2018 Navigator Master Discussion Thread

HofstraJet

Let's use this thread to discuss issues/likes/dislikes/etc. about the 2018 Navigators. I have lots of small things that don't merit their own thread, so I thought it would be useful to have one thread for discussion of minor items, such as:

How do you feel about the engine stopping at every red light? Very off putting. Not sure if I like it. Have to manually turn it off every time car starts unless in Excite mode.

Love the auto hold feature.

I appear to be too tall for the HUD - the top gets cut off and I have the seat as low as possible and the HUD as low as possible.

Any way to turn off the lane departure warning? I already have it at Alert Only and low intensity, but the vibrating steering wheel whenever I change lanes without signaling is annoying! Hopefully it has its own fuse.

Looking forward to enjoying my new ride and figuring it out with the rest of you.

On other vehicles the lane departure is controlled with a button on the end of the turn signal. But the owner’s manual should tell you this and tons of other stuff you may not even know about. I recommend reading through it at least once. You can get a pdf version at owner.ford.com or motorcraft service.com.

• Like 2

On other vehicles the lane departure is controlled with a button on the end of the turn signal. But the owner’s manual should tell you this and tons of other stuff you may not even know about. I recommend reading through it at least once. You can get a pdf version at owner.ford.com or motorcraft service.com.

Excellent! LOL

I had the manual downloaded for a month prior to delivery and never got around to reading it. As you accurately indicated, the manual states that the button on the end of the turn signal turns it off! Thanks!

Edited by HofstraJet

I sent the manual to my kindle and have referred to it several times while sitting in a parking lot after driving. I am not a fan of the auto off/on feature and turn it off each time I get in the car. I think I forgot to turn it off today and while waiting at a intersection to turn right I saw a gap and gunned it, either the tires were spinning or something more ominous was slipping because there was a definite jumping/vibration from the rear that I did not like at all. Hopefully it was just tirespin over the painted lines in the cross walk, either way I did not like the experience. I am considering getting a FORScan device to turn that feature off for good. Other than that I am very pleased with the truck and have just shy of 500 miles so far. I appreciate the lane keeping feature and parking aides as this vehicle is much larger than our previous one, once Im comfortable Ill turn off the lane keeping feature. Still havent driven it at night so excited to use the active headlamps and experience the welcome mats. Coming from the car we traded in the Navigator is a major upgrade in every way, its actually the nicest vehicle weve ever owned or considered owning. I fear we have spoiled ourselves with the luxury and may never be able to go back, my wife drove her Honda Fit to work and texted me upon arrival how she missed the heated seats in the Navigator. My wife loves the seats and was glad we decided to get the 30 ways. We got all the windows tinted already and got paint correction and ceramic coating. Truck looks awesome. Love the HUD and Im only 56 so no issues there. We are really pleased with the fit and finish and really glad we went with the luxury of the Navigator over the truck feel of the Expedition. The only downfall is, at the moment, its just too nice to take it camping or down the forest service roads. Come spring fishing season the natural call to the river will win out. Having car seats and two kids under two has been bitter sweet, the sweet part are the wide doors and retractable running boards are so awesome for loading and unloading, the bitter part is kids are destructive, hopefully we can mitigate that as much as possible. Once I got the seats set, which took days and I still make minute adjustments, every is exactly where I want it and everything in the drivers position seems so well thought out and designed, I feel like the vehicle was designed to be a driver in every sense of the word, its comfortable when I want it and fast and sporty, sporty as a 6000 pound truck can be, when I want it to be. In a couple weeks we will be using the 3rd row seating so Im excited to see how functional it is carrying people. Overall we love the Navigator and feel as if the price we paid was justified, Ive bought several cars and never had that feeling.

• 2 weeks later...

The one thing that is the most surprising to me after only driving it 25 miles home from the dealership -- peace and quiet. It is quieter than any vehicle I think I've ever had, and that covers american, german, and japanese manufacturers.

The one thing that is the most surprising to me after only driving it 25 miles home from the dealership -- peace and quiet. It is quieter than any vehicle I think I've ever had, and that covers american, german, and japanese manufacturers.

