2019 Toyota Avalon Debuts

rmc523

hahaha not hard to do when you'll be down to a market of one or two products :p

Yes sir. The cars are big, the segment is small. :)

List of full-size sedans from non-premium brands designed and made in the USA:

1.) Toyota Avalon

2.) Chevrolet Impala

3.) Buick LaCrosse

4.) Nissan Maxima

5.) Ford Taurus

Before '19 Avalon was introduced, LaCrosse was the newest model in this segment. It is more luxury oriented than the others though, with market positioning similar to Lincoln MKZ and Lexus ES.

Yes sir. The cars are big, the segment is small. :)

List of full-size sedans from non-premium brands designed and made in the USA:

1.) Toyota Avalon

2.) Chevrolet Impala

3.) Buick LaCrosse

4.) Nissan Maxima

5.) Ford Taurus

Before '19 Avalon was introduced, LaCrosse was the newest model in this segment. It is more luxury oriented than the others though, with market positioning similar to Lincoln MKZ and Lexus ES.

Maxima is big?

I mean literally big. I know Maxima is still positioned above Altima in the lineup, but for the past decade or so the cars have been very nearly identical in size. Same wheelbases, within an inch of each other in other dimensions.

I’m sure rperez will enlighten us with the exact dimensions while inserting random comments about fleet dumping.

Thank you papilgee4evaeva and akirby sir. :)

Both Altima and Maxima share a 109.3" wheelbase. Maxima is a little bit longer (192.8" for Maxima, 191.9" for Altima) and wider (73.2" vs 72.0"). For comparison, '18 Toyota Avalon has 111.0" wheelbase, 195.3" length, and 72.2" width. '19 Avalon is larger than '18 Avalon in all dimensions except height.

Meanwhile, Nissans fill the rental lots...

Yes sir, they do. I don't know what percentage of Nissan USA's sales go to fleet. Definitely less than Ford though. Nissans are kind of popular at rental car places and for company cars in my experience. I got a Maxima SR Midnight Edition as a rental car when visiting family in San Antonio a few weeks ago. Decent vehicle. It accelerates quickly and smoothly and is agile for a big car, but the interior is cramped. XSE and Touring versions of the '19 Avalon should be just as sporty as Maxima but with a much better designed, roomier interior.

6i5yjs.jpg

2s5xpb7.jpg

Thank God Ford got the message that sedans are dead-at least the ones that get no upgrades or marketing effort..

Better take care of my SHO. From Panther Mafia to Taurus Mafia. Sad life I live :(

If they look like this Avalon, then they should be dead.

I had read a while back that Toyota was bringing this out. But lets be honest, Toyota is a car company first and a truck company second so they arent abandoning the car market.

I dont think Ford needs a stand-alone large sedan, but I think it could be useful to have an L model of the next Fusion or whatever it will be, if it doesnt cost much to do.

If Fords strategy is to abandon the car market, that is not something I am onboard with. Its very unclear what their car strategy is at this point.