mostly) (Go PU)

Fuzzy is correct the U611 looks good in pictures and CAD but, we will see if the end result has the same look. One thing for sure neither unit will wear any common sheet metal anywhere.

Buy the look of the RANGER "I" think you all up there in Michigan will be seeing some long over due OT. The Ford line up has needed this size 4X4 (not AWD kina 4x4) for some time.

Hang in there CAP we are on track for another long hours year.... 2020 VP build, 2018 balance out, 2019 TT build and all the construction going on at the same time this my sisters and brothers is a recipe for great rumors. Oh, not to mention all the drama. BUT ONE THING FOR SURE "ORDERS" ARE KING :salute: and we definitely have those. Now get ready for every possible hour of production that can be scheduled :hat_tip:

Without letting out any secrets "I" think the current terrain control system is what you will see. ;)

Thanks so much Decker and Fuzzy for both your clarification and explanation when you both didn't have to nor were required to. I have been on this forum for so many years and reading through threads but rarely post. I also have hard time keeping up with all the users and who/what they do, etc. So I appreciate both of you taking your time to explain to me all this. Lastly, what does the following mean 'NMPD/Launch', '2020 VP build', and '2019 TT build'? I know they are acronyms but I don't know what they spell out. lol I look forward to the 2020 Explorer and to be honest, it does not matter to me if it remains FWD/AWD or reverts to RWD/AWD. I didn't like the 2011 switch to unibody FWD/AWD but now realize Ford actually did the right thing since sales more than doubled compared to BOF RWD/4WD era of Explorer. I don't even think they should have changed the name as I once did back in 2011 since many people recognize the Explorer name and have moved on from the dreadful Firestone debacle at the turn of the century.

I am glad that Expedition remains full-size BOF RWD/4WD and the upcoming Bronco will be midsize BOF RWD/4WD though I'm hoping the Bronco stays true to its roots as promised by Ford. I still think Ford should have a midsize 'mainstream' SUV of sorts that is BOF RWD/4WD to compete with the likes of 4 Runner. So I suspect the Everest will be redesigned at some point and built at MAP alongside Ranger and Bronco to fill that market once ruled by earlier Explorer. Or possibly Everest would get a quick-update-via-Ranger style of updating and built here. Who knows. lol That way, Ford will have a wide range of unibody crossovers from EcoSport to Edge (or Explorer?) and BOF SUVs from Bronco to Expedition in the small-to-large size. I know the Flex is going away by 2020 (unless Ford has changed plans which not announced publically yet), and it's possible the next Edge would offer 3-row seating to fill the gap between 2-row Edge and Explorer. Who knows but I'm so excited since the next 18-24 months will be quite busy and very active for Ford in terms of auto show reveals and production of cars both updated and redesigned!

Thanks so much Decker and Fuzzy for both your clarification and explanation when you both didn't have to nor were required to. I have been on this forum for so many years and reading through threads but rarely post. I also have hard time keeping up with all the users and who/what they do, etc. So I appreciate both of you taking your time to explain to me all this. Lastly, what does the following mean 'NMPD/Launch', '2020 VP build', and '2019 TT build'?

TT is Tool Tryout. VP refers to a stage in a pre-production vehicle launch. I'm lost on NMPD.

Edited by Pioneer

Police.... Description?? Division?? Display??

New Model Product Development or Launch, For way to many years than I want to admit too, I just worked at balancing out the current model and ramping up for the next model. Then it became Launching this or that and just recently I was corrected by a NMPDCenter individual that I was developing a new model at the plant level.... so I stood corrected.

Names, labels, faces and how they refer to processes change but I still just set up operations as operator friendly as I can for so many years.

If your a purest (like me) the Bronco will not be received to well. I think I`m still on track for a Wrangler. My son has a Rubicon and cares for it as I do for the FXRDG. (1984 FXR Disc Glide)

Oh well, I wish but, I don`t think the glass house will listen to the 4X4 crowd.

Edited by Decker
  • Like 3