I didnt notice how pronounced this was until I drove my moms car (she has the same car I traded in for the Navigator) after a week of having the Navigator, holy cow it was a wake up call to how loud it was. My kids fall asleep so fast in it lol

I noticed the same thing about our MKX. It's one of the most enjoyable things about that vehicle along with the Revel audio system. At least until the tires got some miles on them and got loud (one may have slipped a belt). Just replaced them and all quiet again. Lincoln is really doing a good job in this area the last few years.

A little off topic, but we are going to test the paint out on this thing. The family and I went in to dinner last night, came back out to a swarm of birds and over 200 craps on our 48 hour old car. I'm sure you can imagine my demeanor.

With kids tired, upset, and ready to get home, they and my wife appeased me while I took it to a self power wash setup across town since i refused to let it sit on there. We joke on the mute button above, but I was surprised how well my wife understood...perhaps because it's HER car :)

A little off topic, but we are going to test the paint out on this thing. The family and I went in to dinner last night, came back out to a swarm of birds and over 200 craps on our 48 hour old car. I'm sure you can imagine my demeanor.

With kids tired, upset, and ready to get home, they and my wife appeased me while I took it to a self power wash setup across town since i refused to let it sit on there. We joke on the mute button above, but I was surprised how well my wife understood...perhaps because it's HER car :)

Get a ceramic coating for your paint, I cant recomend it enough!! I did mine 3 days after taking delivery and the guy did a paint correction before applying the coating, I couldnt believe the difference. The coating goes on the wheels and windshield too and it keeps bugs and bird crap from sticking and it makes washing it so much easier. Its not cheap but when compared to the cost of the vehicle it was a no brainer for us.

Otherwise known in the dealer industry as "mop-n-glo". Ceramics seem to be better than the old paste wax but they still only last 6-12 months no matter what they claim.

I have a 5 year old Ruby Red Fusion that's never been waxed and it looks brand new. Then again it's been garaged most of its life.

Does anyone hear a slight wind whistling sound from the windshield starting at 40-45 mph? It's subtle, but it's there. Can't hear it with normal conversation or the radio on, but if everything is off and just driving on a smooth road, it is audible. No water coming in and it's a lease, so I'm not going to take it in unless it worsens. Just curious if it was just me. Thanks!

Also, for those coming from an Expedition, do the doors (and the vehicle in general) feel much bigger than the Expedition? I know overall dimensions are nearly identical to prior year Expeditions, but everything feels much bigger.

Edited by HofstraJet

Otherwise known in the dealer industry as "mop-n-glo". Ceramics seem to be better than the old paste wax but they still only last 6-12 months no matter what they claim.

I have a 5 year old Ruby Red Fusion that's never been waxed and it looks brand new. Then again it's been garaged most of its life.

I went with Gtechniq Crystal Serum and they claim 7 years and its registered with them and they say theyll reapply for no charge if there is an issue with it. It does require a yearly maintenance but my detailer comes to me for that. Im having him out monthly to keep the vehicle clean anyway. Weve had pretty strict water restrictions here in the summer and I dont enjoy washing and waxing and all that anymore. I keep a cordless dyson in the mud room that I spot vacuum daily so its easy to keep the inside clean but my kids are under two so the true test is yet to come as they age.

Gtechniq is as good as it comes in my book for ceramic coating, and the stuff works. I have to side with akirby here though and agree it lasts less than 12 months, and the maintenance is reapplying sealant essentially to keep it from wearing off completely. Each year it will degrade more and more until there isn't any left (the end of term) and the maintenance periods are to slow that degrading.

Ceramic coating is also far cheaper than alternatives. I did a front to back, full body coverage Suntek PPF on my Audi RS5. The stuff is amazing, it protects way more than ceramic, doesn't shine quite as much, and is self healing. The two downsides to this are cost and cost. Obviously the film is expensive, but you have to spend quite a bit on a good installer so they wrap the edges for the seamless look.

Re: windshield noise -- nothing in mine. Sounds like it has a gap in the adhesive and/or seal which is causing it. The volume should theoretically increase on windy days or as speed increases. I've always had this happen on every replacement windshield at some point regardless of the glass or the installer.

Yearly maintenance means they reapply it because it doesnt last more than a year. Its good stuff but youre paying for the warranty more than anything.

I see your point. When it comes to anything paint or body Im a complete moron lol. Either way Ive been impressed with how easily bugs and such have come off the front bumper area. He said the yearly thing didnt have a charge so all in all Im happy.