2019 Ford Ranger Speculation thread

OK. basic question.

If this is the same world wide truck, why is it taking so long for production?

The North American versions of Ranger will have its own unique gasoline power trains,

It's also timed with a major evolution of T6 Global Ranger, all development work is done

out of Geelong in Australia, Ford NA only decided in the last two years it wanted Ranger again.

A lot of the waiting has to do with plans being revealed by UAW official long before Ford was ready.

Rest assured that it is different to the first T6 Rangers that came out in late 2010.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Since this seems to be the most current of the ongoing Ranger discussions, does anyone know what the current production capacity is for the 2.7 EB? I know Ford currently uses it in multiple platforms including F-150, Edge and Fusion. With that in mind, does Ford have enough capacity to use this engine as an option in the Ranger? Does the potential demise of the Fusion play into this?

Also, knowing that Ford has updated the 2.7 EB in the 2018 F-150 with dual injection resulting in a max torque rating of 400 lb ft, does Ford still build the first gen Nano V-6 for other models besides the F-150? Which version, if any, would likely be used in the Ranger?

If the 1st gen 2.7 EB is still in production, which transmission would it be paired with if used in the Ranger, the 6 or 10-speed auto?

Since this seems to be the most current of the ongoing Ranger discussions, does anyone know what the current production capacity is for the 2.7 EB? I know Ford currently uses it in multiple platforms including F-150, Edge and Fusion. With that in mind, does Ford have enough capacity to use this engine as an option in the Ranger? Does the potential demise of the Fusion play into this?

Also, knowing that Ford has updated the 2.7 EB in the 2018 F-150 with dual injection resulting in a max torque rating of 400 lb ft, does Ford still build the first gen Nano V-6 for other models besides the F-150? Which version, if any, would likely be used in the Ranger?

If the 1st gen 2.7 EB is still in production, which transmission would it be paired with if used in the Ranger, the 6 or 10-speed auto?

unfortunately the only people who work at Lima who have accounts here are a few quasi-trolls that contribute nothing to the actual conversations in the employee section, so unless someone finds official numbers we can only really speculate.
  • Like 1

I wonder how much weight difference there will be between this and the F150 if they stick with steel. I hope there is significant fuel mileage difference unlike the old Ranger which from my experience was very poor for the vehicle size if not worse than the full size. IMO and for my purpose this would be a definite consideration. If only 10% or so difference may as well stick with an F150 with more capacity.

Edited by T-bird

On the old Ranger not only was the body ancient, so were the drivetrains. The new truck may not have significantly better mileage than a full size but it will still be respectable.

Some people need a more sensibly sized vehicle 99% of the time. That's why I am still driving my nearly eleven year old Sport Trac. It still runs great and it is the perfect size for my needs, unlike the F-150.

Edited by blksn8k2

Some people need a more sensibly sized vehicle 99% of the time. That's why I am still driving my nearly eleven year old Sport Trac. It still runs great and it is the perfect size for my needs, unlike the F-150.

People keep asking me (coworkers especially for some reason) keep asking me why I dont get an F-150 instead of waiting for a Ranger. This is exactly why. The main reason anyway. That and I prefer to buy what I build (assuming Im brought back in November) and the immediate financial ramifications. Im enjoying having only 1 car note at the moment.

I wonder how much weight difference there will be between this and the F150 if they stick with steel. I hope there is significant fuel mileage difference unlike the old Ranger which from my experience was very poor for the vehicle size if not worse than the full size. IMO and for my purpose this would be a definite consideration. If only 10% or so difference may as well stick with an F150 with more capacity.

The old Ranger went both ways. The 4.0L/automatic/4wd was a gas guzzling pig and often times did get worse than a 150 because by 04'ish the 150 had a front end that unlocked whereas the ranger didn't.

