Offical 2019 Ranger thread

that is a strike against it for me for sure. Its a must have even if I have to cut a hole in it myself.

I've had a moonroof in every car I've owned since my '95 SHO with the exception of my 2003 Focus. I can't see not having one.

And the Hot Pepper Red pictured on ford.com put this orange to shame. They went with the wrong color for the press photos.

After digesting some of the info, I'm a little disappointed that the first model year's going to be a bit restrictive with it's offerings. The oil burner we expect to arrive eventually might not make sense for the first year of US production and adding more aluminum probably is more challenging after the hood and tailgate are already done, but it seems strange that at least a couple more cab/bed combinations couldn't be made available with still a year to go before it's on dealer lots.

I also would have liked to see the US truck launch in time with a global update rather than getting it a couple years later, but that's essentially just vanity. It's a good looking truck, I have always preferred this current Ranger's look to the rest of the segment. And I quite like what I've seen of our version's interior.

Overall it's not earth-shattering or reality-altering, it's a good-looking truck that I think will do pretty well. If Ford does right by it, builds it well and keeps up with the segment, there's gonna be tons of these on the road in no time.

• Like 1

I like the overall styling and grill/rear end design. I don't ever recall Ford putting the name of the model on the front grill? Interior to me is a little boring and that 8" screen looks small. Like I mentioned, not a fan of the steering wheel button combo that Ford uses and this as bad as i've seen recently.

Can someone clarify the phone hang up button on the top right of the wheel-is that what that button does? I rented an Explorer last year and the button hang up was on the top and to start a call it was the bottom button and that does not make any sense to me at all.

One other comment on the dash design and it is used on every Ford/Lincoln product-the PRNDL configuration has not changed in 10 or so years. Every IP that i've seen has that same set up-why the hell can't they redesign that-and I don't even think it is digital in most of their vehicles?

Interesting that there is no antenna-a first for Ford on a truck!! Why they have not discontinued the antenna on the F150 is comical.

Powertrain packaging is a concern, like many have stated, but this will likely satisfy 90% of the market. Glad to see the 10 speed tranny standard-interesting that the comment from Ford was "be a leader in torque" and not MPG!!!

The biggest disappointment to me is how long they have taken to get this to market-considering it is not an all new vehicle. Not due out for another year or more-1st qtr of 2019 can be end of March-and that is likely when they start to build them. Reminds me of the T-bird-they showed that vehicle 2 years early and by the time it came to market that was way old news. I realize this is not in the same market and won't suffer that affect, but come on.

• Like 1

I am not so interested in how it looks although I think it looks fine. I am not sure I could live with a turbo 4 instead of a V6 but, at one time, I didn't think I could live with a turbo V6 instead of a V8. My current Ranger is 17 years old, hauled everything from dirt to building materials and has been a loyal companion when the snow is deep here in Minnesota. Still looks pretty good for an old girl but I have to start thinking about replacing it....

post-34962-0-78207900-1515948160_thumb.jpg

I am not so interested in how it looks although I think it looks fine. I am not sure I could live with a turbo 4 instead of a V6 but, at one time, I didn't think I could live with a turbo V6 instead of a V8. My current Ranger is 17 years old, hauled everything from dirt to building materials and has been a loyal companion when the snow is deep here in Minnesota. Still looks pretty good for an old girl but I have to start thinking about replacing it....

When we purchased my wifes Explorer, we went with the 2.3EB over the 3.5NA. It is a great little motor with lots of low end torque. I think the 2.3 EB with the 10 speed auto is going to surprise people. Edited by NLPRacing
  • Like 1

When we purchased my wifes Explorer, we went with the 2.3EB over the 3.5NA. It is a great little motor with lots of low end torque. I think the 2.3 EB with the 10 speed auto is going to surprise people.

Alot of people (even on BON) have not experienced a Ecoboost. The 2.3L isn't your normal 4-banger for sure. Mating it to the 10 speed will only magnify the performance. 4.6L to the pit of misery!

• Like 1

I don't tow a lot of weight very often but when I do I don't want to hear a screaming 4 banger. Sorry, but it is what it is.

Thats all you had to say. But in my experience, Ecoboost engines are very quiet until you floor it. But no engine is quiet at that point.

ROW Ranger payload is just shy of 3000lbs. Your Sport Trac is 1380lbs (Composite bed). ROW Ranger max towing as high as 7700lbs vs 6800Lbs max for V8 Sport Trac. Even with the 2.3L 10 Speed combo. Ranger wont have any trouble keeping or beating your Trac. Don't run one at a light if your all stock. ;)

@ Sullynd- Nobody should consider any Raptor if towing is a major requirement. its an off-road vehicle first.

(I messed up doing a multi-quote sorry guys)

From the Ford website:

The proven 2.3L EcoBoost® engine with Auto Start-Stop technology is designed to optimize power and efficiency using turbocharging and direct gasoline injection. It’s also paired with the innovative, class-exclusive 10-speed automatic transmission.

I assume that means the 2.3 EB still uses direct injection only, not in combination with port injection...

I am also curious to see the bare engine block. I wonder if they have incorporated the upper water jacket filler to strengthen the cylinder walls? My guess is no.

Thats all you had to say. But in my experience, Ecoboost engines are very quiet until you floor it. But no engine is quiet at that point.

ROW Ranger payload is just shy of 3000lbs. Your Sport Trac is 1380lbs (Composite bed). ROW Ranger max towing as high as 7700lbs vs 6800Lbs max for V8 Sport Trac. Even with the 2.3L 10 Speed combo. Ranger wont have any trouble keeping or beating your Trac. Don't run one at a light if your all stock. ;)

I'm going to go out on limb and guess that most of those ROW Ranger specs are based on the 3.2L I-5 turbo diesel.

Sport Trac is not completely stock. I added a larger throttle body, K&N CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust and a 'Bama tune. It will surprise a few people too. I can easily outrun my nephew's 6.2L Sierra Denali AWD in a pure drag race. Towing is another story. He has a definite torque advantage on hills.

• Like 2

Alot of people (even on BON) have not experienced a Ecoboost. The 2.3L isn't your normal 4-banger for sure. Mating it to the 10 speed will only magnify the performance. 4.6L to the pit of misery!

I think youre right. Ive had a few EcoBoost powered vehicles and theyve all impressed me. I had a 13 Escape 2.0EB & a 14 Fusion 2.0EB and currently have my wifes 17 Explorer 2.3EB and a 17 Fusion Sport 2.7EB. The 2.7EB is a beast. If a Ranger Raptor comes out with the 2.7EB, it will be unbeatable.

I dont see why a 2.3EB Ranger wouldnt have similar payload & rowing as a 2.7EB F150 since theyll probably have a similar power to weight ratio.