However the ranger with the 2.3L duratec/M5OD/2wd was a fuel sipper. I still have the window sticker from mine showing 22/27 EPA rating and it's not uncommon to hit 30 in practice. And honestly the 2.3 is enough power for the size of the truck. It's not like there's enough chassis or mass in the truck to be pulling big trailers or anything. I've put 4000 lbs (about the safe limit for the chassis) behind the 2.3L and it was slow, but not dangerously so.

Also the 1997 and older 4x4s got better mileage. The TTB front end had locking hubs so 4wd wasn't really a gas mileage penalty since you ran around freewheeling the front end on the street. That and the pushrod 4.0L got better mileage in my experience than the later 4.0L SOHC. A 1997 4.0L/M5OD/4wd is usually a solid 18/23 truck with 25 possible on the highway sometimes. Obviously that's not too impressive by today's standards, but it was for the late 90s when half ton 4x4s were getting 13/17. What's sad is that Ford let it rot on the vine, with fuel economy actually getting worse with the newer SOHC engine and the full-time IFS.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

Consider the new Ranger as a product that covers both the older Ranger 2WD single cab pick up all the way up to a 4x4 Sport Trac

so it's going to mean different things to different people. Hopefully, Ranger casts a wide enough net to capture all those buyers who

are looking for something not as big and cumbersome as an F150..

Merry Christmas folks..

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Hopefully they do a better job cold testing the Ranger than they did with the last F-150. They have been fighting frozen door latches since the latest generation launched in 2014.

I think the frozen door latches had little to do with the temperature and more to do with mismatched metals interacting poorly with each other to the detriment of the owner of the vehicle.

• Like 1

.I think the frozen door latches had little to do with the temperature and more to do with mismatched metals interacting poorly with each other to the detriment of the owner of the vehicle.

That or poor quality brought about by cost pressure on supplier.

Water intrusion is the cause of the frozen door locks. Which probably goes back to the previously mentioned pressure on the suppliers for cheaper parts.

The first TSB involved cleaning out water and lubricating new door latches.

The second TSB involves inspecting for kinked cables and actuator rods as well as installing better rain shields.

The door latch recall became more comprehensive with latches, links cables and shields

all being either replaced or checked for proper installation and operation.

Back on Ranger, there's only so much cold weather testing that can be carried out in the laboratory,

there's still an need to get out in actual conditions and do proper field evaluation of new/changed parts.

This has been done in the past with a lot less notice because those rangers weren't bound for North America.

I probably wouldn't get too excited about the engine choice that is supposedly being shown in Bangkok. If the rumor is true about the Raptor getting the 2.0L turbo diesel that may only be true for that market. Or someone may have just confused the rumor of the announcement at Bangkok that the Ranger would be getting the 2.0 as the base diesel with the announcement (rumor?) that the Raptor would be shown at the same show.

It should also be obvious that some "news" outlets release outrageous crap as click bait. It's called "fake news" for a reason.

• Like 1

Ecoblue 2.0 in different state of tune is replacing the Puma 2.0, 2.2, and 2.4 in Ranger and Transit. Not sure about the 3.2.

I would have expected the 3.0 V6 diesel in the Raptor (if rumor that 3.0 V6 is replacing the Puma 3.2 I5 is true)

The higher tune in 2.0 Ecoblue basically replaces the 3.2 I-5 Puma in power and torque almost...

If they put a ten speed auto on the new 2.0 I-4, it should be quicker than the old 3.2 anyway,

Edited by jpd80

Someone in the comments thinks this is the new Bronco:

w8jafaa1boebfhwaeddt.jpg

Funny enough this is still the most traditional looking SUV ford has... at least for now.

As for that Ranger it definitely has a Sport Trac vibe... Shame it's so big, they should really just call it as it is: an F100

Edited by probowler

Someone in the comments thinks this is the new Bronco:

w8jafaa1boebfhwaeddt.jpg

Funny enough this is still the most traditional looking SUV ford has... at least for now.

As for that Ranger it definitely has a Sport Trac vibe... Shame it's so big, they should really just call it as it is: an F100

lol yeah totally not a bronco.